2

"Mom why are we doing this?" Tori complained as she arranged a purple pillow on the bed. Mr. Harnett had requested that they get a room prepared for Lyra. Mrs. Harnett looked at her daughter letting out a sigh. She fixed the last picture on the wall and stepped back to admire her work.

"Mom?"

Mrs. Harnett turned her gaze to Tori.

"Your father feels like he owes it to his sister to take her daughter in,"

"But why?" Tori questioned sitting on the newly made bed. Mrs. Hartnett took a seat next to Tori wrapping her arms around her.

"I don't know babe, I don't know," Mrs. Hartnett admitted looking around the room. Tori shrugs her mother's arms off her standing up from the bed.

Without uttering another word to her mother, Tori stalked out of the room angrily. Mrs. Harnett got up smoothing down the creases in the comforter, she walked out the room closing the door behind her.

Mr. Hartnett had just walked out their room, his car keys dangling in his hands.

"You going now?" Mrs. Hartnett asked her husband, crossing her hand over her chest. Mr. Hartnett nodded his head yes. "I hope you know what you are doing bringing that girl here," Mrs. Hartnett voiced and then turned her back on her husband.

Mr. Hartnett shook his head as he climbed into his car. He stuck the key in the key slot, starting up the car engine.

'God, please don't let this be a mistake,' Mr. Hartnett prayed as he pulled out the driveway.

---------------------------------------------*********--------------------------------------------------

"Hello Mr. Hartnett, thank you for coming," Mrs. Temple greeted as she held her hand out for him to shake.

Mr. Hartnett shook her hand and took a seat down in the chair in front of her desk.

"Alright so I have the paper work that you must sign, but before we start do you have any questions or concerns?"

Mr. Hartnett cleared his throat, as he sat up in his chair.

"None, that I can think of,"

"Understandable, alright I'm going to need you to sign here, here, and here," Mrs. Temple handed him the pen. Mr. Hartnett signed the documents handing them back to Mrs. Temple.

"Stay here, I'll bring her in for you to meet," Mrs. Temple smiled as she left the room. Mr. Hartnett fondled with his finger, shifting in his chair. What was really about to happen was setting in his head. He was going to be taking in his now deceased disowned sister's daughter. Mr. Hartnett heard the door open and turned to see who came in.

"Mr. Hartnett meet Lyra, Lyra this is your Uncle Garret Hartnett." Mrs. Temple moved to the side revealing Lyra. A gasp escaped his mouth as he stared at the young lady in front of him.

"I thought she was under 11 or so," He blurted out.

"No, she's 16, she'll be 17 in December," Mrs. Temple explained bringing in Lyra's things.

Mr. Hartnett examined Lyra, it was scary how identical she looked to his sister.Same almond shaped eyes, a small button nose, dimples, and black wavy hair stopping just under her shoulder blades. Most likely she had relaxed hair.

"Is that all you have?" Mr. Hartnett asked his niece, pointing to the two suitcases at her foot.

"Yeah..."

"Uh, we should head back to the house now," Mr. Hartnett thanked Mrs. Temple and helped Lyra carry her stuff to the car. Lyra got into the passenger seat, her purple book perched on her lap.