4.

HUNTER

It took us a while to get out of Jeremy's house. We found a lot of hard drives that seemed to be full of data. It'd be given to Blake, our head of the cyber team, to see if we could find anything else about Morgan. I found some notes made by Jeremy about some of Morgan's previous work. I had ensured to take them as well.

It was dark when we finally managed to leave. It took us a whole day just to do this work, and I was feeling agitated because I had other plans for today as well, but I couldn't take care of them because of raiding Jeremy's house. Despite all of this, we were one step ahead.

We now knew Morgan was a she-wolf, and she lived somewhere on the southern coast. Interesting. Very Interesting. Of all the people, it happened to be a she-wolf. Who could have ever thought about that?

But it kind of complicated things for a bit. Usually, we knew all our enemies, and most of them happened to be men. There were a couple of she-wolves on the list, too, but I could imagine none of them to be Morgan... they didn't have the nerve to do what Morgan did.

It made me more curious about her, and I could tell that my brother had the same feelings about this whole Morgan ordeal. It had been years since she had been messing with us. Last year, she had stolen ten million from us, and Mateo had been mad since then.

This was when things turned severe for us. It was one thing to mess with us and another thing to steal so much money.

I had been on the grounds since then, trying to find Morgan myself. Previously, I had a separate team looking at Morgan, but I decided to take things into my own hands after it got that serious.

Finally, we seemed to have some clue, filling me with a strange excitement. Morgan had been a big mystery we were trying to solve, and finally, we seemed to have a clue. We could eventually move in a direction where we could finally get to her and stop her from ruining us.

Whoever she was, we couldn't deny that she was very powerful and had the absolute potential to bring us down. This couldn't be allowed.

When I stepped out of Jeremy's house, a cold breeze brushed my hair, soothing me for a bit. I stood on his driveway for a second and breathed in the fresh night air. Immediately, it made my wolf stir.

It had been a long time since I had taken a proper run, and tonight, something was in the air calling me to transform into my wolf and run free through the woods, tasting freedom.

Freedom from what?

Well... I had been feeling pretty odd lately. It was hard to describe, but it unsettled me at night. So much so that I wasn't able to fall asleep. I'd often spend my time in the training room, training until all my muscles hurt, and I'd pass out of exhaustion. Still, it wouldn't go away.

That unsettled feeling would be the same thing to make my mind wander in the day when I needed to focus on my work. It felt like a part of me was slowly fading away into darkness. It felt like I was losing touch with a piece of me, and it deeply scared me.

Why was this happening to me?

Was this some sickness of the wolf? I wondered about it as I stood there, enjoying the night breeze. The run to our pack from Jeremy's house would be far away, but I wanted to let it out. Maybe this would finally calm me down, and I could think straight again.

I decided to go for a run. I informed one of my men and went to Jeremy's backyard, where the woods could be easily accessed. I carefully stripped and changed into my wolf before taking my clothes into my mouth and running.

I ran through the dark woods, letting the chilly night hair brush through my furs. It felt so fucking amazing, and for once, it made me feel free of all the worries in life, but despite all that, the unsettled feeling remained. It just wouldn't go away.

Instead of letting it ruin my run, I enjoyed the night and the woods. I kept running without taking a break. My wolf was fully energised because it hadn't been out for a while, so he was pleased to be out, and despite running for miles, he didn't seem to have gotten the least bit tired.

I entered the pack territories just in time and stopped only when I was at the doorstep of the house I shared with my brother. I transformed into myself and walked in with my clothes in my hand, stark naked. It didn't matter. Nudeness wasn't an issue in our pack. Everyone had seen everyone's packages.

I found Mateo in the living room with his laptop when I entered the building. He looked up as soon as he sensed me.

"You went on a run?" He asked, a hint of annoyance in his voice. I guess I was late.

"I ran here, yes," I nodded, running my hands through my hair, that unsettling feeling creeping back into me, but this time it was even more intense. The harder I tried to push it back every time, the worse it seemed to get.

Mat seemed to have read my expression because he asked, "What is it?"

"Nothing," I dismissed and went upstairs to shower quickly. When I returned downstairs, the dinner was served, and Mat was waiting for me at the dining table under the grand chandelier. I grunted at the dinner choices but decided just to shut up and eat.

"You know I'm supposed to be the grumpy one," Mat commented. I frowned.

"I'm just tired," I said, filling my plate with ribs. Silence fell between us as we continued to eat. I felt Mat's eyes on me, waiting. He had noticed it, and there was no hiding anything from him. He was a keen observer. Sometimes too keen for my liking.

"I..." I started, trying to collect the right words to describe that unsettling feeling properly because I knew Mat wouldn't give up until I told him what was bothering me. "I've been feeling restless for quite a while. My wolf is acting strange. It's like he has gotten a mind of his own all of a sudden and doesn't want to listen to me at all,"

As soon as I said that, Mat's eyes widened.

"You've been feeling that too?"

~

please comment and let me know how you're liking the story so far.

follow me and add this book to your library for regular updates.

Update schedule - Mon, Wed and Fri

read the next 10+ chapters on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

thanks for reading <3