34

Two weeks after Calvin had regained consciousness he was able to head home. His parents had taken him out of school and had a tutor help him with all of his assignments. Lyra had also returned home. Her aunt of course was not happy about that. She would constantly call Lyra a traitor to her own "people". Whatever that meant, Lyra ignored her because she knew she was not a traitor. She was simply doing the right things and helping her boyfriend. Mason was released from the hospital because his cancer was in remission. Lucinda was happy about that because her son was now the happy vibrant person that she knew him to be. When Lyra wasn't at school or visiting Calvin she would take Mason and Trey to the park and the mall. She had fun bonding with them. Tori had put her distanced between them, sticking to Gavin and her mother's side.
Gavin's trial was set to start the week before spring break. No one was looking forward to it at all. Yes, they all wanted Gavin to pay for what he had done, but having to go and testify placed everyone on edge.
Today was Tuesday and Lyra sat in her room, working on her school work. She had two papers to finish that night and needed all the peace and quiet she could get. Lyra typed away on her laptop, humming some song quietly to herself.
"He is your son!" Lyra heard her aunt yell. With a sigh Lyra got off her bed and walked over to her door. She cracked it open a tiny bit so she could hear what was going on.
"I already told you Talia, I can not do anything. I am already under scrutiny as it is. People think that I knew what he did all along and tried to cover for him. My job is on the line, I can't." Lyra's uncle told his wife firmly.
"You bastard!" There was a crash and the sound of glass breaking. "If you loved him you would make sure all these charges go away! You're useless!" Talia screamed at her husband as she picked up another plate and chucked it at him. Mr. Hartnett ducked just as the plate came hurling at his face.
"Talia, he is getting charged with double murder and attempted murder. I don't know what to think or believe anymore. This is getting out of hand. This is resting in the hands of the jury...I'm sorry.."
Lyra frowns as she closed her bedroom door. Double murder? Calvin was not dead. Lyra went back to her laptop and attempted to finish her papers. Some time after that Lyra fell asleep on her bed. The only light in her room coming from the glow of her laptop. Quiet footsteps came to a stop in front of Lyra's bedroom door. The door was pushed opened as the person stepped into the room. They walked over to Lyra's bedside, peering down at her sleeping form. The knife they had in their hand gleamed bright from the shine of the moon that flowed through Lyra's open window. Lyra mumbles something in her sleep, rolling over her side. Before Lyra could wake up the person left the room, closing the door behind them.
The next morning Lyra woke up. She sat up in her bed, stretching as she stared at her laptop. She closed it and took it to her desk before she made her way to the bathroom to get ready for the day. After taking a bath and getting dressed Lyra quickly printed out her papers. She read them over, checking to make sure everything came out just the way she wanted. Satisfied with the results she shoved the papers into her school bag. Lyra walked down the stairs into the kitchen. Her aunt was there cooking food. Lyra stared at her for a bit before heading to the fridge to grab a fruit cup.
"Good morning Lyra," her aunt greeted her. Lyra froze with the fruit cup in her hand. Was her aunt talking to her? I mean she was the only Lyra in the room. "Have a seat I made breakfast for everyone." Talia smiles as she sets the food on the table. Tori was already seated at the table eating. Trey walked in a few short seconds later and glanced over all the food. He snuck a glance at Lyra before shrugging and taking his place at the table. "Go on, the food isn't poisoned." Talia laughs as she takes a seat as well, sipping her morning coffee. Lyra sits down next to Trey and opens up her fruit cup. She ate that first before she reached for a toast.
"Use the strawberry jam, I remember you saying that was your favorite." Talia held the jar out to her. Lyra nods, thanking her as she took the jam from her. Honestly Lyra had no reason to be kind or polite to her. She knew Talia blamed her for Gavin getting in trouble. Trey watched his mom curiously. She was never one to cook for the family or be nice to Lyra. She usually had the maid do it for her. Trey looked at his food, pushing it around on his plate. When his mom wasn't looking he pushed some onto a napkin. He folded the napkin and shoved it in his pocket.
"You aren't hungry baby?" Talia asked her youngest son. Trey shook his head no before he stood up grabbing his school bag.
"I'm catching a ride to school with one of my friends. Bye." He quickly says before walking out of the house. Lyra finishes her toast and some of the eggs that was made.
"Yah, I'm heading out too." She got up and gathered all her belongings. Lyra stepped out the house just as Ivy was pulling into the driveway. She locked the door behind her as she jogged over to the car. She got into the passenger seat and put on her seat belt.
"My aunt was so weird today, she cooked breakfast for me." Lyra tells Ivy. Ivy thinks about it for a second and pulled off onto the road.
"Well were you the only one eating?" Lyra shook her head no as she glanced out the window.
"Tori and Trey were eating the same thing too. She wouldn't poison her own kids?"
Ivy nods agreeing, "yeah she's crazy but I don't think she's that careless."