Dragons

Sam's question rang in your head, as you furiously tried to come up with an answer that wouldn't give too much away. "I started hunting on my own." You finally answered, as Dean's eyes carefully watched you through the rear view mirror. 

"Seriously? I thought you would have gone back to being a Reaper." Sam exclaimed. "What made you change your mind."

Sticking as close to the truth as possible, you answered. "During the showdown at the cemetery, Lucifer zapped my powers away from me. So it wasn't plausible for me to return to my duties as a Reaper. Instead, Bobby took me under his wing, teaching me everything he knew."

"Bobby? Does that mean you followed through with my request Dean?" Sam turned his attention to his brother.

"Yeah, for a while but it didn't pan out. Lisa is an amazing woman, but I couldn't quite leave the life behind. Especially when I had to come save this girl." Dean teased you, but you could detect a hint of sadness behind his words. 

"At least you tried." Sam answered, before giving you one of his amazing smiles. A smile that no longer brought you as much joy as it had. Instead it was a constant reminder that your time with him was dwindling down.

Soon Dean was stopping at a motel, and Sam went inside to book a room for the three of you. "Dean, what would you do? Would you tell him if you were leaving in a couple of days? Or would you pretend like nothing was wrong, and vanish without a word? Both ways are killing me."

Both of you were standing at the back of the Impala, Dean ducking low to grab each of your bags. You could hear his sigh as he leaned back up, nibbling on his lip as he thought. "Y/N, what I would do is different than what most people would do. I'd probably pretend like nothing was wrong, because I know Sammy would try to fix things. But it's your choice, not mine."

"I just...I've even thought about leaving now. Because as much as I want to be with him, it hurts like hell, knowing our time together is coming to an end." You admitted, and Dean patted you on the back.

"Stay. I say don't say anything yet, just enjoy being with him. But if you leave now, you'll always be kicking yourself for missing these last moments with him." He answered just as Sam came back out with a key in his hand. A curious frown on his face, he looked between you and his brother, knowing he had missed out on an important conversation.

"What's up?" Sam asked, as Dean tore the key away from his brother's hand. Without another word, Dean left the two of you as he made his way to your room at the end of the motel. 

"It's nothing." You answered, even though you could sense the annoying feeling of tears close to falling. Turning your back to him, you shrugged your bag on your shoulder, ready to get into the room and forget all about your conversation with Dean.

"No it's not. I can tell." Sam insisted, turning you so you faced him. With his hands on your shoulders, he bent his neck down so he could gaze into your somber eyes. "Please, you know you can talk to me."

"No, I can't." You whispered quietly, throwing yourself against his chest and holding on tight. If you told him what you wanted to, which was everything, there was a very real possibility of the wall in his head shattering, and you couldn't have that. No matter how much you were hurting, it wasn't worth it.

"Y/N, you're scaring me." He whispered, holding you tight, giving you the comfort of his arms that you needed.

Taking a deep breath, you gazed up at him. "I'm sorry. I'm just tired I think. I'm so glad to have you back, that I'm still kind of emotional. It was hard without you here."

Seconds later you felt the press of his lips against yours, a sweet tender kiss, meant to get your mind off of things. It worked, a little bit, and you felt yourself melting into his arms. "Come on, let's get in the room. We've got a case to solve." He said softly after he broke the kiss. Keeping his arm around your shoulders, he guided you into the room, where Dean already had his laptop booted up and ready to go.

After checking to make sure you were okay, Dean turned his attention towards his brother. "So, I've been going through the files, and all of the victims are young, and female." 

"Has any of the victims survived?" Sam asked as you walked through the open door of the bathroom, planning on splashing some water on your face to calm yourself down.

"Yeah, one girl. She's at the hospital." Dean read off as you came back in the room.

"Let's go!" Sam exclaimed, ready to be back and in the swing of hunting. Dean stood up, gathering his coat, while you just stood there. "You coming?" Sam asked, and you nodded.

Soon, the three of you were opening the door to room 215, where the latest victim was healing from her attack. As soon as you walked into the room, you could feel the magical power reeling off of the girl, and you took a step back, almost overpowered by it.

"What is it?" Sam asked, his hand holding you steady while Dean went forward to talk to the girl.

"You can't feel that?" You asked, his shake of his head your answer. "It's ancient, and powerful. I've felt it before, but not for a long time. Not since my time in the..." You said, but your words trailed off as you took in the long scratches on the girls back.

"Not since when?" Sam insisted. 

"My time at the castle. I know what we're dealing with here." You whispered, pulling on Sam's hand, not wanting to be in the room any longer. 

___________________________

"So, you say we're dealing with a dragon? Seriously? I thought they were just myths." Dean argued once the three of you were safely back in your motel room.

"I have to agree with Dean. There's been nothing about them in hunter lore, and I've searched through it." Sam answered.

"That's because everyone thought they were extinct. Even us Reapers did. If there's one Supernatural being Reapers hate more than anything, it's Dragons." You said, a shiver running through your body as you remembered your first and only run in with one.

Threading his fingers through yours, Sam squeezed your hand. "Why is that?"

You shrugged. "I'm not sure, the hatred started before I was made. But I do know that we hate each other, and many Reapers took personal pleasure in killing off Dragons. It became a thing, which species could kill off the other. They almost got to me once."

"A Dragon can kill a Reaper?" Dean asked. "I didn't think much could kill off a Reaper."

"A Dragon's claws are deadly to a Reaper. One little swipe won't kill us, but will make us very sick. But if we get the full paw, then we're gone for." You explained, holding out your arm where you still had the nasty looking scar.

"Then you will stay in this room and let us take care of the hunt." Sam insisted, the serious look to his face booking no argument.