The Beginning

You were a Reaper. It wasn't as mysterious or interesting as it sounded. Your life was spent following your fathers orders, taking poor unfortunate souls and helping them move on to the afterlife.

You had seen everything, Just as much as the Angels had. But while they stood watch, and guard over God's creations, you stood and waited for them to die, much like a vulture watched over its prey. You watched as the humans grew and developed. Only dealing with them when you had to, when Death issued the order and you had to swoop down and guide them onto their next chapter in life.

It was a dull, lonely existence. Who would want to be friend a Reaper, a person who brought death with them wherever they went? Of course there were the other reapers, many of whom were older than you, and full of themselves. You were one of the last reapers Death had created, and you were looked down upon by many. Especially since Death seemed to favor you more so than others, giving you easier tasks, leaving the evil and dark souls to those of his more seasoned children.

The only Reaper who would even talk to you was Tessa, but she was seldom around. Many considered her Death's right hand, his second in command. When she wasn't too busy, she would call you to her, and the two of you would catch up, sometimes hundreds of years worth of catching up. She was nice, and acted like a friend, but she wasn't around much.

At one point in your life, you had decided to interact with humans, to try to find something else in life beside death. It was during what they now call medieval times, and you disguised yourself as a human, traveling to the nearby castle, and introducing yourself as a healer.

At first, it was wonderful. You had felt alive for the first time in your life, meeting people who actually cared about you, something that was so foreign to you. Reapers didn't feel, at least most didn't, but you felt some emotions, emotions such as sadness, and caring.

Love, you were jealous of the word love and all it meant. As a Reaper, you weren't allowed to feel love. You even remember Death specifically telling you that Reapers were incapable of the fascinating emotion. You watched as the people in the castle around you fell in and out love, acting crazy and angry, and it was glorious to behold.

Sadly, it all came to an end, when the plague swept through the castle, and your new found friends were dying and there was nothing you could do to help them. In the end, Death called on you, and you were able to say goodbye one last time to their souls before sending them on. But as they saw your true form, they turned away from you, disgusted, calling you names while you tried to comfort and console them.

It was heart wrenching, at least it would have been, but you had been told you didn't have a heart. It was then you promised yourself, no more. No more trying to fit in, be something you were not, trying to feel emotions that were impossible.

You went back to your duties, letting them swallow you whole, and as the years passed, you grew indifferent to humans once again, watching with a bored eye as they killed themselves over things such as love, and lost honor.

You grew bored, following your duties without complaint, until one day you heard of a pair of brothers that defied the odds, and Death. Death wasn't meant to be defied, and you grew curious, wondering what made these two humans so powerful that they could out maneuver the oldest entity in existence.

Your curiosity got the better of you, and the first time you weren't busy with your duties, you made your way to find them, and figure out what was so special. They were young, still probably in their twenties, and you could tell they were hunters. You had heard of hunters, they had been around as long as humans, killing monsters, saving humans. Even though not much killed a reaper, you had stayed away, not trusting them.

These two were different, and as soon as you laid eyes on them you were hooked. Something kept drawing you back to them. You found yourself following them, staying invisible, but keeping an eye on them at all times. You learned everything you could about them, their names, how old they were, what happened to their families. Nothing was too trivial, everything about them fascinated you. The older one, Dean, had dark sandy blonde hair that was spiked in the front, and the most intense pair of green eyes you had ever seen. He walked with an air of authority, and self awareness, and you found yourself wondering what went on through that head of his.

It was the other brother, Sam, whom you found yourself more drawn to. He might be the younger of the two brothers, but he was taller, with a long, lanky build. His hair was shaggy, his mahogany brown bangs hanging over his hazel eyes. He had a hint of sadness to him, and you knew he had recently lost both his dad and his girlfriend by supernatural means.

You enjoyed following them, at times wondering if you should make yourself known, so you could actually interact with them. But then you remembered, the pain, all those years ago, and you remained hidden, always watching.

You watched as they killed the demon Azazel, and tried to find a way to save Dean. When the hell hounds ripped him to sheds, you were there, tears falling down your face as you felt sadness for one of the few times in your life. Death had called on a different reaper that day, one that had to deliver Dean's soul into hell, and you were glad. It would have been a hard job, even though Dean didn't know who you were.

You followed Sam around, then both when Dean came back, your logical mind knowing Ruby was trouble even before she used him to break the seals and bring Lucifer back. You almost broke then, wanting to stop him before it happened, but you couldn't bring yourself to it.

During the next year, you were busy, so busy due to Lucifer being back that you hardly saw Sam or Dean. When you finally did see them, you found out that Sam was Lucifer's true vessel. You weren't surprised, there was something old, and ancient running through their bloodlines, your Reaper intuition could feel it.

You waited, to see what would happen, but you were called away. Landing in a small town called Carthage, you were surprised to see many of your fellow Reapers there, each one still as a statue as they waited. It was then you felt it, an electric current coursing through you, and it could only mean one thing. Lucifer was bringing back Death.