38 (unedited)

Calvin took Lyra to a pizza place that he was starting to attend pretty often. Lyra sat down in the booth, while Calvin stood on line to order their pizza. As Calvin was still ordering their food, Lyra took out her phone checking for updates on Gavin's case. She couldn't wait for the trial to start. Sure, he was her cousin, but he needed to be held accountable for his actions.

"You okay?" Calvin questions when he returns with their pizza. Lyra sets her phone down, nodding her head.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Lyra grabs one of the slices of pizza, taking a huge bite from it. Calvin chuckles, grabbing a slice for himself. "Do you have to testify at the trial?" Lyra wonders after she chews and swallows the food in her mouth.

"Yeah, but my mother does not want me too, she doesn't want Gavin's mother to target me or something." Calvin explains, which he could see where his mother was coming from.

"Honestly, Talia can't really do much, if she does, everyone will automatically point the fingers in her direction. She's dense, but i don't think she is that dense." Lyra speaks up, then takes another bite of her pizza. Calvin thinks about what she said and he had to agree with her. Talia would have to be seriously deranged in her head if she would try to do anything at this moment.

"I want to go on vacation after this trial is over," Calvin suddenly says after he picks up his second slice of pizza. "I want you to come with me," Calvin looks at Lyra, waiting for her reaction.

"I would be honored to go on this vacation," She flashes him a huge smile, "Where would you like to go?" Lyra uses a napkin to wipe her fingers and mouth.

"I was thinking something tropical like Jamaica or even St. Lucia." Calvin takes a bite of the pizza, "I wouldn't even mind Hawaii."

"Those places would be extremely expensive though," Lyra voices her worry. She didn't think she would be able to afford to go to Hawaii, Jamaica was more affordable.

Calvin gives her a look, his eyes rolling slightly, "I hope you don't think you're going to be paying a cent for this trip. I brought it up, so I will be paying." Calvin informs her. Lyra shakes her head.

"No, I can't expect you to pay for that, it is too much money." Lyra  tries to be reasonable with him, but of course Calvin was stubborn.

"Consider it an early graduation present." He grins, but quickly ducks when Lyra throws a wad of paper at his head. When he came back up, he was still smiling. "How about I let you pay for like one meal on the trip." He offers, knowing full well that one meal was no way near comparable to the amount of money he would have to spend for both the hotel and plane tickets.

"Fine," Lyra mumbles, although in her head, she was trying to think of ways she would be able to insert her money.

Lyra and Calvin spent another hour at the pizza place before Calvin drove her home. When Lyra walked into the house, her uncle was sitting at the dinner table with her aunt. They had a whole bunch of papers sprawled out in front of them and it seems like her uncle was getting frustrated reading everything.

"Hey," Lyra greets them as she passes them and heads into the kitchen. She grabs a water bottle from the fridge and headed up to her room. She was glad that Calvin took her to the pizza place so she wouldn't have to stay in the kitchen to eat something, while her uncle and his wife talked about god knows what.

Trial Day 1

Lyra decided it would be best to drive to the trial with Calvin and Ivy. She did not want to be in the same car with her aunt or her uncle. Gavin was after all their son and she felt like they were placing some blame on her for his troubles. Tori and Trey remained at home with a babysitter, Talia did not want her younger children at the  trial.

"Are you nervous?" Lyra asks Calvin as she fixes his tie. They had just arrived at the courthouse, his parents were walking ahead of them, getting ready to enter the courtroom.  Ivy stood next to Lyra waiting for them.

"I'm not nervous, I just want this to all be over with." Calvin then thanks her for fixing his tie. Lyra nods, grabbing his hand into hers. The two walked towards the courtroom, with Ivy on their heel.

Inside the courtroom was a good amount of people, Lauren's parents were there, her mother sobbing slightly. Her parents were still taking the death of their daughter pretty hard. What Lyra wanted to know was why did Gavin kill Lauren. She always thought the two of them were working together to basically make both Calvin and her life a living hell.

The courtroom became quiet when the judge came into the room. Lyra glanced over to the jury, noticing there was a fair amount of both male and females of different races. Lyra assumed it was to ensure that Gavin would get a fair trial. 

When the trial started,, Lyra kind of blocked out all the unimportant things that were being said by Gavin's lawyer. They were trying to make it seem like he was a honorable boy, that made one mistake. Yeah, shooting your friend and killing his ex is one big mistake alright.

Lyra kept her eyes on the prosecutor when it was his turn to talk.

"Ladies and gentleman, I want to paint a picture for you...and not everything in this picture will be all rainbows and sunshine. You see what the defendant does not want you all to see is the long tract record that Mr. Hartnett has acquired throughout his young life. In and out of behavioral wards from the age of 10 years old."

Lyra's mouth dropped open, as she quickly looked over to Gavin's parents. Her uncle was clenching his jaw, while her aunt look furious. I guess their perfect family was not as perfect as everyone thought.

"How did they keep that a secret?" Lyra leans over, whispering into Calvin's ear. He shrugs his shoulders, he was just as surprised as Lyra was.

"Now, what do you think happens to a kid like that?" The prosecutor turns his attention to the jury, "Straight A student? No, not in this case. Mr. Hartnett was passing his classes with B-. Not to mention he was on the bridge of getting kicked off of his football team...I want to bring out my first witness."

All eyes turned to the doors opening to reveal a young African American lady. Lyra had never seen her before, she wondered who she was.  The girl was about average height with a slim built. She looked confident as she made her way to the podium, taking a seat. Her eyes racked over the crowd, landing on Lyra.

"Will you state your name please."

"Yes, my name is Emerald Lenard." Lyra watched as Emerald rested her hand on the table before her, watching as someone walked over to her to swear her in before they began the cross examination.