Chapter 20

"Are you still angry at me?" Eleanora asked, looking at her boyfriend as she approached him. They were heading to work and she had made sure to arrive early so they could talk before the day started.

"You stole my surgery." Alex didn't look at her, he rummaged through his bag for a moment. She nodded, her voice understanding.

"I did. I stole your surgery from you, even if it wasn't my choice. And you may be upset about that, but I don't want you to be angry."

They entered the hospital, Eleanora giving a few smiles and "hello" to some of the workers. Alex finally looked at her, his face softening.

He couldn't be mad at her, really. Once he returned to her house a few nights ago, he automatically felt bad and wanted to come back and apologize for being an idiot. However, being stubborn, he kept it up for a few days.

He sighed, shaking his head. He took her hand, making her focus completely on him. With hope in her eyes, Eleanora smiled and bowed her head.

"I'm still mad because you stole my surgery and you owe me one. But I'm not mad at you, okay? Don't think I could really be mad at you."

She let out a squeal in response, moving her head so she could press a kiss to his lips. He smiled and looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Good. I was having quite a dilemma about you being angry." They walked into the locker room and Eleanora remembered what Meredith told her to tell Alex.

"Oh! Izzie is coming over today to clean out her locker. Let's try not to be mean to her, okay?" Alex rolled his eyes and took off his jacket and shirt. Eleanora let her eyes roam over his bare chest for a moment, stifling a smile at the sight of him.

"Does she still have that check for 8 million?" Eleanora nodded, quickly changing into her pink Henley that went under her jacket.

"Yeah. It's giving us all severe anxiety. I mean, that's a lot of money to have in a house."

Alex huffed, staying quiet as his other friends entered. Izzie gave them both a cheerful wave, taking the box she brought to her old locker.

Eleanora's pager buzzed and she picked it up, frowning slightly. It was Dr. Burke, and she shook her head, closing her locker. She grabbed her lab coat and maneuvered around her friends, kissing Alex quickly on the cheek.

"Burke called me, so I have to go. And Izzie, please go and cash the cheque"

"Dr. Burke, did you page?" Eleanora jumped toward him, the man looking up from the charts. He nodded, turning his attention fully to her.

"Dr. Amedeo, yes. At the M&M, I will be giving a review on patient #34986 and needed someone to be present to review the paperwork and make sure it matches." He hands her a folder, nodding. "You're the most trustworthy person who was there, so I'd like you to go over it and make sure everything is correct."

Eleanora's eyebrows furrowed, taking the folder. She placed it on the desk and opened it. "Patient #34986? That was..."

DUQUETTE JR., DENNY
DIED ON MAY 14, 2006
COD: CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE

She paled, clutching the folder tightly. She cleared her throat, trying not to let panic take over her. Burke looked at her, his face falling as he realized that perhaps it hadn't been as good an idea as he had previously thought.

"Congestive heart failure?" She asked him, his voice light. "Is that what we're going to say that killed him, Dr. Burke?"

He nodded, flexing his hand. "That's what he died from, Doctor Amedeo."