18.

HUNTER

I couldn't sleep- again. This was becoming my new standard. Instead of getting frustrated, I decided to use my time productively. I took my laptop to the hotel lounge and researched Mateo's mate.

He didn't seem in a good mood, so I left him alone for the night. He needed some rest because he had been working nonstop for the past couple of weeks trying to find out about Morgan. He had been the one to take on all the burden while the rest of us could frolic around. My brother needed a break.

I reviewed all the details the cyber team had sent Mateo about Myra. At first, everything about her seemed normal, but I felt something wasn't right. The more I tried to find out about her, the less information I got.

It slowly confirmed my belief that something was wrong with her information. It all felt planted carefully. I didn't find much about her education or work experience.

I found whatever info was available on the pack website— she was a junior administrator at the Moon Creek Pack downtown. It was a small pack, and I decided to dig into its Alpha and the other members, too, since I'd be meeting them soon.

I looked through the pack pictures; oddly, Myra was in none of them. I frowned to myself as I kept looking at other things. I wished it was all in my head and that Myra was an ordinary girl. The last thing I wanted was for Mateo to lose his mind over his mate. That wouldn't be pretty.

I spent hours combing through all the info and communicating with our cyber team, but I couldn't achieve much. I was frustrated and about to give up and go for another run when I spotted Mateo in the hotel reception.

It was early morning, and seeing him up so early worried me. I could tell that he hadn't slept much.

"Where are you going?" I asked him after catching up.

"I'm going to meet the pack's Alpha," He answered.

"Now?" I asked, "It's four thirty in the morning," I pointed out, even though I knew why he was getting so restless about seeing her. I'd have been in the same state if it happened to me. No, wait, I don't think I'd have been able to hold myself back this long if my mate left me. I'd have immediately gone after her and made her stay with me no matter what.

Mateo was too patient. I was the impulsive one. However, his patience hadn't been producing results lately. Maybe being impulsive now and then was good- well, it was for me.

"We'd be there in half an hour. Most of the pack members are up by that time for training," he suggested. I nodded.

"I'll go with you," I offered.

"I'd have dragged you with me anyway," He shot, tossing me the car keys. I gave him a stupid grin before heading out with him. The ride to the pack was quiet. It wasn't the tense kind of silence. Matt was deep in his thoughts, thinking... or maybe missing his mate.

I'd have done the latter if I were him. But I had to admit that focusing on his problem made me forget about my issue. It was still there, but it didn't bug me anymore. Instead, I felt a strange sense of relief. It was the relief one experiences knowing they are doing what they should do.

...what if it meant that I was going to find my mate, too?

The idea suddenly crossed my mind, and I stepped on the gas.

"What the fuck was that!" Matt growled. I laughed.

"An idea crossed my mind," I told him, grinning.

"That's bad," He muttered, "Your ideas make the devil look innocent,"

"No, this isn't that kind of an idea," I clarified, licking my lips. It intensely excited me now that I thought about it. Previously, I had never considered it a possibility, but now, I have hope. "We have been feeling strange for the past few weeks. You ended up meeting your mate. What if I'm close to meeting mine, too?" I proposed.

Matt remained silent for a while before speaking, "If you meet yours, I hope she doesn't run away like mine did,"

His words pinched my heart but, at the same time, made me more determined to hunt down that girl named Myra who had done this to my brother.

"I'm positive that wouldn't happen. I have irresistible charm," I jabbed. Matt snorted but said nothing. "Fortunately for you, I have enough charm for the two of us. I can charm your mate on your behalf,"

"Enough talking," He growled. "Now focus on the road. I want to get there soon and in one piece, hopefully,"

"Of course you do," I chuckled. "I'm sure she'd be happy to see you the first thing in the morning,"

"That is if she lives there in the first place," he muttered, but I heard him. His mood remained terrible despite my attempts to lift it.

"On a side note, did you get anything on Morgan?" I asked him.

"No," I gritted, grinding his teeth.

"Myra is the woman Fidel claimed to have some info, isn't it?" I checked.

"Yes,"

"All the more reasons to find her," I noted, "She is the pack administrator. She could know a thing or two about the famous hacker. Morgan had fucked everyone's systems at least once," I pondered.

"For now, it'd be good enough for me to see her again," Matt muttered gloomier than usual. I sighed deeply.

"We'll find her, brother," I assured him, despite my doubts.

~

Well, well, do you think they'll find her in the pack? Comment and share your thoughts about the story so far. All your feedback is appreciated.

Read daily updates on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

thanks for reading <3