Chapter 23

S8 EP23

"Where are we with Avery?" Hunt asked the attendings gathered in the conference room, the whiteboard filled with names of fifth-year residents and their fellowship options.

"He has offers from USC, Penn, Tulane and Emory." Mark responded, twirling the pen between his fingers. "Tulane and Emory are in love. They want him very much."

"OK." Hunt sighed, scribbling down the options. He then wrote 'Amedeo-Sloan', casting a curious glance over his shoulder at Mark and Derek. "Do any of you know where Eleanora is going?"

"My contacts at Hopkins and Harvard tell me they love her very much. Especially Hopkins." Derek sighed, looking across the table at his best friend. "Do you know anything about a decision?"

"She's bad with decisions outside the operating room, we all know that." Mark told them. He looked at Hunt, nodding. "But I would say it's going to be very close between Seattle and Hopkins. She may follow Derek if he goes to Harvard, but Hopkins is calling out to her."

"And Grey?" Hunt asked, looking at Derek.

"Uh, still between Boston and Seattle."

Hunt snorts, looking between the two men. "If I am going to lose two of my most talented residents and the Heads of two of my departments, I would love a decision sooner rather than later."

"Me and you both, Hunt." Derek agreed, turning the page in his folder. Mark shrugged as the gazes turned to him and leaned back.

"I've told her it's her decision and I'll follow her wherever she goes. There's a practice in Baltimore that wants me on their staff, and I have a good job here in Seattle. Whatever my wife wants for her career, she'll get it."

______

Eleanora danced to the happy music playing in Meredith's house, while all the fifth-year residents drank like crazy in celebration.

Eleanora accepted the shot of tequila Meredith offered her and downed it, wrinkling her nose a little as the burning sensation ran through her throat. She held her head, laughing as Meredith handed her a glass of beer.

"We passed our boards!" Meredith yelled at Cristina and Eleanora, with a big smile on her face. Cristina laughed, screaming in Meredith's face.

"We killed the boards!"

"We made those boards our bitch!" Eleanora shouted, the three of them jumping and dancing on the couch. Eleanora took a big gulp of her beer, throwing one arm up and swinging it from side to side, laughing when Cristina bumped her hip.

The three separate when April runs and jumps between them, absolutely drunk. Eleanora is a little drunk, sure, but April is completely out of it.

Cristina, Meredith and Eleanora look at each other worriedly before slowly returning to dancing with her. They all start shaking their heads, laughter finally coming out of all of their mouths.

Cristina's cell phone rings and she pushes Meredith to turn off the music. Meredith trips a little on the couch cushions when she goes to do it, she and Eleanora jump off while Cristina does it.

Once Meredith turns off the stereo, Cristina answers the phone, brushing her loose curls out of her face. Eleanora fans her with a smile on her lips.

"This is Dr. Yang." Cristina responds, panting a little. "Mhm. Mhm. Well, that really gives me a lot to think about. Thank you very much for calling." Cristina hangs up a moment later, the room tense and silent as Eleanora continues to fan her with wide, curious eyes.

Cristina smiles, turning to shout to the crowd of her classmates. "Mayo wants to give me a research lab! Guess who's back in the race."

Cheers spread throughout the room, with Eleanora being the loudest as she clung to Cristina's back in a hug. Meredith turns the music back on and everyone starts dancing again, Cristina turns and shakes her chest at Eleanora, who laughs back.