62.

MYRA

"I hate you!" I roared, and right then, Hunter walked into the hotel room. He froze as soon as he saw us, his eyes widening like a deer caught in the headlights.

"Don't you fucking leave!" I threatened before he could even think about taking a step back. He looked between us before his jaw tightened, and he stepped inside, letting the door close behind him quietly.

"What's going on, Myra?" He asked, looking grim all of a sudden.

"You tell me what's going on!" I growled, edging towards a meltdown. To say I was frustrated would've been an understatement. I wanted to rip my hair out. It had been going alright one moment, and then Mateo had to ask me that stupid question, and I couldn't answer it even though I knew what I wanted. "What are we doing here in the middle of nowhere?" I demanded.

A hint of puzzlement flashed in his eyes, and he looked past me, most likely exchanging a look with Mateo. A look of understanding soon replaced the bewilderment— another thing I hated was how the brothers could communicate just by looking at each other. It made me feel more excluded as if I wasn't even supposed to be there.

I blinked angry tears, glaring at Hunter.

"Myra," He stated, edging closer to bed but not before looking past me at Mateo. I was ready to leap at him and rip his face off if he did that again. "Calm down. What happened between you two?"

"Nothi—" Before Mateo could finish, I spoke over him, "I asked for his knot, and he asked me a stupid question!" I roared. I'd have laughed at my own words at another time, but I couldn't find the humour at that moment. My blood was burning with rage, and every breath filled me with frustration. I was about to burst if I didn't get what I wanted, and there was only one thing I wanted...no, I needed it like air— their knots!

Hunter opened his mouth to speak but closed it quickly, looking deeply baffled and awkward.

"What did you ask her?" He asked Mateo, his lips tight as if he was trying not to laugh. I gave him a threatening growl.

"I asked her if she wanted me or if it was her wolf," Mateo answered behind me, sounding calm and patient, but his voice had an unmistakable edge. "I asked her if she's okay fucking someone who killed her father,"

His words were followed by a tension so thick I could feel the air in the room turning solid. Hunter gave his brother a lingering look.

"We don't want you to do something you'd hate later, Myra," Hunter told me grimly this time. "I know the mate bond is getting stronger day by day, and it's demanding us to fulfil our mating, but that shouldn't take precedence over important issues that need to be resolved first,"

"What's there to be resolved?" I asked, "Do you think the dead people will come back?" Then, something dawned upon me.

What if they didn't want me because I was Jovani's daughter? The realisation almost shattered my heart, and that bitter voice laughed at me for even thinking that the brothers would accept me after knowing the truth.

Fuck, I should've thought this through. This was unlike me to be so emotional with my thinking. In the past, I had always been rational and kept my emotions at bay, but ever since I met the brothers, my feelings had been all over the place, rusting away my rationality.

"The dead people aren't going to come back, Myra," Hunter spoke, his voice solemn, and his eyes looked slightly unfocused as if he was playing a memory in his head. I knew he was thinking of his dead parents, especially his mother. The loss had affected him the most. "But we don't want the dead to dictate our future," He stated firmly.

"Then tell me, does it matter to you that I'm Jovani's daughter?" I demand.

"No," The brothers answered together. "We've said this before, and I'll say it again. You're not to blame for what Jovani did. You didn't know anything. You were a child who got caught up in pack politics," Hunter added.

"Does it matter that my brother killed Jovani?" He asked next, his eyes heatedly trained on me. Behind me, I could feel Mateo's scorching eyes burning on my back. This was my time to come clean. I had fucked it up previously, but now, I can let it all out. I had to let it all out, or else it felt like I was churning poison inside me.

I took a deep breath, turned, and sat against the bed's headboard. I wasn't facing any of them. I needed to get this out as simply and without any confusion. A lot depended on the words I was going to speak next.

"For a long time, I wanted a closure. I kept looking and got none until I found out what had eventually happened to him. However, I hadn't learnt the full truth then. I wanted to avenge his death, and that had been my motivation for everything I did against you two for all those years. All I wanted was to bring you two down anyhow. That was all that mattered to me for a long time until it became the ultimate goal of life. Then I found out you two are my mates. That was shocking. I couldn't take it, especially because I had asked the moon goddess for someone particular—"

"—you what—" Hunter interrupted, but I kept on going because I needed to get it off my chest all at once, or it felt like I'd ultimately lose the opportunity and mess it all up.

"—I promised her I'd accept whoever she chose for me. I hadn't anticipated something like this. I went back on my word, and she punished me that day by delaying the explosion so that I got caught in it and lost an arm—which will always be a reminder to me of going back on my words. It also forced me to depend on you two in a way I had never depended on anyone. I had never been cared for or looked after, and this was... jarring at first, but it made me even more aware of the things I had never had. I had craved something like this for so long, and finally, I was getting it. But it scared me because I knew it'd all disappear once you two learned who I was.

Then I learned the truth, and suddenly, it felt like my life was upside down and everything that I had known and believed was all false. I had one purpose in life, and it vanished. I didn't know what to do with myself. It felt like my life had ended, and everything I had done so far had been useless. It's an unnerving feeling. I don't know what to do with myself anymore. I've been abandoned by people I loved and trusted in the past, and I've lost everything that ever mattered to me— my father, my life, my arm, years of my work..." I trailed off as soon as I remembered the empty basement, the nothingness about that place that scared me. "I've lost everything!" I wailed. "I don't want to lose anymore!" I was in tears. "I don't want to lose you two. I want my mates," I pleaded.

~~

Threesome incoming in the next chapter!!

But are you restless and want to read it all now? Then head over to Patreon to ready 30+ chapters, almost daily updates, an alternative version of this story, my new story — A Pet for the Dragons (sequel to this book) and many more! I'm cooking up a storm there! The link is in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3