3

Oh dear, I've neglected this story. I honestly forgot I had this story, and when I clicked on it. I read it over and saw all these errors, well in my defense those were from a year ago. I guess I can say my writing has improved, or so I liked to think. Hmm so I've thought things over and decided to give this story another go. I will be attempting, key word, ATTEMPTING to update as frequently as possible. No promises though, I do have school, in which I get tons and tons of work and if you take any AP or honors class you know what I mean. Oh and before I forget, thank you to anyone who has left a comment on this story and continued to read, despite my lack of updates. I love you!!

The following morning Lyra rolled over in her bed, the blankets tucked tightly around her. She blinked a few times, ribbing her eyes of their sleepiness. It took her about a minute to remember where she was, and that was the first time she felt the emotions hit her. It was suffocating, hard to breath. It was almost as if someone had a firm grip around her windpipe squeezing until they felt a snap. Lyra gasp, grasping at her neck, panting. The tears streamed down her face like a shower fall.

"Mom.." She choked starring off into the darkness. "Please, I need you..." She cried, sitting up. Lyra sniffed a few times, wiping away at her tears angrily. Why would god take her mom away? She was her everything and vise versa.

5:45 a.m

She felt it was useless to go back to sleep, after all she was getting up in less then 30 minutes to get ready for school. Lyra wondered how prestigious this new school would be with all the preppy kids she was expecting.

With a sigh, Lyra kicked the blankets off, planting her feet on the cold hard wood floor. She stood up stretching her limbs. Walking over to her window, she drew the curtains back. Far in the distance she could see a trace of the sun rising.

Lyra ran a hand through her hair, heading over to her closet. She pondered on what she would wear, it was a very difficult decision. She wanted to make a good impression but not seem like she was trying way to hard.

"This will have to do," Lyra told herself as she picked out a mint green blouse and black skinny's.

It only took Lyra about 15 minutes to get dressed and throw her hair into a ponytail. When Lyra opened her bedroom door, she peered her head out into the hallway looking both ways. No one was up, which was a good thing. At least for Lyra, it was.

The only sounds in the hall were those of Lyra's footsteps as she made her way to the kitchen. She turned on the light, walking over to the fridge, yanking it open. Lyra examined the contents of the fridge, there was an endless variety. It was overwhelming to her to be honest.

Hesitantly, Lyra grabbed a yogurt cup, shutting the fridge back. She felt weird taking food from the fridge, she lived here now, but she didn't feel welcomed. She felt like she was almost an intruder.

Lyra glanced at the clock as she took a seat on a stool, tearing the yogurt open. She ate it quickly dumping the empty contained in the fridge.

"Lyra?"

Lyra jumped at the call of her name.

"Yes?" Se turned around, timidly starring up at her uncle.

"you're up early," He noted, walking over to the coffee maker.

"I couldn't sleep," Lyra shrugged, leaning against the counter top. Mr. Hartnett smiled at her, fixing his tie. He was dressed for work.

"Excited for school?" He questioned, getting out his coffee mug, and other essentials.

Lyra shook her head playing with her bangles on her left wrist. Mr. Hartnett added the coffee to his cup, along with the sweetener and cream. "Why not?" He glanced at her then back to his coffee.

"Nerves.." She whispered, pushing off the counter top.

Mr. Hartnett nodded his head, taking a sip of his drink. "Well, I'm off to work," He pulled out his wallet, handing her a $20. "For lunch," He told her before giving her an awkward hug and exiting the house.

Once Mr. Hartnett had left the house it didn't take long for the rest of the household to awaken. From upstairs she could hear the frustrated yells of Tori as she had trouble with picking out her outfit for the day. Could she be any more materialistic?

"Morning," Trey walked into the kitchen, lazily might I add. He went straight to the fridge, pulling out the milk. Then he sauntered off to the cupboards grabbing a box of cereal, bowl, and spoon. He sat down eating his breakfast. Lyra watched him for a few minutes before leaving the room.

"Watch where you are going!" Tori seethed as she ran into Lyra.

"Sorry.." Lyra walked around Tori, jogging up to her room, she grabbed her school bag and jacket, making her way back down stairs.

"Ah, Morning Lyra." Mrs. Hartnett greeted with a bit of extra sweetness. Weird.

Gavin was the last to come down to have breakfast. "Gavin, Lyra is riding with you," Mrs. Hartnett told her son, cleaning up after Tori.

"Mom!" Gavin went to protest but shut up as soon as Mrs. Hartnett gave him one of her looks. The "shut up and go with it, no ifs ands or buts."

"Fine." Gavin huffed under his breath angrily, he turned his attention to Lyra. "Are you ready cause I have to pick someone up." He said impatiently.

"Yes." Lyra whispered, following him out the door.

"Have a great day Lyra!" Mrs. Hartnett called out to her. Lyra could hear Tori laugh as she shut the door.

"Mom, they'll eat her alive!" Is the last thing she heard.

"Don't touch anything," Gavin told her when they got in the car, "Don't speak unless spoken too, got it?"

"Whatever." Lyra spoke looking out the window. She watched as the trees raced passed the window, giving her an exhilarated feeling. Gavin pulled into a very long driveway, coming to a screeching halt.

"Stay here."

"Where would I go anyway..." Lyra muttered as she watched Gavin walk up to the front door.

I wonder who lives here? Lyra thought as she watched the door open and out stepped...

Guys I'm a bit rusty, I hope that the chapter was decent enough. Don't worry there will be lots of more things happening in the next one. I just wanted to give you guys a filler chapter. So tell me what you think. Did you like it? Maybe you didn't? Should I continue? What are your thoughts on Lyra? Or perhaps the family? Hahha please don't be afraid to comment and request for something to happen. I'm always open to some ideas.