Epilouge

Lyra leaned back in the large leather seat in her office letting out a sigh. She stared  down at the large stack of files on her desk in annoyance.  Lyra was swamped with all the cases she had to deal with in such a short amount of time.

"Mrs. Doherty?" 

Lyra looked towards the office door when she heard her name being called followed by a knock. "Come in," Lyra sat up in her seat, waiting for her receptionist to enter the room. Her receptionists entered with a large bouquet of gardenias. "Those are for me?" Lyra raised a brow, a small smile eventually forming on her face. Her receptionists nods and places the flowers delicately on her desk. "Thank you, you may leave." 

Lyra leaned towards the flowers and took a huge whiff of the fresh scent. She ran her fingers along one of the petals before reaching to read the card nestled in the center. 

To my beautiful wife, happy birthday...can't believe you've been on this earth for 34 years and I have the pleasure of sending so many years with you. xxx

Lyra sets the card down beside the flowers. She glanced over to the pictures on her desk. Her eyes were immediately drawn to her wedding pictures featuring both Calvin and herself smiling happily.  The pair had been married for over  12 years now and Lyra couldn't be anymore happier. 

Staring at the picture made her flash back to the memory of the magical day.

"Alright that was the last string," Lucia stood back to look Lyra over in her dress. Her eyes prickled with tears watching Lyra adjust the veil attached to the crown. "Lyra, you look beautiful." Lucia places a hand over her mouth. 

"Calvin is extremely lucky to be marrying you," Ivy pipes up from her chair. The makeup artist was still working on Ivy. Lyra smiles staring at her reflection in the mirror. 

"Do I look pretty, mama?" Lyra mumbles to the picture of her mother that she had stuck in the corner of the mirror. She blinked a few times to prevent herself from crying. 

Lucia watches for a moment, giving Lyra space. The rest of the bridesmaids, various friends Lyra had met while in college continued to get ready. "I have something for you, your grandmother wanted to gift it to you." Lucia walked back over to the nervous bride and opened the small box in her hand.

"What is it?" Lyra looked away from the mirror to glance at the object in Lucia's hand. Lucia smiles and shows the the necklace.

"It belonged to your mother, a family heirloom that has been passed down to all the women in your family. Your grandmother wanted you to wear it. Consider it your something borrowed."

Lyra allowed Lucia to place the necklace around her neck. She ran her fingers along the surface, feeling the coolness of the chain. 

"I can't believe I'm getting married," Lyra fans her face, "I'm such an emotional mess," she lets out a nervous giggle. Everyone in the room reassured her that the nerves she was feeling was normal and the day would soon be everything she hoped for.

"Let's go get married!" The girls all finally dressed let out a cheer. This was it, after today Lyra would be a married women. 

Lyra held onto Lucia's arm tightly as they walked down the aisle. The guests all stood up to see Lyra walk. Lyra swallowed the lump in her throat, her eyes quickly scanning the guests. She smiled softly at everyone she passed by before her eyes trained forward to the person she would be marrying.