Dreams Upon Dreams

Feeling the shift of the bed beneath you, you mumbled in your sleep, snuggling deeper into the warmth below you. A faint chuckling was heard, as the bed moved again, and your eyes popped open to see a smiling Sam staring down at you. "Sam?" You questioned, trying to remember where you were, and what was going on.

"Hey sleepyhead." He said, as he brushed back a lock of hair that had fallen in his face. "Thought you were planning on sleeping the day away."

"Where are we?" You muttered, but it was all starting to come back to you. The hunt, the confusion, and waking up here. "Wait, this isn't real." You said, and Sam frowned.

"Of course it's real. Do you think you're still asleep?" He asked you, rubbing his thumb gently along your cheek, and you leaned into the movement. "Listen, why don't you stay here, I'll go make us some lunch."

You watched as he walked away, his sweat pants hanging dangerously low on his narrow hips. He caught you staring at him, flashing you a smile before exiting the room. Once you were alone, your thoughts turned sour. This Sam was sweet, with hope and life still in his eyes. You could instantly tell that he hadn't been pulled from a burning house when he was a baby. That he hadn't grown up traveling across the country, killing monsters. And you wanted to stay, to get to know this man better. But you also knew this wasn't the place for you. Even though your powers were drained, and Sam was long gone, you knew you couldn't stay in this dream land forever.

It was the djinn who created this dream for you. You understood that now. You remembered hunting it, and the tattooed monster grabbing your leg. It was all coming back, and the thought that you couldn't stay here with Sam was killing you. If you stayed, you would die. If you went back, you might die too. But at least that would be real. All of this was a pretense, and no matter how amazing it was, it wasn't right.

"Wow, Y/N, what's wrong?" Sam asked, dropping the tray full of sandwiches and fruit on the edge of the bed, before sliding in next to you, pulling you once again into his arms. "Why are you crying?"

You reached up, touching the wetness on your cheek. You hadn't even realized you had been crying, not until he said something. "I wish this was real. That you were with me again." You cried into his chest.

"What are you talking about? This is real." He tried to assure you, his large hand holding you tight to his chest, where you could smell his unique scent. And it wasn't the scent you were used to. This Sam smelled of Old Spice, something clean and normal. Your Sam had been a mixture of Gun Powder, musk, and old books. 

"No, it's not. It's the djinn. And while I want to stay, while it felt so nice to be with you again, it's not right. You're not the Sam I fell in love with." You said, but as you tried to describe why this wasn't real, you felt a weird sensation deep down in your soul. It was hard to explain, but it was like your soul had been detached from your body, and now someone was trying to put the two of them back together again. It was uncomfortable, and this dream Sam noticed your discomfort. 

"Djinn? What are you talking about? Y/N, you're scaring me." He said, tilting your face up so he could stare into your eyes. His own hazel eyes were full of worry and concern, shimmering with unshed tears for you.

Closing your eyes, you went to take a deep breath, when you saw it. It was the same pair of eyes that were staring down at you, but these were still different somehow. There was a darkness, a sense of loss, but also a sense of righteousness that wasn't in dream Sam's eyes. You could see him staring down at you, oddly detached, but trying to gain your attention. "Y/N, wake up now." He kept saying it over and over again.

Opening your eyes, you gave dream Sam a soft, and sad smile. "I think it's time for me to go." You told him, grabbing the knife that laid next to the apple. 

"Y/N, no!" He argued. "Why do you want to go back there? Sam's gone, your powers are gone. There's nothing left for you there. Why not stay with me. We can be happy."

"I'm sorry. But it doesn't feel right." You told him, before raising the knife and bringing it down.

Gasping for air, you opened your eyes, glancing frantically around. You were no longer in the beautiful blue room, with the happy pictures of you and Sam. You were back in the warehouse, the room dark and gloomy, with cobwebs in the corners, and trash all throughout the floor. You took stock of your body, feeling how dehydrated and weak you were. You were hanging by your hands, and you had long lost feeling in them.

You could hear fighting and thrashing in the distance, and you tried to turn your head to see what was going on, but it just lulled against your neck, too tired to even follow your simple commands. You could feel a needle stuck in your skin, and the rough rope against your skin, but your feet just tingled, and your elbows and shoulders felt as if they were being ripped out of their sockets.

A loud crash sounded next to you as your eyes threatened to close again, before a sickening thud, and the gasping of a dying man. Seconds later, hands were on your cheeks, gently patting them until your eyes opened once again. But instead of the hazel eyes you had wished to see, you saw a pair of emerald green ones, full of worry. "There she is." His deep voice sounded, and he raised his knife, sawing against the ropes holding you up. "Hold in there, I'll get you down."

You could feel the rope being sawed away, and your weight was the final thing that snapped it, Dean's strong arms holding you tight to his chest as he gently laid you on the ground. "Over here!" He yelled, and two sets of footsteps vibrated on the floor. 

"You had us worried." Bobby said as his grizzled face came into view, a relieved grin on his face. You weakly smiled, but inside you had wished, just for a moment, that those eyes you had seen when you had closed your eyes were there, and real. But you knew that couldn't happen. That Sam was in the cage, locked up with Lucifer.

"Hey Y/N." Rang out another voice, one that shocked you to your core, and you tilted your head just enough so you could see the long, lanky body, and the shaggy mahogany hair that kept falling into a familiar pair of hazel green eyes.

"Sam?" You asked, wondering if the djinn was really that mean, and you were still trapped in another sort of dream.