Chapter 14

"Sunshine, Hey, wake up."

Eleanora moaned from where she was lying face down on her pillow. She was curled up in her blankets and she could feel Alex's legs tangled in hers. She was comfortable, relaxed. "Go away."

Alex huffed, pressing a kiss to her shoulder blade. "No, I can't. If you don't get up, we'll be late, and you want to take care of Meredith, right? Be all mama bear on her butt?"

Yes, she thought. She turned on her back, pouting at the amused face of her boyfriend. Meredith's first full day after the bomb, and Eleanora was probably more nervous than Meredith herself.

"I hate you sometimes." Alex smiled, leaning down to press a long kiss to her lips. Eleanora let one of her hands rest on his cheek, returning the kiss enthusiastically. He pulled away after a moment, leaving a trail of kisses down her neck.

"No, you don't. You enjoy my company." Alex stated matter-of-factly. He pressed one last kiss to her bare shoulder before removing the covers. He reached down and grabbed his jeans, putting them on as he walked around the bed.

"I have to leave without you. I told Bailey I'd do a pre-round on some of her discharged patients before everyone else arrived." She grabbed her hoodie and put it on, winking at him. "Don't stay in bed too long, darling."

Eleanora smiled, giving him a soft "Goodbye" as she sat down. She stretched out her arms, quickly stood up, and crawled over to grab her clothes. She glanced at her watch on her nightstand, wondering how long it would take her to get coffee before going to the hospital. She and Izzie had talked about this new place on the hospital block a few days before, and Eleanora really wanted to try it.

Coming to the conclusion that she could do it if she prepared quickly, she smiled to herself. Tying her hair into a ponytail, she jumped towards the door as she put on her pants.

"Welcome to Kelly's Spot, how can I help you today?"

The barista behind the counter was a younger woman with red hair and a smile on her lips. Eleanora gave her a smile and took a step forward. She let her eyes dance over the menu above them, biting her lip as she thought.

"Um, I'll just have a large espresso with vanilla, please." The woman, Hannah, if her name tag was correct, simply raised an eyebrow and marked the order.

"Do you work at the hospital down the street?" She questioned. Eleanora nodded, digging through her purse for money. She knew her wallet was in there somewhere, but the contents of her purse were a mess from last night's ER shift.

"Yes! I'm an intern, actually. Why do you ask?"

Hannah just let out a small laugh. "The only people who order large espressos around here work at the hospital. I'm a small worried about the amount of caffeine you guys consume. The total is 5.78."

Before Eleanora could take out her wallet, she felt a body pressed against her back. She froze, looking up as a muscular arm in a leather jacket closed around her with a twenty.

"It's on me. Just add a Bone-Dry cappuccino, large."

The stranger's voice was low and husky. Eleanora looked through her eyelashes at the stranger, letting her bag fall next to her.

He was handsome. No, scratch that, he was downright sexy. He had dirty blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes. Along with his sharp jawline came a clean beard, not to mention the man's height and sheer muscle.

Eleanora gave a nervous laugh, shifting from one leg to the other. "T-thank you?"

The man looked her in the eyes and gave her a smile that would make any woman weak in the knees. It probably made Eleanora a small nervous, but all the young woman had to do was imagine Alex and she was able to distract herself from him.