Chapter 9

S7 EP13

"So "I'll tell Max first, obviously." Eleanora said to Mark, who was making breakfast. "You'll tell Derek first, but I have to tell Meredith before he knows, otherwise she'll get mad. If I tell Mer, I have to tell Cristina too because then she'll be a little upset I told Meredith before her. And if I tell Max, I have to tell Lexie, but I can't tell Lexie before anyone else because she'll accidentally tell everyone. But I can't tell Max without telling Lexie because they're dating and-"

"Doll." Mark interrupted, turning to look at her. Eleanora stayed silent, interrupting her ramblings with a panicked look in her eyes. "How about you tell Max today, and then we can tell everyone else together? Plus, I have to tell Torres. She'll want to go shopping for baby things as soon as she finds out."

Eleanora took a deep breath, calming herself with his words. Mark hands her the plate of eggs and fruit, and she gives him a grateful smile. "Okay, okay. I'll tell Max and then we'll tell everyone else."

Mark took his own plate and walked around the island, sitting next to her. He pressed a kiss to her lips, his eyes shining as he placed a hand on her stomach.

"Hello, little baby. Daddy's here." Mark spoke softly into her stomach, his voice as amazed as when he first found out.

Eleanora smiled, her own eyes shining as she watched Mark talk to their baby. However, his words made her mind wander and she let out a gasp. Mark's head snapped up, eyes worried and tone frantic.

"What? What, is something wrong? Are you in pain?"

"My dad!" Eleanora exclaimed, moving to place her head in her hands. "I have to tell my parents before I tell anyone else!"

Mark relaxed at those words, closing his eyes as he let out a deep sigh of relief. "You can't just scream like something is really wrong now, Nora. You're going to give me a heart attack."

"My dad is going to kill you." She spoke slowly, finally looking at her husband. "He always said I should wait until I finished my residency before having kids, he said my career should come first and family second. He'll actually skin you alive, and then I'll be a single mom."

It took him a moment to absorb the words. When he did, Mark's face paled a little and his eyebrows arched, eyes wide. He cleared his throat, but his voice was still a little shaky.

_______

Max Amedeo lay in his bed, staring at the ceiling with his face pale and his eyes wide open. Callie was next to him, her own hands resting on her stomach. She had stopped by his house before work, needing to talk to him about some important news.

"You have to say something. Words, make words, Max." Callie sighed, moving her head to look at the young man a bit. Max didn't take his eyes off the ceiling, his voice a little high-pitched.

"Oh my God?"

"Yeah."

"A-a baby?" Max asked, his eyes widening as the words finally sank in. "We, a baby? We... are having a baby?"

"Growing like a weed in my womb." Callie confirmed. Max sat up a little at that, turning to look at his friend. Then, his eyes traveled to her stomach, his voice a little less strained.

"It's not a weed. A miracolo." Max corrected her, his hand hovering towards her stomach. Callie frowned and looked at him.

"I don't speak Italian fluently, but I'm pretty sure you called it a miracle." Callie then sat up, laughing a little in shock. "Max, you don't have to do this. You can be fun Uncle Max."

"No." Max stated firmly. "I want to do this, Callie. It's... I mean, it's a baby. A tiny, tiny human being that we made together. It didn't happen the way I wanted it to, and I'm sure it didn't happen the way you wanted it to, but it still happened. We're going to be parents, Cal."