Chapter 13

Eleanora hummed to herself as she flipped through a chart, leaning most of her body weight on the nurses' station. A throat cleared behind her, and she looked up, her face lighting up when she saw George.

The two hadn't spoken much in days and it broke her. After George confessed his feelings for her and she spent time with her roommates, she made sure Mark sneaked in once everyone was asleep and cried about it. Sure, she realistically knew that Mark might want to kill George, but they were in a serious relationship, which meant he deserved to know what George had told her and he was the one she turned to when she had a fight with a best friend of hers.

Mark had barely passed Eleanora's bedroom door when she threw herself into his arms. He could feel her body shaking with sobs and he went into worried protective mode.

"Nora, doll, what's wrong?" His voice was worried, wrapping his girlfriend in a tight hug. "Why are you crying?"

Eleanora clutched at Mark's shirt, her voice shaking and coming out in short gasps. "George...he...I...I can't lose George, Mark!"

Mark shushed her, cradling her head against his chest as he rocked them both back and forth slightly to try to calm her. "Why you gonna lose O'Malley, baby?"

Eleanora hesitated for a moment, but continued speaking, her grip on his shirt tightening as the words left her mouth.

"H-he said he was in love with me."

Needless to say, Mark was not thrilled with the information he was given.

George cleared his throat and then offers her a piece of paper. Eleanora frowned but took it and read it.

A gasp leaves her lips and a smile forms, her excited eyes looking up at him. "You passed?"

George smiles softly and nods, his voice shaking a little. "I passed. I'm not an intern anymore."

Eleanora puts down the letter and rushes towards George, wrapping him in a tight hug. "Georgie, oh my god, congratulations!"

George was stiff for a minute, but he slowly put his arms around her and hugged her back. "I couldn't have done it without your cards."

Eleanora pulled back slightly to look at him, her smile slowly fading as she realized how close they were. She didn't care, of course, because it didn't really mean anything. George had wanted some space, and she just went and ruined it with a hug.

"I-I'm sorry, George. I didn't-"

"Alright." he interrupted, shaking his head. "I was actually coming to see you to see if you wanted to go out for some drinks?" At Eleanora's slightly flustered face, George continued quickly. "Everyone, I mean! To celebrate me becoming a resident. It will be everyone."

Eleanora smiled, nodding her head. Her voice was soft as she spoke, turning to the chart in front of her. "I just have to finish here and then I can, yeah. I'll see you at Joe's in 15?"

"Joe's, 15 minutes. Got it."

Everything was quiet, and George quickly hugged her again. "I missed you, Ella."

Eleanora smiled, blinking back some tears that had built up. "I missed you too, Georgie."

Everything was fine again. George O'Malley and Eleanora Amedeo were back together, best friends until the end of the road. If only they knew how short that path is. Maybe then they would have hugged each other longer.

A WEEK LATER

Eleanora rounds the corner of the hallway with Cristina and Meredith, smiling as she looks at the doll Meredith brought to work. An original Anatomical Jane, which made Eleanora a little jealous. When she began to show interest in medicine and surgery, she was too old to ask for dolls for Christmas.