Darcy's POV.

Darcy's POV.

I snarl, latching my jaw around the filthy rogues neck and crushing its windpipe. It's blood tastes like dirty copper in my mouth, but I brush it off. That's not important.

Ariana is.

I need to get to her. I need to know she's safe.

The thought of her is all it takes to get me running through the forest again, jumping over fallen trees and ducking under thick branches. After about a few seconds I can see her in my line of view, her petite self leaning heavily on one side of her body. Two of the rogues are closing in on her. My heartbeat speeds up. Why isn't she doing anything? Why isn't she protecting herself?

"ARIANA!" I call out, switching into my human form. I pump my arms, trying to gain as much speed as possible.

I'm so close. I need to get to her I need to get to her I need to get to her.

My mates head snaps toward me, eyes lighting up with what looks like a spark of happiness as she spots me. "No! No! Protect yourself!" I cry out. The rogues are in arms distance of her, that's too close. They're too close to her.

Her head quirks to the side like she's confused about what I'm saying.

She's too late.

One the rogues strikes its paw out, running its claws along Ariana's neck. My vision blurs. Everything looks tinted in red. My canines are sharp in my mouth, aching to sink into flesh. I leap and shift mid-air, landing right in front of both of them with my eyes blazing. They both back away slowly, whimpers escaping their pathetic mouths now that they realize they just injured an Alpha's mate. They don't make it even three steps backwards before I lunge at them with every intention to rip their throats out. They deserve death. They deserve pain. I was too angry to be stopped.

I shift back and turn toward my mate.

My throat closes at the sight of her. She's shifted into her human form laying on the forest floor stark naked. Her left leg's flesh is torn to shreds.

Blood is seeping from her neck.

"No no no." I chant this repeatedly like it will change the outcome, like it will heal Ariana. I drop to my knees, pulling her head into my lap. "Please, please." My salted tears roll down my cheeks and drip onto her forehead. I'm not dumb and I never have been, I wouldn't trick myself - Ariana will not survive this.

My soul mate will not live through this.

At first I don't hear her voice because its so soft, but after she repeats herself a few time I can make out her words. "Don't.. don't cry." She chokes out. Her breaths are wet and ragged. It's blatantly obvious it takes a large amount of effort for her to breath.

My heart breaks in two.

I want to scream and cry and freak out but I can't, I can't because Ariana is still alive and these will be my last moments with her. I have to make them count.

It'd be selfish of me not to.

"I love you, Ariana. I will find my way back to you." My thumb softly brushes across her forehead as I cradle her head in my hands, whispering sweet nothing's to her.

"Prom..promise?" She whispers, a small smile on her face. Blood stains her otherwise white teeth. I swallow the lump in my throat.

"I promise." I lean down to kiss her soft lips. I can't help but remind myself this will be the last time I kiss her.

Tears threaten to spill over my cheeks.

"I love you too, but I'm kind of sleepy.." She trails off. Her eyes start to droop and I know it's time. She's slipping away from me.

I don't stop the tears this time.

"I love you too. G-go to sleep, princess." I whisper into her hair, sobs racking my body. I force myself to watch her chest rise and fall until it doesn't anymore. Her breathing stops. She was gone. Ariana is gone. She is dead. She is not coming back to me.

I would never see her smile again. I would never hear her laugh again. I would never be able to sneak sly glances at her anymore because it was just so hard not to. I would never watch her with adoration when she scrunches her face up in thought.

She really was gone.

I lean down to place a kiss on her forehead before taking her head out of my lap.

I had failed her as a mate. I had let her get killed by rogues.

I let out a loud cry, driving my fist into the nearest tree. I yell, scream and repeatedly drive my fist into the oak until my knuckles are cracked and bleeding and the tree is threatening to snap in half. It was all my fault. If I hadn't gone on this stupid trip to get Hannah Ariana would never had died.

Hannah..

The wheels started turning in my brain. I planned this road trip to California ahead of time to find and kill Hannah. I had ordered a few of my pack members to dig up dirt on her, but they found nothing. That's why I ended up in my office so much. I was doing as much as I could to find out who she was and I did just that.

A witch.

Hannah was a witch, through and through. The kind with magical powers and everything. That was how she got Ariana mad at me - I was under her control, obviously against my will. Would her magic be able to bring my mate back?

The hole in my heart starts to stitch itself up, the feeling of nausea leaving the pit of my stomach. For now, at least. Hannah had magic. I can take Ariana to Hannah. She could bring Ariana back to me.

I would make sure she would.

---

Yo yo yo sorry for the sad chapters babies :(

I CRIED WRITING IT OK UGH IM UNSTABLE.

I LITERALLY FORGOT ABOUT MY CHAPTER THAT'S WHY THE UPDATE IS LATE SORRY BABES.

I love you all ok we'll get through this chapter together group hug 3334&4@4

-Mother Slanda x