Chapter 29

TWO MONTHS UNTIL THE INTERN EXAM

Eleanora was eating her first spoonful of cereal when Meredith and Derek walked into the kitchen, laughing about something.

She raised an eyebrow, as if wondering what was so funny. Meredith sat on the bar stool, looking at her. "Izzie just found out that Alex lives here."

Eleanora's face fell at the mention of the woman. "If I don't have a problem with it, there shouldn't be a reason for Izzie to have one."

Derek raised an eyebrow at her, grabbing two bowls to pour cereal for himself and Meredith. "Yeah, why exactly don't you have a problem with that? I mean, you two broke up. And of course, you haven't told me why-"

Eleanora laughed, shaking her head at his attempt to get her to talk. She hadn't actually told anyone other than George why they broke up, not wanting there to be drama so close to her intern exam.

"And I won't tell you, Dr. Shepherd." She interrupted. Derek made an annoyed noise, handing Meredith her bowl.

"It really hurts me, Eleanora. I thought you and I were close, being on my service so often."

Meredith rolled her eyes, nudging her boyfriend in the side. "Stop bothering her, Derek. She'll tell us when she's ready." She leaned towards him and in a horrible loud whisper. "Or Cristina and I will beat it out of her."

The three of them shared laughter, but it faded when Alex entered the kitchen. Eleanora quickly tore her eyes away from him, finishing her cereal quickly.

Alex cleared his throat, not looking at her either. Discomfort hung in the air and Eleanora tried to suppress the pain of feeling it.

Yes, she had given Meredith the 'go-ahead' for Alex to live here, even if her friend seemed wary. She knew that the area Alex lived in wasn't very good, and he had practically been living here anyway, before...

Eleanora cleared her throat and grabbed her bag that was on the island. She gave them a tight smile, saying goodbye with a little wave.

"I'm going out. See you at work?"

"See you, Ella!" Meredith called after her, watching as her small friend left the room. She glanced slightly at Alex, who scoffed at her.

He walked to the refrigerator and searched for food in it, his voice hoarse. "Do not look at me like that."

Meredith stood up and walked over to him, punching him in the chest. "I don't know what you did, but she's not the same. Fix it, Alex."

"How do you know it's something I did?" He replied, raising an eyebrow. This time it was Derek who responded, giving a little snort.

"Please," Derek stood up and grabbed his coat that was draped over the back of his stool. "Eleanora Amedeo would never do anything to hurt the person she loves. She would die before doing that.

Stopping on the step just below George, Eleanora tried to crane her neck to see who the Chief was talking to. It was no secret that the Chief was looking for his replacement and he did not find any of the current Attendings as his favorite.

"See Bailey?" Izzie asked, walking past the group. She stepped back, looking at them all with curious eyes. "What are we doing?"

George glared at her, but felt Eleanora elbow him in the side. He let out a groan, but hid it in his words. "Uh, checking out the new Chief candidate."

Meredith nodded, not looking at the blonde. "The Chief is with the candidate. We are waiting, in a way that was subtle when there were two of us, but it's not subtle now that there are twelve of us."