43

Gavin's hearing

"All rise," The judge for Gavin's case walked into the courtroom, dressed in a long black robe. He made his way to the podium and took a seat. "You may be seated, court is now in session." He looks at both sides of the courtroom. Lyra sat next to Calvin in the middle of the room. On her left was Ivy, and on the right of Calvin was his sister, mother, as well as his father.

"Has the jury reached a verdict?"

Lyra sucked in a breath as the courtroom became silence. The jury had a long time to come up with their verdict. It was eating away at everyone to finally hear what the decision would be. One of the jurors stood up with a slip of paper. The officer in the room walked over to the juror, taking the slip of paper. He then walked the paper over to the judge. The judge scanned over the words written on the paper.

"In the case of Gavin Hartnett vs the people of orange county, how do you find the defendant?" The judge cleared his throat as he asked this question to the jurors.

"We, the jury find the defendent, Gavin Hartnett guilty, in the first degree murder of Lauren Oslen."

The court erupted in a serious of murmurs, hollers from Talia, and happiness from everyone else. The judge called order to the court so that the juror could continue. Lyra gripped Calvin's arm, happy to hear what the verdict was.

"We, the jury find the defendant, Gavin Hartnett, guilty in the attempted murder of Calvin Doherty."

"We, the jury find the defendant, Gavin Hartnett, guilty of assault with a deadly weapon."

The judge motioned for the officers to take custody of Gavin. His mother started screaming, throwing a fit as she held her arms out towards him. Gavin opened his mouth to say something to her, but he was removed from the room. Mr. Hartnett grabbed hold of Talia's arm taking her out of the courtroom. 

Once they were out everyone began to pile out of the courtroom. "Finally we can be at peace with everything," Lyra speaks up, holding Calvin's hand. Calvin nods his head, agreeing with her.

"We can all finally move on with our lives." He kissed the back of her hand, following his family outside of the courtroom.

Yes, I am aware that this chapter is extremely short. That is because I wanted to separate Gavin's hearing from the rest of the chapters. The next chapter I post will be longer than this. Thank you for reading!