47.

MATEO

"Are you sorry for killing Jovani?" Myra asked me sharply, her eyes filled with rage and loath— the two things I couldn't bear looking at anymore. It broke a part of me every time, hurt my wolf and deepened the wound in my chest.

"I'm sorry for killing your father, Myra," I stated out loud and clear so that everything was out in the clear. I wanted this to be as straightforward as possible. It was all I had been preparing for the whole day, but I still felt anxious. The storm of emotions raging in Myra's eyes made me feel like I was walking a tightrope.

"Are you sorry just because he was my father?" She asked, an assertive look in her eyes. I could say a bunch of stuff to her to beat around the bush, but I chose to speak the truth instead.

"Yes," I answered honestly, "I'm sorry that Jovani turned out to be your father. But I'm not sorry for killing my parents' murderer,"

Something strong and dangerous raged in her eyes. Her jaw was set as she tacked me with her eyes, her body tight with tension.

"He was all I had," she gritted, her voice heavy with dark emotions. "He took me out of the system, and right when I was starting to have a normal life, I was put back into it,"

"I'm sorry for th—"

"JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP!" She roared, slamming her arms on the table and standing up. I twitched, not because of the way she snapped but primarily due to concern for her hands. She slammed them way too hard. I was hoping they didn't hurt.

"Do you know how it feels like to hate a place and wish to never go back but then one day, someone pulls you out of that place only for you to end up back there again?" She asked, an angry tear running down her cheek. My hands itched to touch her, to soothe her, to do everything to calm her down, but I couldn't move.

I could feel Hunter's emotions, too. He wanted to get closer to her and hold her, but not yet. I needed to hear what she wanted to say without reacting. Whatever the case was, I accepted that she had it worse than me. Even after our parents were gone, we brothers still had some form of support system in place to deal with our grief, but she didn't have that.

I wanted to say everything to her but couldn't find the words to speak. A lump was building in my throat, constraining my speech. But even if I could talk, I wasn't sure if my words would have made any difference. So, I chose to listen as she went on.

"I woke up one day and found myself back in the orphanage I hated the most. It felt like I had been dreaming all the time I spent at Jovani's house, calling him father. At first, I thought he abandoned me like every other person did. It hurt a lot because I liked him. I had been with him for years, and he never treated me like I was a pest. For him to be gone so abruptly shattered me deep down. I started thinking that something was wrong with me, but then months later, they found him dead. They didn't let me see him for a last time because his body was severely mangled. I couldn't have been more devastated,"

I listened wordlessly, feeling that guilt seep deep into my heart like poison. A part of me wanted to burst out of the glass door and disappear into the snowy night, but I couldn't escape this. I needed to face the reality. I needed to face her wrath. Only then could I sort this situation out.

"I cannot bring back Jovani, but if there's a way, I could ease you—"

"Then leave me alone," She snapped. "The only reason why I ever tolerate you is because of this stupid mate bond. In reality, I don't want to do anything with you two. It feels like a curse being mated to you two,"

"Then you have to live with the curse," Hunter spoke up this time. He had been quiet all along, but the darkness in his voice told me that he was done sitting silent and watching it unfold. "If it feels like a curse, then you are cursed. There's no way I'm letting you leave us. You're not the only one who fucking suffered in this, Myra. We lost our parents, too!"

"Hunter," I spoke, calling him to stop. I didn't want to make this a screaming match. Myra glanced between the two of us with a hurt look on her face as if it were her against us. Before I could say anything more, she turned around and left.

Hunter growled, but I reached out and dug my fingers into his shoulder to stop him before he could go after her.

"We need to take our time with her," I told her.

"Doesn't it bother you, brother?" He asked me, quivering with anger. I rarely saw him in such rage, and it never ended in anything good.

"It does, but we need to be patient. She's still healing. She'll come to understand," I assured him.

"How are you so sure?" He shot back, "She was asking to be left alone. What if she leaves us?" He asked, and for a moment, I didn't have an answer to those questions.

What if Myra chose to leave us? I'd be devastated, for sure. I'd be ruined, and most likely, I'd lose my wolf and sanity. I couldn't let that happen.

"I'll not allow her to leave us," I told him firmly. "She'll stay with us no matter what our past is. I want to focus on the future,"

"What if she doesn't want to?" He asked, and his question was valid, but I wasn't ready to face those questions yet. I didn't want to force Myra into anything, but at the same time, I was too selfish to let her go.

"She needs time," I assured, getting up to leave. I hadn't touched anything on the table at all. I didn't have any appetite. "Go train for the night. It'll help you take your mind off," I told Hunter before returning to the office to watch her.

~

What do you think so far? Let me know

Read the next 30+ chapters and daily updates on Patreon. The link is in my bio. Thanks for reading <3