39

Note: I feel so bad that I haven't been updating that instead of studying for my organic evolution exam, I'm writing this. I literally sat on a bench in the science building of my school and wrote this. So, sorry if it is a little short, but it is filled with a lot of tea.  I hope you enjoy.

Lyra had no idea who this Emerald girl was, or what she had to do with Gavin's case. Curious, she glanced over to Mr. and Mrs. Hartnett, Talia looked like her head was going to come off.

"Would you please explain to us, what your relationship with the Hartnett family is?" The prosecutor advised her.  Emerald licks her lips as she sits up a little straighter in her chair.

"Yes, I am the girlfriend of their son." Emerald glances over to Gavin's side of the court room. Lyra chews on her lips as she listens intently to everything that was being said. There was no way this lady could be in a relationship with Gavin. No way at all. How could anyone miss something like that?

"You are in a relationship with the defendant?" The prosecutor smiles gently as he scans over the jury. He knew the witness had them hooked and was excited to reveal facts that would surely bury the defense.

Emerald shook her head, her hair bouncing as she did this. She leaned forward in her seat, resting her hands flat on the podium. "No, Their eldest son Devon." At this revelation there were a few gasps in the courtroom. No one had known of an elder son until this moment.

"Ah, and where is Devon at this moment?"

Emerald frowned as she thought about where Devon was. "He is in a rehabilitation center. His parents sent him there when he was 17. He had no choice but to go because he was still technically a minor and he was being charged with possession of drugs. Devon was not the type of person to take drugs, he was innocent. Gavin was the one who had the drugs. Devon wanted to expose the family. His parents decided sending him away would hide what was going on in the house. Not a lot of people even knew that they had a son older than Gavin." Emerald stops speaking to take a breath. She still had plenty more to say.

Lyra squeezed Calvin's hand and leaned closer to him. "Did you know about this?" She whispers to him. Calvin looks down at her and shook his head. He was telling the truth, however, growing up he did faintly remember seeing an older boy at the house when he went over. He just assumed it was a cousin or something.

"I think I did see him maybe once or twice, I did not know it was their brother or anything."

"It is safe to assume that Gavin was a problem child?" The prosecutor questions.

"Very much so, it is not the first time Gavin has got in trouble with the law and his parents covered it up for him. You see with Mr. Hartnett being in the criminal force, they can easily alter evidence to point somewhere else.  Gavin's troubles all started when it was revealed that Mr. Hartnett was not Gavin's father. Mrs. Hartnett was having an affair with Mr. Hartnett's relative a year before Gavin was born. For 16 years Gavin was led to believe that Mr. Hartnett was his father, at the time, Mr. Hartnett was still having an affair with Mr. Hartnett's relative, Gavin found out and now Mr. Hartnett's relative is dead." Emerald shrugs her shoulder, "It does make sense that Gavin would kill this young girl he is accused of killing. She probably knew something or did something he did not like and her death was the result of it."

Lyra's eyes widened as she processed everything that was said. Could it be possible that this Devon person wrote the letter that Lyra had found in her uncle's office all those months ago? That would make everything add up because for the timeline of the letter, Trey would have been way too young to write it and Gavin did not look like the type to try to cover for his dad when it came to his mom.

"Nothing further,"

Gavin's defense lawyer stood up, smoothing out his tux before he approached Emerald.

"You say that Gavin was a troubled child? Do you have any proof that he did anything that you claimed he did?"

Emerald opened her mouth, but shut it again. She wanted to think before she blurted just anything out. "When Gavin was 13 he would burn birds alive in the yard of his house. His parents can verify that, they were the ones who sent him away to get help." Emerald stared at the lawyer, waiting for him to fire more questions at her.

"I understand all of that miss, but where were you when all of this happened?"

Emerald rolled her eyes, "I obviously did not live in the house, but i did visit there a lot growing up and Gavin is troubled. He is not as innocent as you are trying to make him appear. Everyone in this courtroom knows he is guilty of his crime. There is nothing to prove." Emerald snapped, she was tired of the drama that this family brought everywhere they went.  They were selfish and would get rid of anything or anyone that threatened to mess  up the picture perfect life they are trying to portray to the community.