41 (actual Chapter)

"What do you think is going to happen after all of this?" Lyra questions her boyfriend as they walked through the park. Calvin held her hand in his tightly, his eyes scanning over the area. This was the only free day they had before Gavin's hearing. Lyra was anxious to hear what the verdict would be. Surely the jury would find Gavin guilty.

"I would like to think things would go back to normal, but I don't know. It seems like something is always happening. We can never catch a break." Calvin speaks his mind. Lyra nods her head, agreeing to the words coming out of his mouth.

"We take one step forward, just to take three back," Lyra mumbles. The couple continues on the walk through the park, stopping to look at the swans in the water. "I wish I could be a swan. They're so carefree, calm, beautiful." Lyra stares at the bird gliding through the water.

"You're even better than a swan, you're Lyra," Calvin smiles down at her, then snakes his arm around her waist, pulling her into his side.

The rest of the day was relaxing for the pair. They finished their stroll through the park to stop and get some frozen yogurt at a local shop in town. After they enjoyed their treat, Calvin drove Lyra home.

"What is she doing?" Lyra sat up in the chair, staring out the window at Talia. She was throwing out boxes of things out the front door. Trey stood at the door trying to stop her, but she did not seem to be listening to him.

Calvin stopped the car, and Lyra quickly got out when she realized it was her stuff being thrown out the house. "What are you doing with my things?!" Lyra shouts as she approaches her aunt. Talia stops what she was doing and marches over to Lyra.

"This is my house, and I want you out of it. Your sorry excuse of an uncle should have never taken in a hoodlum like you. You have put my family through so much. I do not want you here anymore!" Talia growls.

Lyra went to say something in retaliation, but Calvin stopped her. "Lyra, don't...it's not worth it. Let's just get your things and go." Calvin frowns. Lyra looks at her things scattered on the lawn and thrown messily into boxes. She wanted to cry, but she was not going to show Talia that she had won. Calvin helped her load his car with her items until there was nothing left on the lawn. "You get in the car, I'll go inside and make sure there is nothing left in your room." Calvin handed her the car keys. Lyra sniffles, grabbing the keys from him. She wanted to say goodbye to Trey, but Talia stood in front of him. With one final glance at the house, Lyra got into the car.

Calvin came back a few minutes later and got in the car. "We have everything," He told her while putting the keys in the ignition.

"Where am I going to go?" Lyra whispers.

"You have me, I'm not going to abandon you, or let you stay on the streets." Calvin told her, "You can stay with me, my parents love you." Hearing those words made Lyra feel a little better. She wasn't alone in the world after all.

When Calvin arrived at his house, Lyra was nervous to go in there. Calvin had to convince her that she was welcomed in his house.

"Is everything okay?" Renee greeted her son as soon as he entered the house with a distraught looking Lyra. Calvin shook his head as he walked over to his mother and informed her of what just happened at the Hartnett house. "Oh dear, come in Lyra, I'll set you up in our guest bedroom. Calvin please bring her things in." Renee grabbed Lyra's hand and led her through the house to their spare room. She pushed the door open.

"Lyra, I want you to know that you're welcome to stay here for as long as you would like. My son is very fond of you, and I can see the two of your futures intertwining together. If you ever need anything, please, don't hesitate to come to me. You're pretty much family." Renee wrapped her arms tightly around Lyra. Lyra didn't even know she had started crying, until she could feel her body shaking from the sobs that was escaping her.

"Thank you so much, that means a lot to me rightnow," Lyra managed to get out through the tears.