Chapter 23

"I like this one." Mark spoke, pointing to the cat at the pound. They were at a nearby rescue, looking for their 'perfect match.'

Eleanora smiled, leaning down to press her fingers against the bars of the kennel and let the cat sniff them. "Hello, pretty baby!" She cooed, watching as the cat began to rub against her fingers. She was a small pure black cat who must have only been a year or so, and the little name tag on her kennel said "Josie."

Mark smiled as Eleanora petted Josie, crouching down next to her. He offered the cat his own fingers, Josie's purr becoming louder as she began to rub against him.

"I think she likes you too." Eleanora joked, leaning a little on her boyfriend.

"Of course, she does. All the women are captivated by my charm." he joked, Eleanora rolling her eyes. She placed a kiss on his lips, a smile on his. She looked back at Josie and nodded.

"She is perfect."

Moving a little to the side as Derek sat down next to her, Eleanora gave her friend a smile before turning her attention back to the Chief. They were standing in front of the OR board, Mark standing next to Webber with some papers in his hands. The Chief was explaining the new computer model that would schedule surgeries, and most of the doctors were a little grumpy.

"And to make sure this was the right decision; I've hired one of our own to do a trial run for the last month. Dr. Sloan." The Chief nods at Mark, giving the floor to Eleanora's boyfriend.

Eleanora laughs at his face, all serious and salesman-like, but tries to cover it with a cough, trying to put on a neutral face. Derek crosses his arms, raising an unimpressed eyebrow as everyone listens to Mark.

"I know what you're all thinking. It's a machine, it doesn't know me, it doesn't know what I like. But after using this new system for the past month, I have to say, people, I'm sold on it." Mark tells them, Eleanora shakes her head.

Derek steps forward, the look on his face causing another laugh to pass Eleanora's lips. Bailey hits the back of her head, Eleanora calms down but doesn't let the bright smile on her face disappear.

"You're awful." Bailey tells him, shaking her head. "You can't even pretend to stay calm when your boyfriend is giving a speech. Pathetic." However, the small smile on Bailey's face goes against her serious tone.

"This computer," Mark continues, nodding his head. "Now knows me better than I do."

"Chief, this has rearranged my schedule all week." Derek points out, his tone a little whiny. Eleanora shakes her head again, but Bailey is the only one who lets out a small snort. Derek turns to look at everyone else, raising his voice a little so everyone can hear. "I mean, haven't we had enough changes here already?"

Murmurs erupt in agreement, but the Chief is quick to shut it down. "Change is good for everyone. Accept it." Webber then leaves, the group disperses a bit.

Mark and Derek approach to join Bailey and Eleanora, Cristina accompanying seeing that she was on Derek's service. Mark sits behind his girlfriend, leans on the desk and puts down the papers. Eleanora is quick to take them, reviewing the reports with an interested look on her face.

"You two should stop arguing," Bailey told Derek, gesturing between him and the Chief before starting to walk away, "it's not attractive."

"Good speech?" Mark asks Eleanora, resting his chin on her shoulder. "Did my charisma shine?"

"Yes, you were very charismatic." She assured him, turning to another page. "But you don't know how to write reports properly. Jesus, Mark, did you pass your Gen Eds in English?"