36

(Unedited)

The next day, Lyra woke up feeling much better. The soup Trey gave her seemed to work pretty well in eliminating the antifreeze that was in her system. Lyra still couldn't believe that her aunt tried to kill her. Had she not learned that trying to kill someone was not going to end well? Lyra sat up in bed, grabbing her phone from her side table. She read all her messages, replying back to all of them.

The last text she had to reply to, was from Calvin. It read, Morning babe, how are you feeling today? Lyra kicked off her covers, texting back. I feel so much better, but today I want to go visit Lucia and Mason...can you take me? Calvin did not reply right away, so Lyra got up from her bed, dragging herself to the nearest bathroom. In the hall, she bumped into her uncle.

He did not look the best, his eyes had bags under them, he wasn't shaving his beard, and he looked like he was losing weight. "You alright there?" Lyra questioned him with a raised brow. Mr. Hartnett waved his hand, passing by Lyra. Lyra stood there watching him jog down the stairs and away from her. "Weird." Lyra mumbled to herself, closing the bathroom door behind her.

After taking a shower and washing her hair, Lyra walked back to her room, her towel wrapped snugly around her. Once all the water was dried from her skin, she applied lotion to all of her body. She didn't want her skin to be dry and itchy. Not liking the breeze in her room, Lyra quickly got dressed in her clothes. She grabbed her phone again to check if Calvin had replied and he did. He told her that he would be fine with taking her to go see Lucia and Mason. Lyra smiled to herself, sitting on her bed to put on her shoe.

"Where are you going?"

Lyra gasped, her heart beating a mile a minute as she turned her head to her door. Tori stood there with her arms crossed. She looked genuinely curious as to where Lyra was going.

"I'm going to see Lucia and Mason." Lyra eyed her younger cousin. They usually avoided each other. Tori nodded her head, slowly uncrossing her arms, walking further into the room.

"Can...can I come with you?" Tori spoke up again, looking at Lyra. Lyra finished zipping up her boots and sat up straight in her bed. She scratched her head, pressing her lips in a thin line as she thought about what to say to the younger the girl.

"Don't you have dance practice or something...plus I don't think your mom would want you to come with me."

Tori let out a sigh, her lips then formed into a small pout as she plopped down on the edge of the bed. Lyra did not want to take her, not because her aunt wouldn't want it, but because Tori did whatever her mother asked of her. How would she know that this was not another one of Talia's attempt to find out more information to help Gavin walk free from his crimes?

"I'll be good, I promise and you won't even know I am there. Besides mom went out and Trey isn't here." Tori all but begged Lyra. Lyra stopped scratching her head and stood up.

"Fine, you can come, but please do not act out or start anything. I'm really not in the mood and I will leave you on the side of the road if you do." Lyra snatched up her sweater, putting it on. Tori smiled as she jumped up, hugging Lyra. Lyra stiffened, watching as her younger cousin buried her face into her stomach. "Uh...okay, we should probably go downstairs." Lyra pried the young girl's arms from around her waist and stalked out of the room. Tori followed behind her cousin, happy that she would not be stuck inside the house.

Calvin leaned against the side of his car, waiting for Lyra to exit the house. When she walked outside of the front door he smiled, pushing off the car. That smile soon went away when he saw Tori, bouncing after Lyra. He raised a brow when the two got closer to him.

"Don't even ask," Lyra leaned forward pecking his lips. Calvin held the door open for her, finding this situation amusing.

"Hey Tori," he greets the young girl. Holding open the back-seat door for her. Tori waves at him as she climbs into the car, putting on her seat belt. Calvin closed the door, standing there for a second to gather his thoughts.

"This is not going to end well," He says to himself with a chuckle before walking to the driver side, getting in. He looked in the back seat, making sure Tori had on her seat belt before he pulled out of the driveway. "Do you know exactly where Lucia is now?" Calvin glances over to Lyra. Lyra nods, telling him the address. "Great, I know where that is." Lyra leaned back I her chair, chewing on her lips.

The drive to Lucia's apartment did not take too long. Tori kept quiet and Lyra was grateful for that. The three got out of the car, Calvin came over to Lyra, wrapping his arms around her waist. He placed a kiss on her head, leading her into the apartment building. Tori followed behind the couple, looking around curiously. She never seen apartment buildings up close, let alone went inside one.

"Is there where the poor people live?" She questions once they got inside the lobby. Lyra opened her mouth to say something, but shut it again. Honestly, she didn't have the energy to correct Tori.

"No, this is where people who do not want to live in big houses and want to save their money lives." He looks behind him, informing Tori on what an apartment is. "Poor people are not the only people to live in apartments. If your parents wanted, they could have moved the family into an apartment. People buy houses when they want a lot of space." Tori nods her head, taking in everything Calvin was telling her.

Lyra rolled her eyes, not because of Tori, but because Tori grew up being raised by a snobby mother. She lacked any true knowledge of the world besides being rich and living large. She needed to be taught about being humble and to appreciate the little things in life.

"What floor is it that Lucia lives on?" Calvin presses the up button the elevator.

"I'm pretty sure it is the 8th floor." Lyra leans more into Calvin's side. The elevator door opened and the three walked inside. Tori pressed the button that said 8. She looked around, smiling when the elevator door closed shut.

"This is so cool," She squeals, feeling the elevator zip up. Lyra looks at Calvin, shooting him a look. He smirks, shrugging his shoulder.

"Maybe she is tired of all the drama and just wants to be a normal kid. Give her a chance." He whispered to her so that Tori couldn't hear her. Lyra frowned, watching Tor. Calvin was right, no matter what Tori had done in the past. She was still a child and her actions couldn't be held against her. She did not know any better. Her mother was a cruel person and raised her children to be that way.

The trio finally reached the floor the need and got off the elevator. Lyra looked at all the doors, looking for the one that she needed. They came to a stop in front of Lucia's door. Lyra raised her hand to knock, but Tori beat her to it. Instead of snapping at her, she simply took a step back and let her do it. Calvin squeezed her hand. He was happy that she was going to give her little cousin a chance. From the other side of the door, they could hear movement, then a few locks being undone. The door opened revealing Lucia.

Lyra smiled, running into Lucia's arms. She was so happy to see her. Hearing all the commotion, Mason ran into the room, a huge smile on his face when he saw who was at the door.

"Lyra!" He shouts, running into her arms. Lyra smiles, lifting him up, placing kisses on his cheek.

"Come in, come in." Lucia told them, stepping to the side to allow them entry.