A Hoax

"Y/N, don'y you think I'm doing everything in my power to find a cure!" Dean yelled at you, his mouth in a pout as he stared down at you. With his hands running through his hair, he paced the small motel room, his long legs eating up the short distance between the walls. 

"Dean, I know you are." You told him softly. "It's just, I was wondering if I maybe went back to Death, gave him a bargain, maybe he could..."

Slamming his hand into the wall, you could hear the couple next door yelling angrily back. "Damn it Y/N, no! That is out of the question. We've been trying to hide from him already, and he has to be pissed. There is no way he would fix Sam, and not take something huge in return!" 

You knew Dean was right, but you felt like you were running out of options. Just like when Sam had been soulless, you were willing to do anything to help him out. Your neutral feelings from when you had been in Purgatory were long gone, and you wanted nothing more than to have Sam back with you, healthy and normal once again. "Okay. I won't do it." You said, stopping Dean in his tracks.

"No more arguing?" He asked you, staring at you warily. 

"Nope. We need to work on this together, or we won't be able to help Sam. And he's what matters." You answered. "Have any of your Father's contacts gotten back to you?" You asked him, while wondering if you could maybe reach out to a Reaper or two. Those that seemed to run with their own rules. 

"Not yet. But there's still hope." He said. "Are you going to visit Sam again today?" 

Nervously chewing your on your lip, you weren't sure. Last time you had gone to visit him, it had only broke your heart. He was even worse now, with his hair limp and greasy. His lean body was even leaner, and the nurses had told you he wasn't eating hardly at all. His eyes were bloodshot, with deep, dark circles underneath. When you had been there, his gaze had never fully been on you, but off to the left. Multiple times he caught himself talking to Lucifer, not you, and once he actually jumped forward, pulling you behind him like he was protecting you from somebody.

It had been heart wrenching to watch, and you hadn't been back since. Dean had, only once, coming back with a grimace on his face.

"I'm not sure." You admitted. "I hate showing up with no news, watching as Lucifer torments him. Reminding me that if we don't do something, and soon, it will all be over for Sam."

"I know how you feel. But he needs to know we haven't given up on him yet. That you and I are still by his side, still trying to figure things out." Dean told you.

"Maybe later. I want to do more research first." You hedged, just as his phone rang.

"Dean here" He answered, and you tried to listen to his side of the conversation. Watching as first his face was hesitant, but as the person on the other end talked, a glimmer of hope appeared on his face.

"Yeah sure. I can meet you.  Let me know when and where." Dean said, and you held out a piece of paper and a pen. Quickly writing onto the paper, Dean hung up the phone, giving you a hesitant smile.

"We might have a lead." He told you, and for the first time in weeks you let your hope get up.

"That's great!" You exclaimed. "When do we meet this person?"

It was later that day that you found yourself back in the passenger seat of the Impala as Dean gunned it down yet another highway. "Are you sure we can trust this guy?" You asked, thumbing through his dad's journal.

"I don't know." Dean sighed. "But it's worth a shot."

With that, Dean was pulling up behind a beat up pickup truck. A man stepped out, looking like a younger version of Bobby. He was wearing a beat up truckers hat, his coat peppered with holes. "Hey Dean, it's been a while."

"Yeah Steve, it has." Dean answered, shaking his hand while you stood off to the side, just watching.

"So I heard your looking for a miracle." He said, sticking his hands in his pockets. 

"We are." Dean answered, sounding much like a standoff between the two men.

"Well, all I can say is I found a man. Didn't believe in him myself first. But I was loosing my vision, and I couldn't have that. Weird type of guy, but he was able to heal me up. My visions 20/20, and I never thought that would happen ever again."

"No funny business?" You finally spoke up, not sure you trusted this man's story. A miracle worker seemed too good to be true. And you had been around long enough to know. There had to be some sort of catch.

"None." He said, shaking his head emphatically. "Listen, I like you and Sam, and you've done me a favor in the past. At least I can do is return the favor."

"Thank you." Dean told him.

"The guys name is Emmanuel. Lives about three hours from here. His wife takes his calls. Here's her number, hopefully they can help." Steve said, handing Dean the card before climbing into his truck and pulling away. 

"Are you sure we can trust him?" You asked Dean as the two of you climbed back into the Impala. "I don't mean Steve, but the Emmanuel guy. A man who can heal with the touch of his hand? Those have always been myths about those type of people, but they have always been just that. Myths. I don't want us to get our hopes up just to have them dashed again."

With his hands gripping the steering wheel, you could see the wheels turning in Dean's head. "I don't really trust this either. It reminds me of that rogue Reaper we met a long time ago, was being contracted by a lady. But I can't just let something like this pass by without checking it out. If it's a hoax we can stop it. If it's true, then we will ask them, by gun point if necessary, to save Sam. Because we're running out of time." 

Reaching over, you patted his shoulder. "I know we are. And I'm with you every step of the way."