29

Two weeks had passed since Orange county had found out about the fate of Lauren. Everything was back to normal in the school. The cops and detectives no longer interviewed the students or staff of the high school. For Lyra this was a relief because for a while she had felt like detective Benson placed her as a suspect. 

Life at home for Lyra was bearable as well. Her aunt and cousins essentially left her alone. There was no hostility in the house, everyone was civil. Lyra got off her bed, grabbing her jacket off her desk chair. She was currently waiting for Ivy to come get her so they could go to their high school football game. It was a pretty big deal because it was the last game of the season before all the seniors graduated. Gavin had already left with a few of his friends.

Just as Lyra opened the front door, Ivy pulled up. Lyra jogged over to the car, getting into the passenger seat. "Are you pumped for this?" She smiles looking at her friend while she put on her seat-belt.

"Pumped? Do you not see me?" Ivy giggles motioning to her all orange outfit with the school's mascot; a tiger on her shirt.

Ivy pulled off, getting onto the road. "This is our last football game as high school students. It is going to be epic!" She squeals, tapping the steering wheel of her car excitedly.

"Yeah, this year sure did go by quickly," Lyra mumbles, leaning her head slightly on the car window.

"Well of course it did for you, you came in the middle of the year remember?' Ivy reminded her. Lyra nods her head in agreement. "Wait....what's going on up there?" Ivy slowed down her car, coming to a stop behind the car in front of them.

"It's a road block?" Lyra says trying to see past all the cars. Slowly but shortly the line of cars started to move. There were a few cop cars and an ambulance in the road. "Maybe it was a car crash..." Lyra concluded after they got through the road block. 

"That was weird," Ivy says glancing back at the scene in her rear view mirror. 

"Extremely," Lyra whispers turning back around in her seat. The two arrived at their school, and parked near the front entrance. Everyone had their school spirit full on display. There was a sea of orange and black. 

The duo got out and made their way to the football field. 

"Let's get a little bit rowdy! Let's get a little bit rowdy!" The cheerleaders chanted as everyone was making their way to the bleachers find some seats.

"Hey i'm going to go say hi to Calvin real quick, find us some good seats," Lyra told Ivy. Ivy nodded then walked off to the bleachers. Lyra looked around for the dirty blonde haired boy. 

"Calvin!" She called out when she found him. He smiled waving her over, Lyra jogged over to him, running into his open arms.

"Guess what?" He whispers in her ear after he pecked her lips.

"You're super excited about this game?" Lyra guessed, to which Calvin nodded his head, a grin on his face.

"Yes, but I get to play today," He informs her, showing her that his hand no longer had the cast, but a supportive brace.

"That's great baby! Does your team know?" She asks looking up at him.

"Only a few,"

"Gavin?" Lyra asks, looking over the team.

"Yeah... he was pretty pissed about it, he's sulking over there," Calvin pointed out his ex-best friend who was angrily talking on the phone with someone.

"Well, I know you're going to do great on the field, knock 'em dead baby," Lyra says kissing him quickly before rushing back to where Ivy had found them seats.

"You guys are so cute together," Ivy gushed when Lyra sat down next to her. Lyra blushed shaking her head at her friend. 

Once the cheerleaders and the band had finished performing, everyone had to stand up for the national anthem. The players got on their knees, while the selected singer from their chorus belted out the lyrics. Lyra watched Calvin from her seat with a small smile. As if he could feel her gaze on him, he turned around to glance back her. He smirks, nodding his head in her direction. 

After the singer was done, the players got up and huddled together. Lyra frowns when she saw her cousin marching up to the huddle. He was pissed from what Lyra could see. The group broke off after their 'go team' chant. Calvin tensed when Gavin stopped in front of him. From Lyra's view it looked like some heated words were being thrown between the two. The coach walked over, breaking the little argument.

"Your cousin is psychotic," Ivy comments once the dispute was handled. Gavin stared at Calvin before walking back to the bench. Calvin rolled his eyes putting his helmet on, jogging to his team. The referee blew his whistle so the players could start lining up in their positions. 

"He has a gun!" Someone yelled in the crowd...but it was already too late. The shots fired through the air one after another.

Pow...Pow...Pow

Lyra shot up in her seat, her hand covering to her mouth...she froze. Two of the football players tackled Gavin to the ground, seizing the gun from him.

"Somebody call 911!"

"Who did he shoot? Who did he shoot?" People started questioning. Lyra scanned the crowd for Calvin, shaking her head in denial. Please don't be him, please.

"No!" She screamed as she ran down the bleachers towards the figure lying on the ground. His teammates, huddled around him, perching his head up. Three bullets wounds evident on his uniform as the red blood pooled out soaking the white and orange shirt.  

"Get the helmet off," A team yelled as they struggled to press on the wounds that were gushing blood. "Stay with us man, stay with us," 

"Calvin!" Lyra rushed over, kneeling down, grabbing his hand. "Help is one the way, you're going to be okay," She tells him, tears leaking from her eyes. Calvin was unresponsive,  "Calvin?" Lyra calls his name, staring down at him in horror. 

"Hold his head up!" The coach instructed, "don't let him drown in his own blood." Lyra could not look at this..her boyfriend, lying on the ground as his coach attempted to do CPR on him to save his life. She could feel his pain, it was like she was the one that got shot. It was all too much for her...everything went black.