Chapter 13

"This is a mess!" Meredith whispered to her friend, serving everyone their drinks. Izzie had gathered everyone after dinner and shoved them into the living room, trying to keep Alex, Anthony, and Enzo away from the knives, sharp ones that could end up in George's neck.

"I know!" Eleanora screamed. She was face down on the counter, her hand holding the Tequila bottle like it was her savior. She hadn't drunk it yet, but as soon as her parents left, she would lock herself in the attic and drink like a fool.

"I knew they'd question if I had a boyfriend, that's what my family does. But... but George!? And Enzo and dad are threatening him and my mom isn't helping!"

Meredith snorted, turning to the girl. "It looks like Alex is going to kill George with his own hands. Aren't you two technically in a non-relationship?"

Eleanora shot up with wide eyes. "Yeah! Thanks for noticing! He throws a big fit about 'I don't want to be in a relationship' and 'I'm not your boyfriend', but he goes and acts like one! It's confusing and it's making my brain hurt!"

Eleanora rested her head on Meredith's shoulder, the taller girl just awkwardly patting her back. "Fix it, Mer. Please, for all that is holy, fix it."

Meredith sighed, looking through her eyelashes at the ceiling. "Okay, I'll fix it."

Eleanora let out a squeal, hugging her friend even tighter. "Thank you!"

"With 'fix it', I didn't mean kick them out!"

Eleanora had just said goodbye to her family a small disappointed after Meredith stated that all the interns needed to sleep if they wanted to be able to work tomorrow.

"Well, it worked, didn't it?" Meredith asked, taking the drink from her. "Now, I can get Izzie to handle George's small meltdown and you can calm Alex down."

Eleanora let her eyes drift to George, who was curled up in the corner, staring straight ahead with wide, traumatized eyes. Izzie was crouched next to him, whispering and patting his back soothingly.

"Yes, calm Alex down, Eleanora." His sarcastic voice made Eleanora look behind her. Alex was there, arms crossed over his chest and all angry.

Eleanora let out a small sigh, turned and walked towards him. "Alex, I couldn't help what my parents thought. I told them that George and I weren't dating. What else did you want me to do?"

Alex scoffed, turning on his heel and walking up the steps. Eleanora quickly followed his lead, her voice worried. "Alex? Alex Karev, you have to talk to me!"

However, the man did not speak until they reached his room. He stumbled inside and Alex reached behind her to close the door. Even he didn't want his friends to hear this argument, since the last time they fought everyone looked at him.

"You should have said something about me!" He screamed. Eleanora took a small step back, raising her eyebrows.

"What? You said you didn't want them to know-"

"God, Eleanora, I was stupid! Of course, I wanted your family to know we're together." He took off his jacket and tossed it onto the reading chair in the corner. He began to pace while Eleanora sat on the bed.

Something else was bothering him, she was sure of that. He came in all grumpy and the frown had never left his face throughout dinner.

"Alex?" She questioned, but he simply ignored her. He continued pacing, his words quick and harsh.

"I know I said I didn't want a relationship, okay? I know what the hell I said. And you fought for me, so why didn't you tonight?"

"Alex, I-"

"And O'Malley?! Your parents know you better than anyone in the world, you said it before. So, if they thought that you and O'Malley have something, then it has to be a small bit true! And that "The idea of you two makes me feel like something is scratching me furiously from the inside of my chest and up my throat."

Eleanora looked at him, her eyes softening. A hint of a smile played on her lips as she placed her hands in her lap. "Are you jealous of George?"

Alex rolled his eyes and stopped walking with a dramatic huff and stomp. "Yeah, I'm jealous of O'Malley! Which is stupid, because a guy like me should never be jealous of a guy like George O'Malley, okay? But you're so close to him and you two are so close." and sometimes he just looks at you with that... that stupid Bambi look in his eyes and it's shit!"

"It sucks because you... you're my girl! And I should be the only one who looks at you like that, and I do! I'm sure if you asked anyone, they'd say I look at you like you're the sun and the moon! Because I look at you, Ella, and I see this beautiful, intelligent and surprising woman who makes my world go round."

Eleanora felt tears of happiness in her eyes, and she stood up, taking a step towards him. "Yeah?"

He let out a deep sigh, nodding his head at her. "Yes, and..."

"So, what, Alex?" She questioned softly, placing her hands on his chest.

He moved his hands to hold hers, his voice harsh but not cruel. "Do you want to know why I don't want to have a relationship with you?"

Eleanora felt coldness seep into her bones, trying to take a step back. However, Alex didn't let her. He moved a hand to her back and pulled her close, leaning down to rest his forehead on hers.

"Because you're good." He continued to look into her eyes. "Too sweet and innocent and I'll end up ruining you forever and breaking your heart when I'm not what you need. But after tonight, and seeing your family sitting there and thinking that you and Bambi were together while I was sitting next to you?" I realized that even if I think I will fail this, I want to give it my all and try."

She felt her breath catch and she stared at him. "What are you saying?"

"I'm saying," he tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear, "that I want to be your boyfriend."

Standing outside the door of her parents' hotel room seemed like the scariest thing she had ever done in her life. And Eleanora had gone through medical school at Columbia University when she was a small, shy, soft-spoken child mixed in with a class of some of the best, most ruthless, aggressive medical students of all time.

She took a shaky breath, knocking three times before letting her hand return to her side. It took a moment, but her mother opened the door. Her face turned worried, calling her father behind her.

Anthony looked at his small girl, frowning. "Eleanora? What is it? Why are you here so late?"

Eleanora took a shaky breath, straightening her back. "George O'Malley and I are NOT dating. We are friends, roommates, and colleagues. That means we spend almost every waking moment together. That's why we're so close, not because we're dating or love each other or whatever you said."

Heidi raised an eyebrow. "Piccolina, did you come all this way just to tell us that?"

Eleanora felt a smile on her lips and shook her head. "No, not just that." She turned her head and offered Alex her hand.

Her parents watched as the man from dinner came around the corner and took her hand. He stopped next to her and squeezed her hand as he pulled her to his side protectively. She looked at her parents with determined eyes.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Amedeo. I would like to formally introduce myself. I am Dr. Alex Karev."

Eleanora looked at him with bright eyes. Alex looked at her, a smile on her lips.

He looked back at the two, his voice sure and confident. "I'm Eleanora's boyfriend."