13.

MATEO

It took all my self-control to refrain from leaping over the table, sweeping her into my arms, and claiming her. Her enticing scent filled the room, overtaking my senses and clouding my judgment.

I forgot everything about the party and the night as soon as I laid eyes on her. Nothing else mattered to me then, only the she-wolf sitting before me- my mate, my to-be wife.

I had dreamed of having a mate of my own and having a family with her for so fucking long. I had almost given up on that dream a couple of years ago when it felt like I was out of luck. Usually, wolves found their mates in their early twenties, and it was said that once you were past thirty and mateless, you were to remain mateless for the rest of your life.

Once I turned thirty, I accepted my mateless fate, even though it was hard for me to do so. But somehow, I came to terms with it and learned to accept and live with it.

Seeing her tonight was nothing less than a blessing, a miracle for me. Yet, she was looking at me with disapproval in her eyes. There was another unknown emotion in her I couldn't recognise. I wondered why she was resisting me. Didn't she want a mate too?

On top of that, she claimed that Fidel would propose to her tonight. The thought immediately raised an inferno inside me. I wanted to find him and rip him to shreds, even though he was innocent. I couldn't help the waves of intense emotions taking over my logical side like a tsunami.

I had just met her, and I was already a mess. It terrified me to an extent, but at the same time, it excited me in an unfathomable way. The mating bond seemed to be working its charm on me already.

"When did you meet Fidel?" I asked her, using every fibre of self-control in my body to stay logical. I didn't want to scare her away. I needed her to like me, to crave me the same way I was craving her already.

"Just a few days ago," she shrugged, leaning back and fixing me with her burning, determined gaze. It made me feel weak in places I didn't know I could feel weak.

This damn female.

"And you decided to get married?" I asked, finding her answer somewhat irrational. It seemed as if she was trying to test me. I wouldn't be surprised if that were her primary intent, but I couldn't help but wonder why.

"Yes, it was love at first sight," she said with a suggestive smile. "A whirlwind romance. I cannot wait to be with him." She spoke dreamily, making me thirstier for Fidel's blood. My wolf was already plotting to kill him, but I tried my best to keep my logical side working.

I kept reminding myself that Fidel was innocent. He didn't know she was my mate, and once he did, he'd remove himself from the picture altogether. I could tell he'd figured it out already when I interrupted them, which was why he'd left in haste.

"I see," I muttered. " Then why did he leave you?" I pointed it out, and she frowned at me, getting her defences up.

"You scared him away," She snapped.

"Rightly so because you're mine now," I stated.

"No, I'm not!" she said, her voice sharp and her eyes murderous. For some strange reason, I found that immensely attractive. Her fighting spirit kindled my desire for her. She was one glorious female, and I felt like the luckiest man to have been paired with her.

They said good things took time, and looking at her, all my years of loneliness and disappointment felt worth it. I was indirectly being prepared for her, and I couldn't feel more blessed. I must have done something to impress the moon goddess. I couldn't wait to take her home, make her mine and give her everything she could ever demand. I was finally prepared for a mate... but she seemed oddly guarded.

"You don't seem pleased to be my mate," I commented, examining her.

"You're not what I asked for," She muttered. I cocked an eyebrow, feeling a pinch in my heart, but at the same time, I wanted to listen to her. If there were a way I could make her like me, I would do that no matter what. I needed her to like me... to love me, or else I wouldn't know what I'd do with myself.

A mate's rejection meant a painful existence. The thought of her rejecting me sent another wave of intense emotions coursing through me. No, I wouldn't let that happen. I'd work hard to win her heart no matter what.

"Then what did you ask for?" I asked her, "Tell me, and I'll provide it for you... anything," I stated. I might as well have offered her a blank check, but I didn't care. She was invaluable, and no amount of money or wealth mattered to me if I couldn't have her.

She laughed in my face and said, "You don't know what you're talking about." It felt like a challenge.

"I don't?" I tested. "Then tell me what you're talking about," I demanded, ready for a challenge. She was my challenge, and I was more than enthusiastic about conquering her, about making her mine no matter what.

She laughed again, mocking. Her eyes twinkled with mischievousness, setting my loins on fire. I thought I couldn't crave her more, but I didn't mind being proven wrong. I was already discovering so many new things about myself, and it thrilled me. I wondered what else she'd make me learn about myself and, eventually, about her. I couldn't wait to find out.

Did I already mention that I felt blessed to have her?

"You're underestimating me," I commented, dishing back her challenge. "I'm the Alpha of the Nightfall pack. There's nothing I couldn't do for you," I told her fiercely. She smiled at me again, but this time, it was different. There was a knowing look in her eyes that I couldn't ignore. If anything, it made me more curious and hungry for her. I wanted to know everything about her.

"I see," She said, "I'll think about it, but I must leave now. I don't like my boyfriend to keep waiting,"

~

What do you think of their interaction so far? Comment and let me know.

Read daily updates on Patreon. Link is in my bio.

thanks for reading <3