40

Happy Fourth of July!

The trial did not seem to be going in favor of Gavin. The evidence used in the case just buried Gavin even further in the crime he committed. Emerald being on stand was the cherry on top of the cake for the prosecution. Her testimony was just what he needed to prove that Gavin was a menace to society. He should be locked away, never to see day light ever again.

It was next day of the trial, Calvin would be the one to take the stand. The prosecutor had requested that Lyra testify as well, but she refused. She wanted to somewhat distant herself from the case. Yes, she would go to all the hearings, but she would not be going out of her way to be front and center.

"You'll do great," Lyra cups Calvin's face. He was ready to go up and testify. Lyra knew that even though he was ready to get everything over and done with, he was really nervous. She could see it when he flicked his eyes to the door, anticipating the officer to come out and tell him that they were ready for him.

"I just hope that I don't mess up anything," Calvin mumbles, staring at his hands.

"You won't mess anything up, all you have to do is tell the truth about the day he shot you." Lyra reminded him. She removed her hands from his face, and grabbed both of his hands in hers. "You're extremely brave and I am so proud of you," Lyra tells him just before she stretches to peck his lips.

"That means a lot to me..." Calvin sighs as he heard the door to the court room open. The couple both turned to look at the officer, motioning for Calvin to enter the room.

"Be calm," Lyra reminded as she planted one more kiss on hips lips, then took a step back to watch him walk to the officer. Lyra ran a hand through her hair, frowning when Calvin disappeared into the room. She took a deep breath herself and quickly made her way into the court room. When she took her seat next to Ivy, Calvin had just reached the front of the court.

Once Calvin was seated and comfortable, he was sworn in and asked to restate his name.

"Welcome Mr. Doherty, I'm going to be asking you a few questions. All you have to do is answer them truthfully." The prosecutor began as he started to walk closer to where Calvin was seated. Calvin licks his lips, nodding his head once. "For the record can you just remind us what your relationship is with the defendant."

Calvin cleared his throat, "Yes, I was once Gavin's best friend. We went to the same school since primary school." Calvin glanced over to Gavin. Gavin stared straight ahead of him. He did not seem to be all there. It was like the trial was not happening.

"Best friends? Yet you say it in past content. What diminished your friendship with the defendant?"

Calvin toyed with his hands for a bit before he answered. "Gavin's cousin was coming to stay with his family. For some reason, he disliked her before she even moved into the house. He told everyone at school to do whatever they could to torment her. It was his attempt to make his cousin leave the school and his house. However, his plans didn't work. A lot of kids, myself included decided to leave his cousin alone and he did not take that well. After I broke up with my girlfriend at the time, Lauren. He teamed up with her to torment his cousin and sometimes me. Gavin is not a good person. If he does not get his way, he throws tantrums to ensure that he gets his way. His mother enables him to do these things. She babies him into thinking that the world revolves around him. I wouldn't be surprised if she supplied him with a gun."

"Objection your honor, he is speculating," Gavin's lawyer rose from his seat.

"overruled, you may continue." The judge looked to Calvin.

"Calvin, do you remember the day you were shot?"

"Yes."

"Is the person who shot you in this room?"

Calvin nods his head yes.

"Can you point to that person?"

Calvin turned his head to where Gavin was sitting. "It was Gavin Hartnett." Calvin pointed to his ex-friend.

"Do you know why he shot you?"

"No, I can only assume it was jealousy."

"Was this the first time you were ever in an altercation with the defendant?"

"Gavin broke my arm, months prior to the shooting. I was removed from our football team. Gavin was able to take over while I was on leave. Once I got better and was able to come back to the team, Gavin seemed to get more aggressive. It also did not help the fact that I started to date his cousin. The same cousin he did not like." Calvin explained to everyone in the courtroom.

"Thank you, no further questions."

Lyra scanned over the courtroom, curious as to how this would all end. Would Gavin be found guilty? Would he be sentenced to life in prison?

Gavin's lawyer got up, ready to cross-examine Calvin.

"Mr. Doherty, I am deeply sorry for your accident," he began making his way to the middle of the room. Calvin frowned, Gavin shooting him was no accident. He almost lost his life. "Now you say Gavin is the one who shot you. Are you sure it was Gavin?"

"Yes. I am positive it was Gavin. I had my back to him, and when he approached me I turned around to try to reason with him. When he wasn't getting his way, he pulled out a gun and shot me. That was not an accident."

"Yes, but you had your back turned?"

"Yes."

"So, could it be possible that it was not Gavin who shot you but someone else?"

"What? No. It was Gavin. He was pointing the gun at me! He was standing right in front of me when he pulled the trigger. I know what I saw as did the many witnesses there."

"Objection! He is trying to alter my witness's answers."

"Sustained, move on."

"You say Gavin join forces with your ex-girlfriend to torment his cousin?"

"Correct."

"Then what makes you think he killed Lauren Oslen?"

"I did not accuse him of killing her, the detective did a thorough investigation and found what they needed to charge Gavin with the crime. What does this have to do with me?" Calvin frowned. He was getting annoyed with all the questions he was getting asked. The questions had no correlation to the case. If Gavin wasn't guilty just because of evidence, his lawyer would surely lose the case for him.

Calvin went back and forth with Gavin's lawyer for another five minutes before the prosecutor interjected, requesting that the judge end the cross-examination because Calvin looked about ready to burst from all the anger he was harboring.

"We will be in recess for ten minutes before both sides are asked to give their closing arguments. Thank you." The judge banged on the podium twice.

"All rise." Everyone in the courtroom stood up, watching the judge exit the courtroom. After the judge was removed, the jury was also escorted out. 

Once they were out of sight, two officers came to remove Gavin from the courtroom.