Chapter 18

Derek and Eleanora are standing outside in the ambulance bay, wearing their Seattle Grace jackets with the Chief walking behind them. They had been standing there, waiting for this ambulance, for what seemed like an eternity, when in reality it was only 45 minutes.

"I didn't know Dr. Montgomery had a brother." Eleanora spoke softly, trying to ease the tension from Derek's shoulders. Derek turned his upper body to look at her, nodding. However, his face was blank, the only sign of an expression was his furrowed eyebrows.

"Yes, Archer. Good guy." The awkward silence returned, but it didn't last long. The ambulance turned the corner, making the three doctors stand at attention. Eleanora felt worry building in her throat, but she pushed it aside.

She liked Dr. Montgomery; she liked her a lot. Eleanora would even go as far as to say that they were somewhat friends before leaving. But she still likes the woman, even idolizes her a little. Addison Montgomery was the definition of a powerful, successful, intelligent and brilliant surgeon. Any woman who entered the field knew who she was and knew that at level of success she is considered one of the best.

But when the ambulance doors opened, the Addison Montgomery that Eleanora had met before was nowhere to be found. Instead, there was a tear-stained face of a terrified woman, clutching the hand of her unconscious brother on a stretcher.

The Chief went straight to Addison, gave her a hug and tried to assure her that everything would be okay. There was another woman with her, one that Derek obviously knew if their shared embrace was anything to go by.

Eleanora gave Addison a quick, soothing smile before darting toward the EMT, grabbing the chart. She knew Derek and the Chief would want a moment with Addison, but during that time Eleanora refused to let this patient be stuck out in the cold.

The Chief stood on the other side of the gurney after his moment with Addison, nodding to Eleanora. "The bed in the ICU-"

"Is booked and ready, Chief. I have the best floor nurses in the room, and I already have the CT scan and lab waiting." Eleanora spoke, handing him the almost empty chart.

The Chief nodded, letting out a sigh of relief when they reached the inside of the hospital. "Thank you, Amedeo."

Eleanora gave him a smile, looking at Addison's brother. "I'm just doing my job, Chief."

"How did he get the parasite?" The Chief asked Addison and the woman next to her. Derek is doing a neurological exam and Eleanora is helping the Chief perform a full body exam, looking up briefly as the woman speaks.

"He believes he contracted it from eating unwashed fruit in Mexico."

Eleanora looked at the machines as they began to beep. "He's bradycardic, Dr. Shepherd." Eleanora says, moving out of the way so Derek can approach the patient.

"Why is he bradycardic and hypotensive?" The Chief asked, looking at Shepherd. Derek remained calm, watching the monitors.

"He is having a reaction to the fentanyl drip. Stop the drip and inject the Narcan." Derek ordered, Eleanora moving to help the nurse do it faster.

"Wait! Derek, he's unstable. I mean, if you take him off the drip and he seizes, there could be permanent brain damage." Addison told him, her tone incredulous, as if that was something he should know.

Derek nodded, being as patient as possible with Addison. "We better hope that doesn't happen."

"Hope?" Addison exclaims with wide eyes. "Is that what your plan is based on? In hope that the worst doesn't happen?"