Death's Back

After you had agreed to stay with them, Sam and Dean had left you alone, retreating to their room, giving you the space and privacy you had requested. With them gone, you settled onto the bed, trying to relax. It was hard, with the gentle buzzing of the electronics, the sounds of the boys moving about in the room next to yours. You were used to the silence of Purgatory. It had been quiet, even with monsters moving about. There had been no wind, no wild animals to brake the silence. Here, there was sound even in silence, and you still felt on edge.

The bed was too soft, something you were no longer used to, the light extremely bright. Shutting it off, you sat down on the floor, wondering how long it would take you to get used to the normal things once again. How long before you would forgive yourself for leaving Benny behind. He had been a nice monster, and you hated that you hadn't helped him more than you did. 

As you closed your eyes, you could hear arguing coming from the other room, before the door slammed shut, and footsteps passed your room. Standing up, you peeked out the window, watching as Sam strode away. Wondering if you should head over to Dean, to check on them, you decided not to. You needed your space, so much had happened in the last 24 hours. Sam and Dean had to figure things out on their own, without you stepping in. 

"Y/N." Your name sounded from the back of the room. Letting the curtain drop, you turned in your spot, surprised to see Death standing in the back of your darkened room. "It's good to see you."

"Are you sure? Because if it was maybe you could have gotten me out of Purgatory a long time ago." You sassed back, surprised at your attitude towards the man who had once been such an important figure in your life. But now, with everything that had happened, you were tired of being yanked one way or the other, never knowing if he was just using you or if he actually cared for you.

"Y/N, sit." He ordered, and you could do nothing but comply. "I am sorry that you were in Purgatory. But there was nothing I could do to save you, even though I wish I could have." 

"You're Death. You can't tell me that you couldn't have gone to Purgatory, and pulled me out." You argued.

Sitting down on the chair, acting as if it was his own personal throne, he wrapped both of his hands around his ivory headed cane. "You've got me. I could have pulled you out, and actually went down there once to do so. But I saw the way it was changing you, turning you into something different, something stronger. I decided that it was good for you, and I stayed back, always watching, ready to step in if I needed to. But you never needed me. You became something powerful, better than any of my other Reapers."

"So what? Now you want me to become your top Reaper? To do whatever you want?" You asked him, knowing that you didn't want to go back to that life style. You liked where you had been before you left. Hunting things, making the world a better place so Reapers didn't have so many souls to Reap. Even if you were shying away from a relationship with Sam, you still wanted as much of that life back as possible. 

"Yes. You are more powerful than even Tessa, and she is my number one. I want you by my side, forever." He answered, and you quickly wracked your brain, knowing this was not what you wanted. 

"Give me a minute." You answered, and he nodded. Heading into the bathroom, you pulled out a knife, slicing your hand open. Working quickly, you used an ancient spell, creating a vague symbol on the wall near the door. "Okay, I've thought about it, and what happens if I say no?"

"You still come with me. On your own terms, or as my pressured guest." He stated, exactly as you knew he would. 

"No." You told him, acting braver than you felt. "I'm sorry, but I can't go back to that." Pressing your hand to the wall, you spoke in Latin, and with a cloud of red smoke, Death vanished.

Rushing around the room, you grabbed the meager belongings you had, before heading straight for the room you knew they were in. Knocking on it, you waited impatiently for Dean to answer, not sure if Sam had made it back yet. "I'm coming!" Dean yelled, and you heard his booted footsteps as he strode over to the door. 

As soon as he pulled it open, you were rushing through, relieved to see they hadn't even brought their stuff into their room yet. "We need to go. Now." You ordered. "Please?"

"Whoa, calm down. What happened in the ten minutes you were alone?" He asked you, trying to place his hand on your shoulder, but you stepped back, still not used to friendly gestures. In Purgatory if a hand was coming your way it meant it was trying to kill you. 

"Death came. He wants me to go back to work for him. Says I'm even more powerful than I was before, but I told him no and banished him. He might come back, mad. So we need to leave."

"Okay. I'll text Sam, and we can meet up with him, and move on out." He agreed, grabbing his coat and keys. Sliding into the backseat, you glanced around, making sure that Death hadn't returned. Dean stepped on it, sending pebbles flying as he burned rubber. Seeing Sam standing on the side of the road, Dean stopped long enough to pick him up before leaving the town in the dust.

"So, Death wants you back?" Sam asked you, looking a little spooked, and extremely tired once Dean had explained the rush.

"Yeah, but I told him I didn't want back in." You answered. "I like being a hunter. It feels right. Being a Reaper never felt right."

You could see the indecision crossing Sam's face. How much he wanted to reach back, to have that physical contact with you. But he wanted to respect your decision no matter how much he disagreed with it. Making you realize you weren't sure how much longer you could hold on to that decision before his puppy dog eyes, and his caring nature broke through the walls you had built. 

"You're a good hunter. Especially since you're a Reaper, and know so much about the Supernatural. Don't worry, Dean and I will do whatever we can to help you out."