Chapter 8

S7 EP12

"Later we said, Mark. Repeatedly. We both decided, again, several times, that we would stay in the apartment for a year or so and then look for houses."

Eleanora was standing at her sink in the bathroom, quickly applying her makeup so they could go to work. Behind her, Mark crossed the room while he brushed his teeth. He grimaced, talking over the toothbrush.

"I know, but I think it would be fun to keep looking around." He shook his head, Eleanora giving him a look in the mirror as he continued. "What if we lose our dream home in a year?"

"Then it's not the house of our dreams." She said blankly, shaking her own head. She grabbed her mascara and began to apply it, sighing. "You were the first one to mention this, honey. It was your idea."

Mark finally stopped walking and stood behind his wife, placing his arm around her stomach. He gently pulled her to the side and leaned around her so he could spit the toothpaste out, watching her through the mirror once he was done.

"You should know it wouldn't have lasted long."

Eleanora finishes her mascara once Mark steps away from her and puts away the rest of her makeup. She quickly brushes her hair back and then turns to him, placing a hand on her hip.

"I like our apartment. Our apartment is our home. It's a nice apartment, and we spent a good amount of money on it." She pushes against his chest, Mark arching an eyebrow at the action. "We don't need a house right now, because it would just be us and our cat. A house would be too big."

The two were silent for a moment, and Eleanora raised an eyebrow, waiting for some form of acknowledgment. Mark finally sighed, nodding his head.

"Fine. One year and we'll start looking. I'll leave it." Eleanora nodded, turning to go get her bag for her work. However, a mischievous laugh left her husband's lips and she felt his arms wrap around her and pull her towards her chest, his hands moving to her sides to begin tickling her... "But you'll have to pay for my silence with this."

Eleanora let out shrieks of laughter, squirming in his grasp and slapping her hands together. "Mark, stop! This isn't-it's not...stop! I have to go to work-work!"

_______

"Go back and try it again. It could be a false negative. Maybe you tried too soon." Cristina told Meredith. The two and Eleanora were walking down a hallway in the hospital, discussing Meredith's negative pregnancy test.

Eleanora clipped her pager to her pants, nodding her head as she looked at Meredith to continue what Cristina had started earlier. "Isn't it just day ten of the treatments?"

"Yeah." Meredith sighed, Eleanora and Cristina exchanged a knowing look before speaking in unison.

"Too soon."

They turned a corner and headed into the surgical lobby. Cristina thought for a second, perking up when an idea occurred to her. "Piss on a bunch of different tests, don't give up."

"Well, it's a scientific test. I don't think I can bend it to my will." Meredith laughed; Eleanora let out a 'pshh'.

"Please, it depends on the brand you get." Eleanora tilted her head, thinking. "Are they doing any good tests on you? Maybe you should go see one of the obstetricians and ask them to give you one."

"Today I'm going to do three surgeries." Cristina said suddenly, changing the conversation. "I made four yesterday. I'm unstoppable. And you were defeated by a piece of plastic covered in urine? Cheer up!"

Eleanora laughed, jumping a little when she heard Jackson speak behind her. "What is this, everyone was called?"

She turned her head to send him a look, also noticing Alex and April. Jackson gives her a smile, playfully nudging her shoulder to get her to focus forward. Alex sighs, obviously not at all amused by the day ahead of them. The four of them who had been at Seattle Grace for their entire residency already knew what today was like, but April and Jackson hadn't been there long enough.