32

Monday came around and Calvin had still not woken up, but Lyra still had hope for him to make a full recovery. Lyra remained in the hospital after she was released. She spent her time visiting Mason for a bit, before spending the rest of the day with Calvin. His mother and sister, would come by periodically to check in on him. Calvin's mother couldn't be in the room for too long before breaking down, so they had decided she would not be in the room for too long.

Tuesday rolled around and still there was no sign of Calvin waking up. However, that did not discourage Lyra. She would read books to him, play music, or simple sit in silence watching him. The only sounds in the room would be his heart monitor beating with each beat his heart made.

Wednesday, Calvin's father came in and told Lyra to go home and get some rest. She hadn't been in school since the incident. Lyra wasn't sleeping at home either. She couldn't be in the same house as her aunt who stood by the actions of her son 100%. Lyra couldn't fathom how her aunt could be so cruel. Ivy's parents were kind enough to let her stay over their house. They understood what was going on and sympathized with her greatly.

Thursday, Lyra had to go back to school. She hated it. Everyone pitied her and would constantly come up to her apologizing for what happened. They all told her they would pray for Calvin to wake up. She didn't want to hear that. Especially from the kids who were once friends with her cousin and ditched Calvin.

Friday after school, Lyra went to the hospital. Calvin's parents were already in the room, his mother was sobbing into his father's chest. Lyra hesitantly walked into the room. Paige sat at the edge of the bed, looking at her brother.

"Is everything alright?" Lyra spoke up, setting her school bag on one of the recliners.

"Oh Lyra!" Renee, hugged Lyra tightly, "He's not showing any signs of waking up. They want us to make the decision to pull the plug." Renee cried. Lyra pulled away from her.

"You're not going to are you?" Lyra frowns, "He still has time, he needs more time. You can't end it yet," Lyra pleads with them.

"I can't watch him suffer anymore Lyra. My poor baby boy," Renee rushes to Calvin resting her head on his chest. "We have to let him go Lyra, he isn't living." Renee strokes Calvin's cheek.

"Renee come, let us give Lyra a chance to say goodbye to him," John lead his wife and daughter out of the room.  Lyra watched them go. Slowly she walked to Calvin's bed. She sat on the edge and just stared at him. She didn't know she was crying until she felt the drops fall onto her hands.

"I was being selfish when I asked you not to leave..." Lyra began, her voice cracking as her emotions started to get the best of her. "I-I just couldn't see a future without you in it." She stroked the back of his hand, bringing it to her cheeks. "There is so much we didn't get to do and I guess i'm just bitter about it. I knew you would be the one I would be with. I wanted more time with you, b-but i guess i'm grateful for the little time I did have with you." Lyra wiped her nose with her sleeve as she stared at his heart monitor. "It's just not fair. He gets to sit in a prison room and you...you simply just stop existing..." Lyra leaned forward towards his face. "I just wish I could hear your voice just one last time before you go." Lyra stoked his hair back, placing a kiss on his cheeks then his lips, lingering a little longer before pulling away. "It's okay if you don't want to stay. I understand if it is too much for you. Your parents, sister, and I will accept it. We're setting you free Calvin." Lyra smiles slightly, wiping her eyes. "Just one thing, say hi to my mom for me. I'm sure she'll be happy to meet you,"

Lyra walked to the door, letting his parents know that she was done with her goodbyes. Paige and Lyra held on to each other as the doctor and a nurse came into the room. One by one each of the machines were turned off. The rise and fall of Calvin's chest gradually reduced until it stopped completely.

"Can you sign these forms and also if you want to have him be an organ donor you can fill out these forms right here," the doctor tells Calvin's parents. Lyra drowned out what was being talked about and just stared at Calvin's body. This was real, he was really gone. They would never be together again. She would never hear him laugh, she would never see him smile, or hear him talk. He would never be able to hold her again. He was gone.

"He's still breathing," The nurse alerts the doctor. Everyone froze, watching as the doctor checked Calvin's pulse, his brows furrowed together.

"This one is a fighter," he chuckles, shaking his head as he listened for Calvin's heartbeat with a stethoscope. "He has a strong heart beat. Calvin, buddy if you can hear me, squeeze this pen." The doctor placed the pen in the palm of Calvin's hand. Lyra watched them intently, a smile forming when she saw Calvin's hand twitch. Everyone was motionless as they watched Calvin slowly open his eyes.