Chapter 17

S8 EP01

"Good morning!" April called, the cafeteria was busy with surgeons and residents chatting. The new residency year had begun, and April was adamant about getting everyone to breakfast to talk about their specialties. "And, uh, welcome to your last year of residency!"

Almost everyone ignored her, and Eleanora sent her a sad smile before going back to making her breakfast sandwich. She felt Mark hit her hips and she looked up, eyebrow raised.

"Yeah?"

"Are you planning to ask me about the highs of Plastic Surgery?" She scoffed; Eleanora shook her head laughing.

"You tell me about the highs of Plastic Surgery almost every night, and somehow I'm still specializing in Neuro. You might want to work on your campaign skills."

Mark winced and put a hand to his chest jokingly. "That hurts, Dr. Sloan."

"And you make it too easy, Dr. Sloan." She replied, placing a quick kiss on his cheek before grabbing more eggs for her plate.

Mark starts making his too, and when he reaches for a fourth slice of bacon, Eleanora smacks his hand. His eyebrows raise at her and he turns his hurt eyes on her.

"You don't need four slices of bacon, Mark." She told him, raising an eyebrow. He grumbled something, and before Eleanora could ask him to repeat it, Jackson stepped between them.

"Good morning, Ella." he greeted his friend before heading to the Plastic Surgeon. "Dr. Sloan, I was hoping to talk to you about mentoring."

"And with that," Eleanora stated, grabbing her plate and heading for the exit, "I will make my exit and eat my breakfast sandwich and eggs in peace. Jackson, make sure no more bacon is stolen. I would like my children have a father who is not plagued by heart disease."

Eleanora smiled as Mark let out a small cry of protest, but continued on. As she approached a table, she noticed Meredith. Both women froze, staring at each other for a moment.

It had been a week since their fight, and although Eleanora didn't regret what she had said and Meredith still hadn't said she regretted her actions, it was clear that they both missed each other.

Cristina had kept them in the loop about each other, and Eleanora knew stuff from Derek. Eleanora took a deep breath before approaching the tall blonde woman, sending her a small smile.

"Good morning, Meredith."

"Good morning, Eleanora." Meredith sent her a smile of her own, picking at the cupcake she had in her hands. Eleanora breathed shakily, her nervousness filling her.

"Um, how's Zola? Is everything okay with her?"

"Yes, everything is ok." Meredith confirmed, looking back at her. "She's starting to form little words, nothing special, but she's still adorable. How are the twins?"

"They are very good." Eleanora responded, her smile widening a little. "They're starting to sleep through the night, so that's good."

There was silence between the two, and Eleanora looked down at her plate. She opened her mouth to speak again, but the Chief's voice made both Eleanora and Meredith look over, along with most of the room.

"You all know what you're doing. Just...don't kill anyone." Eleanora watched as April's eye twitched at the vague speech, and she and Meredith snorted a little. "Uh...Meredith! Can I see you in my office?"

Meredith nodded, throwing away the rest of her cupcake. Before following the Chief, she turned to Eleanora, giving a tight smile.

"I have to...."