Chapter 16

"Today's the day, right?" Max asked, walking closely with his sister. Eleanora looked up from the article she was reading and raised an eyebrow.

"What's today?"

Max took a sip of his coffee, before readjusting the glasses placed on his nose. "The solo surgery is awarded today, right? Or will it be next week?"

Eleanora looked confused and stopped in front of the residents' lounge. She had just returned from checking on one of Derek's patients, already in her scrubs.

"How do you know about Solo Surgery Day? You're in a completely different department." She asked, giving a smile to some of the residents entering the room.

Max scoffed, dramatically placing his hand over his heart. "I'm hurt, Ella. Don't you think I informed myself of everything that happens in the Surgical Ward just because of my older sister? Don't you do the same for me?"

Eleanora laughed and entered the room. Max follows her, giving a smile to some of the female residents he passes by. When she doesn't respond, he lets out a small, offended gasp.

"Are you serious? I can't believe it, Ella!"

"If I had known, I would have done it, Max!" She took the coffee from him and took a quick sip before sitting between George and Meredith. Max made an aggravated noise, but there was a smile on his face as he sat on the bench behind his sister.

"Are they back yet?" She asked George, turning to another page of the article. He shook his head, looking up from the chart he was filling out.

"Not yet."

All the residents there remain busy, some whispering to each other and others working. Eleanora leans back a little in her chair, Max leans forward to whisper to her.

"Stai già uscendo con George? Perché ora sei single e il moda in cui ti calla-" (Are you dating George? Because you're single now and the way he looked at you-) Eleanora turned around in her chair to knock her brother with her article, drawing the attention of her friends to her.

E smettila di parlare in Italiano per cercare di non attirare l'attenzione perché attira ancora di più l'attenzione!" (No, I'm not dating George, nor am I single! And stop talking in Italian to try not to attract attention because it only attracts more attention!)

Max let out a small gasp, his eyes widening. "Non sei single? Enzo è un tale bugiardo." He thought about it for a moment before another small gasp escaped him. "O sei il bugiardo e hai detto a Enzo che non avevi un ragazzo! Questa è un famiglia piena di bugiardi, Eleanora!"
(Aren't you single? Enzo is a liar. Or you're the liar and you told Enzo you didn't have a boyfriend! This is a family full of liars, Eleanora!)

"Ho detto Enzo che non avevo un ragazzo when non ne avevo uno! Smettila di essere così drammatico, mio​dio-" (I told Enzo I didn't have a boyfriend when I didn't! Stop being so dramatic, my God-)

"Will you two shut up?" Cristina asked, looking at the two of them. "Not all of us can understand Italian and we don't want to listen to it."

Eleanora and Max pouted at the tone. Eleanora turned around and focused on her article again, and Max sat down to take a sip of coffee. Meredith leaned toward Eleanora, her voice low and with a hint of laughter.

Smettila di essere così drammatico, mio​dio- (She's just being a bitch because we're fighting. Don't worry.)

Eleanora looks up, her eyes shining with excitement. "Do you Speak Italian?"

Meredith nodded and leaned back in her chair. "I'm not as good as you, I guess. It seems like your first language with how easily and quickly you speak it. I have to think about it a bit, but yes, I do speak it. How did you think I got around so well in Italy?"