Standing Out

Cas followed you back into the motel room, both of you confused, and a little bit nervous about the fact that neither of you had a clue as to what you were dealing with. It was stuck in the back of your head. You knew you had dealt with something like this before, but it had been so long ago you couldn't remember.

"Everything okay?" Dean asked, looking between you and Cas, his brows furrowed in confusion. You had figured keeping Cas back would pike Dean's interest. The two of you had only spoken a handful of times, so staying back to talk would seem weird.

"Yeah, it's fine. I just had a paper cut I wanted him to heal. It hurt like crazy." You lied, waving your hand around. You could see Sam standing behind his brother, shaking his head at your lame lie. Dean squinted his eyes, but decided he didn't want to take that part of the conversation any farther.

"Whatever." He said, rolling his eyes at you. "I just hope you're not trying to cheat on Sammy with the Angel."

You blushed, shaking your head furiously. Sam gave his brother a glaring look, and soon your little talk with Cas was forgotten. "I need to leave." Cas said, and in the blink of an eye he was gone. The three of you looked at each other, each one a little confused as to why he had puffed out of here with no explanation.

"This whole hunt is weird. I don't like it." Sam said, before grabbing his room key.

"Where are you going?" Dean asked him as you moved farther into the room, still feeling the effects of gluttony and greed in the air.

"I just need some air." Sam explained, but you could tell he was feeling off. His usually tanned face was pale, with a fine sheen of sweat covering his forehead and upper lip.

"Are you okay?" You asked him, placing your hand in his shoulder to stop him. He shook it off, shrugging his shoulders but saying nothing as he walked out the door.

"What's up with him?" Dean wondered outloud, staring at the door in concern. "The two of you have a fight? Maybe he was jealous."

Tilting your head, you stared at him. "Why would he be jealous?"

"You are dense aren't you. Sam likes you, and you just spent some undivided time with Cas. Hence the jealousy."

Before you could answer, Sam came rushing through the door, breathing heavily, a briefcase in his hands.

"You stealing now Sammy?" Dean asked, grabbing a beer, taking a sip before setting it down in disgust.

"It's Demons." Sam answered, "And he had this." Setting the case down on the table, the three of you crowded around it. You got as close to it as possible, your Reaper instincts knowing exactly what it was without seeing it.

"It's a soul." You whispered, ready and wanting to help guide it on. You could feel Dean stiffen up beside you, his gaze hot on. You knew you had made a mistake, but you couldn't help it. The soul was pulling on your every fiber of being a Reaper. Souls, pure souls such as this one were hard to resist.

You jumped when Sam grabbed your hand in his, giving you a reassuring squeeze.

"She is right. It is a soul. And I think I know what we are dealing with." You heard Cas say from behind you. The three of you turned to face him, both men surprised to see the Angel with his mouth full of hamburger, a bulging bag in his hand.

"What?" Sam asked as Dean continued to glance between you and Cas. You knew he wasn't going to forget what you had said.

"It's a horseman. Famine to be exact." He said, and it clicked in your mind. You hated the horseman, and famine especially. He created so much chaos wherever he went. The last time you had seen him was in the 1800s, in Ireland.

"I thought you were supposed to starve." Dean said in confusion.

"He just makes you Hunger for what you want most. For my vessel, it's red meat." Cas explained, shoving the rest of the hamburger in his mouth. "And I think I know where he is."

You listened as they planned on how to defeat Famine and get his ring. You kept your eyes in the briefcase, briefly glancing Sam's way to see him shifting from one foot to the other.

"Dean, please leave me behind." Sam finally blurted out, and Dean stopped talking to look at his brother. "He's protected by Demons, and I really don't think it's a good idea for me to be near them."

Dean groaned, running his hands through his hair. "Damn it Sammy. Cas can you blink him back to Bobby's?"

"That won't work Dean. He's already infected." Cas argued.

"Just tie me up here. Please." Sam begged. Dean argued a little more, but before you knew it Sam was cuffed to the sink in the bathroom. Sinking down so your face was next to him, you gently pressed your lips to his cheek, surprising the two of you. You had never in your long life started a kiss before, but you were glad you did. It made your insides tingle, along with your lips from the slight stubble on his cheek.

"Don't worry. I've dealt with a horseman before. I will keep your brother safe." You promised him.

As you moved to stand up, he reached out, his large hand easily wrapping around your wrist. "And you." He said. "Please keep yourself safe too." Nodding your head, you left the bathroom, watching as Cas moved the armoire in front of the door, blocking him in.

"He will be okay in there, won't he?" You asked.

Dean patted you on the shoulder before turning towards the briefcase. "What should we do with this?" He asked, and you reached forward and grabbed it, surprising him with how fast you moved.

"It stays here. We can deal with it later." You argued, your tone fierce.

"Okay!" Dean gave in, his hands in the air.

Breathing a sigh of relief, you walked through the door Dean was holding open. As you passed by him, he leaned down, whispering in your ear. "After this hunt is done, you and I need to have a talk. Because now I know for sure you're hiding something from me. And I want to know what it is."

You gulped, knowing your ruse was almost over. Wondering how he would take it, you slid into the backseat, Cas giving you a comforting glance.