21

After Lyra walked out of the room, Garrett and Talia came into the room. Garrett looked at the fallen chair and his angered son. "What was all that yelling about?" He asks. Gavin unclenches his fists walking right past his father.

"I told you Garrett! Look at all the problems she is causing in this family. Gavin has never yelled or misbehaved. Now look at him now." Talia grabs her husband's arm. "Send her back, tell the foster care people that she is a handful," Talia pleads with her husband. Garrett sighed running a hand over his face.

"Dad..." Trey speaks up, Garrett turns to look at him. "Lyra didn't do anything. It is not fair to her to send her back..." Trey voices his opinion but looks down at his lap when his mother glares at him.

"What did you say boy?" Talia seethes her attention now on Trey. Trey doesn't say anything. He takes his napkin and puts it on top of his plate as he slowly stands from his seat. "I asked you a question, what did you say?" Talia stomps to Trey grabbing hold of his arm. Her claws cut the surface of his skin. Trey yanked his arm away from his mom.

"Don't touch me." He frowns looking up at her. Trey breaks his gaze from her and rushes off to his room. Talia turns to Garrett.

"Control your kids." She growls before turning and leaving the room as well. Tori snickers as she finishes her food. Garrett was going to say something to her, but decided against it. He grabbed his coat and left the house.

Lyra sat in her bed talking on the phone with Ivy. It had been so long since the two of them had a long conversation. She spent about three hours on the phone with Ivy before she fell asleep. The next day Lyra woke up before everyone and got ready. She made her way down to the kitchen and got herself an apple.

Are we still on for today? -Calvin

Lyra read the text and quickly sent him a reply. As she waited for him to text her back she ate her apple. Lucia walked into the kitchen, smiling when she saw Lyra.

"Oh, You're up early." Lucia gets out a pan to start making some breakfast. Lyra nods throwing out the apple core.

"Yeah I have a few things that I need to do."

Okay, I should be coming to pick you up in about three hours. -Calvin

Lyra got herself a glass of water and went back up to her room. She went on her laptop and quickly logged in. Before she went out with Calvin she needed to do a little more investigating. In the search engine, Lyra searched Talia's name. She looked through all the records that were posted online. There was nothing of relevance to her. Lyra then searched Corey's name.

"Deceased..."She read out to herself. Her brows furrowed in confusion when she read that. How could her uncle not know that his own cousin was dead? Her mom wasn't even close to the family and they were still notified when she died. Lyra clicked on the document and started reading about how he died. "African American male found dead in a ravine from a single gun shot wound to the back of the head. No suspects found, deceased identified to be Corey Hartnett..." Lyra stared at her computer screen. She frowned as she scrolled down the page to a picture of Corey when he was alive. Lyra stood up with her laptop in search of her uncle. She went to his office and knocked on the door.

"Come in," Garrett told her. Lyra pushed opened the door, the strong smell of liquor hit her in the face. Pity party? Lyra thought as she walked over to his desk. "What is it?" He took a sip of his drink.

"Did you know that Corey was murdered?" Lyra set her laptop down on his desk. "Look read this." Garrett sighed closing the laptop. He leaned back in his chair.

"Lyra...didn't your mom teach that somethings are to be left alone?" Lyra frowns at her uncle.

"What are you talking about?" Lyra stared at her uncle confused. "Did you know all along he was dead? Did you do it?" Lyra questions. Garrett laughs shaking his head.

"Of course not. Why would I kill my own blood?"

Lyra lifts up her laptop, "But you don't seem to mind that he is dead. Maybe you had a part in it." Lyra accuses him.

"Lyra please don't go poking your nose in grown up business. I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you. Now please go watch a movie or read a book."
Lyra looks at her uncle in disbelief. She walks out his office shutting the door behind her.