New Friends

That night, if it was night, you weren't sure if the sky would ever change from the dark teal blue you were currently staring at. But that night you found a small hollow in a tree, big enough for you if you crouched down, hugging your knees to your chest. Rocking back and forth, you watched as shadows crept by your, their eyes glowing strange colors in the night sky as they howled or screeched. Often times you would hear the agonizing cries of a monster that was taken down. Making you wonder where Monsters went when they died in Purgatory. Were they reborn in Purgatory, meant to live a hellish life over and over? Or is there a void for Monsters, where they know no more?

As you pondered these things, you wished for any sort of weapon. While those monsters out there had sharp teeth and claws, you had nothing. Not even a knife hiding in your pocket to protect you. It was a scary thought, knowing you were defenseless in a weird, hopeless land.

Reapers didn't need sleep, and for once you were grateful for that fact. That way your guard wouldn't be lowered, and you could make sure that nothing overtook you in the night. By the time an orange morning light filled the small clearing in front of you, your nerves were frazzled, your hands shaky, making a weapon the first thing on your mind. Checking to make sure the coast was clear, you began searching through the bushes along the forest floor, looking for anything that would help defend yourself. 

Coming upon the remains of some poor monster, you picked up a couple of the bones, thinking they would be your best bet. Taking a vine, you wrapped it tightly around them, making some sort of knife that you held tight in your hand as you figured out your next step. While all the time wishing that Sam was there to help you. Even though you wouldn't wish a trip to Purgatory on Sam, it would be nice to have his support, and his brains.

A tear slipped down your cheek, and you hastily wiped it away. Crying at what could be wouldn't get you anywhere. You were gone, and Sam was still topside, no doubt missing you but trying to move on with his life. And that's what you needed to do to. Purgatory was your home now, and you needed to make the most out of it. And making the most out of it meant surviving without becoming a Monster's breakfast.

Trudging through the thick brush, you couldn't believe how quiet it was, as if most of the other inhabitants were asleep, leaving you out there on your own. Step by step, you started to feel a little safer, a little more relaxed that maybe you could become used to your new surroundings before you would have to fight anyone. 

In the silence of the forest you could just make out the sounds of water rushing. Making your way towards the welcoming sound, you tensed when you heard footsteps behind you, but it was too late. A pair of arms reached out, wrapping around your shoulders, throwing you back until your back connected with the forest floor. Two Monsters with gleaming sharp teeth stared down at you, licking their lips in anticipation. "What are you?" They hissed, as the female knelt down on top of you, her knees pinning your arms to the ground.

"A reaper." You answered back, fighting against her hold, but she was too strong, and your makeshift weapon fell to the ground beside you. 

"Reaper? I didn't think Reaper's ever died. They did the reapin." She said, sniffing your neck. "But you smell like a human. Maybe you'll be better to eat than all these others around us."

"I'm not going to be breakfast for a pair of werewolves." You answered bravely, even though at the moment you felt anything but brave. Especially since the girl werewolf had quite the hold on you, and your weapon wasn't made of silver. 

"Oh honey, I actually feel a little sorry for you." She said, licking the side of your neck, grossing you out. "But you taste so good!"

As her mouth opened and you saw her fangs, you closed your eyes, knowing this was it. You were going to become food for a pair of werewolves. Never finding a way out of Purgatory. You felt embarrassed actually. As a Reaper you had lived centuries, and you couldn't even survive one day in Purgatory. Maybe you would be better off being werewolf meat, then living the pathetic life you seemed to be living. As you waited for the pain, Sam's hazel eyes flashed in your memory, and you kept a hold on it, wanting him to be the last thing you would see. 

"Step away from her." A deep southern voice drawled, and you peeked your eyes open to see a handsome man standing at the far side of the small clearing, another homemade weapon in his hands. He was bloody and dirty, but had a smile on his face and a twinkle to his blue eyes. His black coat was tattered, and his clothes reminded you of those you had seen in the 1800's. It was the fangs in his mouth that had you reconsidering his help. Maybe the vampire was fighting the werewolves so he could have you for himself.

"Back off fang boy." The male werewolf snarled. "We found her first. She is ours."

"How about I just head over there while the three of you talk this out?" You suggested, trying to move away from the woman holding you down, but she turned and snarled out you, her face feral. 

Before you could make another move, the vampire was striding over, swinging his wicked looking weapon at the male werewolf who had nothing but his claws and fangs to protect him. You lost track of their fighting as they moved around, while the woman held you down, watching the fight with interest. When you heard a yip, you tilted your head back, watching as the Vampire pulled the werewolf's heart from his chest, dropping it to the ground before stomping on it.

"Nathaniel!" The lady screamed, reaching down and grasping your head she smacked it down on the ground where it connected with a rock. On the verge of passing out, you felt her weight lift off of you, before she ran towards the vampire, screaming the entire time. It was over in a flash, she was no match for the vampire.

You knew that now was your chance. The Vampire was licking the blood off of his hand, and both werewolves were dead. If you were going to live and leave, this was your only opportunity. But your body refused to follow your mind's orders, and you lay there, your head pounding. 

Footsteps came closer to your head, and you closed your eyes, waiting for the vampire to finish you off. "Please. Make it quick." You whispered.

"Make what quick?" He asked in a southern accent. "Ma'am, I'm not going to eat you. Reaper's blood tastes horrible to Vampires. A thank you would be appreciated though."

Reaching down, he grasped your hand, pulling you up into a sitting position. Sitting down next to you, he smiled over at you. "How did a Reaper make it to Purgatory anyways? I've been around for a long time, and you're the first one I've ever seen."

"Got killed by a dragon." You answered. "And thank you for saving me."

"The name's Benny." He said, holding his hand out. "Maybe we can work together, save each other's hides."