28

"Dead?!" Lyra exclaimed, but not loud enough for anyone to hear her. Ivy nods her head, wrapping her arms around herself.

"It's really bad, I mean I know Lauren wasn't the best person ever. She was pretty rude, evil, and just overall a very ugly person inside....but she didn't deserve that." Lyra had to agree with Ivy on that one. No matter how much she hated Lauren, she did not wish for any harm to come her way.

"Excuse me ladies," The two girls stopped talking to see one of the detectives standing in front of them. "Which one of you is Lyra Thomas?" He looks between the two girls.

Lyra raised her hand slightly, "I'm detective Benson, would you mind coming with me?"

Lyra glanced at Ivy, who shrugged her shoulders. Hesitantly Lyra followed the detective. She was led into one of the classrooms, that now seemed to be used for a makeshift interrogation room.

"Have a seat please Ms. Thomas. " Lyra slowly sits down in the chair. She chewed on her bottom lip as she observed the detective in front of her. Lyra rested her hands on the table, the detectives hazel eyes followed her every move. This made her very uncomfortable.

"Have you heard about the tragedy that happened to your fellow classmate?" He began, watching to see her reaction. Detective Benson had already interviewed about a dozen more kids before Lyra. His blonde hair fell limp in front of his face as he continued to stare intently at the young lady.

"Yeah, I just heard about it like two minutes ago..." Lyra mumbles looking away from his gaze. Benson was pleased with himself, because he knew that he was making Lyra feel very uncomfortable. Benson rolled up the sleeves of his dress shirt, revealing his tan skin.

"If you don't mind me asking, what was your relations with Lauren?" He questions.

Lyra sighs, twirling a piece of her hair, "Well we sort of had a small rivalry if you want to call it that. We were never on the friendliest terms..." Lyra admits to the detective. He nods writing these things down.

"Had any fights happened between you two ?" He looks at her, Lyra nods slightly. There was no point in lying about what had occurred between her and Lauren. She knew she had nothing to do with her death.

"Where were you last Monday night?"

"I was at home, you can check in with my uncle...he was home too," Lyra tells him, "So...how did Lauren uh died?" Lyra breathed out.

"Sorry that information is classified, thank you for your time Lyra...you may leave." Lyra got up from the chair, gathering all her items with her. She gave the detective a firm smile before rushing out of the room. Benson studied Lyra as she exited the room and quickly scribbled something in his notes about her.

At lunch Lyra sat with Ivy and Calvin. "I just can't believe she is dead," Calvin comments. Lauren was after all his ex girlfriend. At some point in time he did love her.

"I wondered what happened exactly, that fact seems to be a mystery." Lyra says shoving a spoon full of yogurt into her mouth.

"All students please report to the auditorium immediately." The principals voice rang out through the loud speaker. The trio looked at each other and slowly started to rise from the table. Lyra quickly finished her yogurt and threw out her trash.

Everyone walked out of the cafeteria making their way into the auditorium. The entire student body began to pile into the room, finding seats. Others stood in the back or along the walls. Lyra looked around. She found Detective Benson standing with the other officers, he was staring right at her. Lyra frowned and looked ahead to see their principal coming to the stage.

"Good afternoon, as most of you may have heard...we have lost a fellow classmate Lauren Oslen." Hushed conversation began to erupt in the crowd. "We will be having a counselor for anyone who needs help coping with this tragedy. A phone call has been sent to everyone's homes so your parents are aware of what has taken place."

"Was she murdered?" Someone from the crowd called out. Detective Benson made his way to the stage.

"We are in fact treating this case as a homicide. If anyone may have anything that they think we will want to know, please come and talk to us."

With that a few other things were said before everyone was allowed to leave and go home early. Ivy left leaving Lyra and Calvin alone. The two walked around the back of the school to the track field.

"I can't wait to leave this town," Calvin says after a moment of silence. Lyra nods, there was too many bad memories here and the negativity of this town was not some place Lyra wanted to live. "Everything is just getting too much...you know?" Calvin kicks at a rock on the ground. Lyra shoves her hands in her pockets.

"Well if it makes you feel any better we graduate in two months..." She reminds him.

"Those two months couldn't come any faster." Calvin runs a hand through his hair. Lyra watched him for a bit.

"What are you thinking about?" She asks him.

"Everything...my football career, my future..our future." He sighs softly. "Its stupid, but I don't want any of this drama stuff to come between us."

"It won't," Lyra smiles softly, wrapping her arms around him. Calvin kisses the top of her head.

"Good because I love you way too much to lose you."