Chapter 7

S7 EP11

Mark holds Eleanora close to him, she whimpers as some tears fall. Lexie was standing next to her, Max holding her hand tightly and​ against his chest. Its tense in the crowded waiting room, television in the corner plays the news.

'Large scale shooting in the Seattle area. We have reports that a gunman opened fire on students and teachers. Again, that's at Pacific College. Now you will see our reporter live from the scene.'

Eleanora wipes under her eyes as everyone listens to the reporter comment on how many people are injured. Mark held her a little tighter to his chest with each word, closing his eyes after a moment as he began to feel the same sinking, end-of-the-world feeling he felt when he found out Eleanora was shot.

Eleanora finally looked around, her eyes landing on Lexie. She's holding Max's hand, but she also needs her best friend. She settled to the spot where she had one of her free arms and leaned over to offer it to the woman. Lexie takes it, trying to keep crying as quietly as possible.

The best friends join their hands and look at the screen again. Except this time, they have some sense of comfort.

_______

"There are 15 ambulances on the way, maybe more to come. The first one is three minutes away." Hunt says, everyone waiting outside the emergency room doors in their trauma gowns and gloves.

Eleanora and Mark's sides are pressed against each other, knowing better than to hold hands with gloves on. Lexie is still whimpering next to her and every now and then Eleanora bumps their arms together. Aside from the sobbing and the sounds of suits ruffling, the ambulance bay is eerily quiet.

"People..." the Chief begins, moving so he can address everyone. "People, our own trauma is recent, and we're going to have feelings today and there's no shame in that. What I mean is, what we went through six months ago, they're going through right now, which makes them our brothers and sisters... which makes them partners in the same pain, which makes them ours. So, first and foremost, we will do our work first. And then we will have our feelings."

Lexie lets out a small, shaky noise, which catches the attention of Hunt, Mark, and Eleanora. The red-haired Attending frowns and turns to the resident.

"Lexie?"

"I'm fine." Lexie states, letting out one last huff as she tries to compose herself. "I'm fine."

"Go to the ER, make sure we're stocked. Call the blood bank-" Mark leans over his wife a little and talks to the girl.

"I'm fine." Lexie remains, and this time it is Eleanora who speaks. Her voice is soft and concerned, giving her friend a small reassuring smile.

"Lex, go to the blood bank. Tell them we need all the O Negative they have, okay? We'll meet you there."

Lexie finally nods, letting out another huff as she moves to head to the ER and the blood bank. Eleanora looks forward again, breathing heavily. Mark looks at her, slamming their shoulders together.

"Do you need to go too?"

"No." Eleanora stated firmly, without looking at him. She knew that if she looked at him and showed him her eyes, he would know she wasn't okay. "I'm fine where I am."

Mark looked at her for a minute, frowning. He didn't believe her, but he stayed quiet, focusing forward again when the first ambulances appeared.

"Amedeo, Meredith, you're with me!" Derek shouted, Eleanora jogging to meet the man and her friend.

"What do you have?" Derek asked the EMT, she quickly responded as she opened the doors.

"Professor John Sturgeon, 48, fell from a fourth-floor window, has an open skull fracture and a broken pupil." Eleanora and Meredith help them lower the stretcher; she takes the board as they begin to carry him towards the emergency room.