Soul's Return

After you had cemented the deal with Death, you had rushed back to the Impala, needing to get back to Sam. Death had promised to work quickly, and you wanted to be there when he came through with his part of the deal. You didn't want to think about what would happen afterwards, when you would have to leave Sam and never look back. Because if you thought about it, you would crumple up in the seat, the heart ache too much to bear. 

"Do you really think he will come through?" Dean asked, hope in his words for the first time since we'd found out about Sam's predicament. 

"Of course he will. He's Death. He doesn't promise what he can't pull through." You said softly, watching out the window as Dean drove back to Bobby's. 

"I still can't believe you agreed to his terms. We could have figured something else out." Dean started arguing.

"Dean, you would have done the same thing. I would rather have the old Sam back, that way the two of you can continue on. That's what is important. Not what I want." You answered. You felt as if you could cry, a feeling that was still foreign to you. 

"Y/N, I can't thank you enough for doing this for him, and for me. I will never forget it." He said, reaching over and grasping your hand before he pulled into Bobby's driveway.

Squeezing his hand back, you slid out of the car, making your way to the front porch where Bobby stood waiting. "Well?" He asked, watching as Dean joined you on the porch.

"It should be taken care of soon." Was all you said, not wanting to let Bobby know anything about the deal you had made. But he was a smart old man, and he could read you like a book. 

"Y/N, you silly girl. What did you do?" He asked, as the three of you made your way inside his house. 

"What needed to be done. Can we please leave it at that?" You asked, not wanting to go into further details. It made you realize that you weren't only leaving Sam behind, but the two other men who had become like family to you. Bobby was a father figure to you, and it broke your heart that the next time you would probably see him was when you were called to collect his soul. 

"Y/N." He said, disappointment lacing his words. That hurt more than you imagined. 

Instead of answering him again, you changed the subject, surprised at how long Dean had stayed quiet. "Where is he?"

Bobby huffed, before pointing down to the panic room. Without another word you made your way down the stairs, moving faster when you heard commotion behind the big, iron door. "Dean!" You exclaimed, throwing the door open as you heard his booted footsteps racing down the stairs. 

Sam was bound to the cot in the middle of the room, thrashing about wildly as Death stared down at him. You stood in the doorway of the room, Dean right behind you. Death had a briefcase in his hands, and he turned to look at you, his somber face even more so. "I'm really not sure this is a good idea."

"Please." You begged, afraid he would turn back on his commitment. 

He sighed, looking past you, towards Dean. "His soul was tormented, very badly. If I put it back in there, it will probably kill him."

"Isn't there something you can do?" You asked, a tear slipping down your cheek.

"I can put a wall up. But if he even scratches at it, it will be catastrophic." Death answered.

"Do it." Dean ordered, pushing you inside the room so he could see his brother clearly. "I can't have my brother walking around without a soul, so I say it's worth a shot."

By this time Bobby had joined you in the panic room, and the three of you watched as Death reached into his briefcase, pulling out a shinning blue mass. It was beautiful, as most souls were. There were those, you remembered from your time as a Reaper, that were dull and gray. Too poisoned from a hard, or evil life. But even though Sam had been possessed by Lucifer, and his soul had been locked in the cage, it was still a brilliant blue, pure and kind. 

Death pressed it down into Sam's chest, and you winced as Sam arched his back, his entire body tense. Even though he was unconscious, he was still in pain, and you wished you could take the pain away for him. 

It took only moments, and soon Death was pressing his fingers against Sam's head. "There, I've done all that I could. It's up to him now if he wakes or not. But if he does, he must not scratch at that wall I've put up. Or he will go insane, and probably die."

"Will he remember his time when he was soulless?" You asked as Death stood up.

"No, and if he tries to remember it, it will bring the wall crashing down. It's your job Dean to make sure that never happens." Death said, turning as if he was leaving. "Oh, and Y/N. I didn't forget about you. I will give you a week with Sam, then I will be calling for you."

"What about her powers?" Dean asked, surprising you.

Death walked over to you, pressing his hand to your chest. You felt a freezing pressure pass through your body, chilling your veins and your blood, and you gasped out in shock. As soon as it came, it was gone, and you felt different. Much like you had a year ago, when you were a Reaper. Power raced through you, and you felt disconnected from the world. After being human so long it was a weird feeling. And you weren't sure you liked it.

"Don't even try figuring out a way to get out of our contract." Death warned before vanishing. 

"Y/N?" Dean asked, staring you over.

"Yep, I'm a Reaper again." You answered him, before walking over to Sam. He looked pale and tired, with dark circles under his eyes. He was still, sleeping heavily, his long body twisted on the small cot. "When will he wake up?"

"Y/N, what did Death mean?" Bobby asked you.

"What do you mean?" You asked, never taking your gaze off of Sam, knowing that soon enough you wouldn't get the chance.

"Death said he gave you a week. A week for what?" Bobby insisted.

You sighed, reaching out and grasping Sam's cold hand in your own. "A week to be with you, and Dean, and especially Sam. Then I'm gone, never to return. To be a Reaper and nothing else."

"Y/N, you didn't." Bobby breathed out, hurt evident in his words. "Y/N, I know you wanted Sam back, but to do this? Are you sure you want to be a Reaper again? To be under Death's thumb?"

Another tear trickled down your cheek, followed by more, and you couldn't stop them. "It was the only way." Was all you could say. Bobby grumbled as he headed up the stairs, leaving you and Dean alone with Sam, waiting and hoping he would wake up.