Tense

Dean had woken up during the first part of the drive back, and for a second you feared you would have a knife in your gullet as he noticed you for the first time.

"Who the hell are you?" He questioned, holding out his knife in one hand, grasping his head with the other. The toss against the tree hadn't done his head any favors, but he would survive.

"My names Y/N." You said simply, not wanting to go any further just yet. Sam might know what you are, but you weren't exactly sure how he felt about it. And Dean had a shoot first, ask questions later type of mentality. Even though you couldn't die from being shot or stabbed, it would still hurt, and you didn't want to have to deal with that yet.

However Dean seemed more interested in what had happened at the site, but still kept his eyes on you warily. "What happened back there Sam?"

Sam was busy driving the car down the darkened road, and didn't take his eyes off to answer his brother. "The colt didn't work. Lucifer said there are certain creatures it doesn't work on and he's one. Then he did the spell and raised Death, and here we are." Sam summarized quickly.

Dean nodded as he listened on, lowering the knife as he concentrated on the conversation and not on you. "I get that the colt didn't work. But how did we get out of there in one piece? I figured he would have wanted you to stay there."

"He did. But he was too busy working the spell that he didn't notice Y/N and I slipping out of there with you." Sam added.

"So Y/N, how did you get mixed up with the whole Lucifer thing?" Dean asked, his attention turning once again back to you, his green eyed stare unnerving you.

Before you could answer, Sam did for you. "She had been passed by Lucifer's sacrifice, and offered to help me."

You just stared at Sam, wondering why he would lie for you. It wasn't as if he knew you, or cared if you lived or died. But you kept your mouth quiet, not wanting to create any discord between the two brothers.

"Thank you for your help Y/N." Dean said simply. "But now what?"

"For now she comes back to Bobby's with us. Then, who knows." Sam shrugged.

You knew you couldn't stay with them long. With Death being brought back, it wouldn't be long until you were called by your Creator, and maybe even given a special task. But you would stay with them as long as possible, basking in the fact that you were with your two favorite humans, and not just following them from afar.

Dean dropped the knife completely, before leaning back in the car. "This sucks rocks. First we lose Ellen and Jo, then we can't gank the devil, and know we have to go tell Bobby what happened. It's time for a drink." He moaned.

Without thinking, you almost transported a glass of whiskey into his hand, but then you remembered your subterfuge, and you stayed still.

"I'm sorry you lost your friends. At least they died fighting for a noble cause." You told him, trying to reassure him, but he shrugged it off.

"Yeah, for a freaking cause that didn't even work." He said, his anger and despair darkening his words.

"Dean." Sam threatened, and he shut up, content to stare into the dark for the rest of the trip. The three of you grew silent, and before you knew it the drive was over, and Sam was pulling into Bobby's junk yard.

You had followed them here multiple times, loving the way Bobby's house had a messy but lived in feel to it. You couldn't wait to meet Bobby, their surrogate father, and an amazing man in your eyes.

Sam slowed the car until it came to a stop right in front of Bobby's house, and you climbed out, staring in wonder. "Yeah, it's a mess, sorry about that." Sam apologized, but you shrugged it off.

"I think it's amazing." You whispered, looking at all the rusted cars lined up, all the history and stories that had taken place in each car.

Sam shook his head, but Dean gave you a weirded out expression as the three of you climbed the stairs to Bobby's porch. Sam knocked, and before you could take a breath a burly voice yelled come in from inside.

"Don't worry, his barks bigger than his bite." Sam assured you as Dean shoved his way through the door and you followed behind, a little insecure.

Dean brought you to a library room, every little space filled with different books, scrolls and tablets. Your fingers itched to comb through them, soaking up any information you could find. As a reaper, you had seen many things, watched civilizations rise and fall, but your one downfall was knowledge. You constantly craved it, and even though you might know everything these books contained, you could hardly contain the excitement that there was something new hiding in them.

So busy scoping out the books, you almost missed the man rolling about in the wheelchair. He had on a faded blue ball cap, his face covered in graying whiskers. His shirt was faded and full of holes, covered by a dingy and dirty flannel. He looked past Sam and Dean, his gaze hopeful. "Ellen?" He questioned.

Sam just shook his head, and you could tell Bobby knew what he meant. The light faded from his eyes, and he looked down at the paper in his hands. "Damn it." He muttered before throwing it in the fire, and you could just glimpse the picture before the flames flickered at the edges.

Rolling away from the fire, his gaze landed on you. "Who are you?"

Sam stepped up, and you watched Dean's eyebrows furrow, as he realized that Sam never let you answer for yourself. "She was able to survive Lucifer's sacrifice, and helped me out when Dean was unconscious. She had no where else to go, so I brought her with us."

Bobby studied you for a moment, and you could almost swear he read right through Sam's lie, that he knew what you were. "Glad you were there to help with the boys. You have a place here as long as you need it." He finally told you, and you felt the breath you had been holding in release.

"Thanks." You managed to say, and that was the end of it. You had been welcomed by all three hunters, and were now a part of their life, and you felt alive, or as alive as a Reaper could feel.