Famine

The trip to Famine's location was quiet, filled only with the songs softly coming from the radio, and the sound of Cas munching away at his hamburgers. "Cas dude, how many is that?" Dean finally asked, looking disgusted.

"I've lost track. Somewhere in the hundreds. But they make me very happy." He said, before taking another huge bite. You were in the backseat, so you couldn't see him stuff himself full. You were grateful for that fact.

Cas, a mouth full of burgers, pointed across the street. "Dean, stop! He's in there!" He exclaimed, although neither of you could really understand what he was saying. None the less, Dean pulled over, waiting for Cas' mouth to be empty so he could say it again.

"Famine, he's in there." He said, and you knew it to be true. You could feel the emptiness, the deep black pit swirling around inside, and all it made you want to do was run the other way.

"You know Dean, I don't get it." Cas said, crushing the empty bag. "I'm hungering for red meat, Sam's hungering for Demon Blood. But you, you don't seem to be bothered by it." Cas said, thankfully skipping past you and your lack of hunger also.

Dean glanced back at you, before answering. "I don't really think I'm starved for anything. Hell, I'm well rounded. I drink if I want a drink, I eat a hamburger if I feel like it. I have sex when I want."

Cas shrugged his shoulders, taking Dean's answer at face value. "But what I don't get, is Y/N. She hasn't acted any different. I wonder why that is." Dean said, turning in his chair to study you.

"Oh, I feel Famine's pull. But for some reason it's not forcing me to go after something. "You hedged, trying to explain why you were okay without giving too much away. You could tell it didn't work, as Dean's eyes narrowed at you. But before he could ask anymore questions, Cas interrupted him.

"Dean, Y/N, I need to move now. You two stay here, I will go in, take care of Famine, and return with the ring." He said, staring at the restaurant. 

"Cas, let me go with you." You pleaded. You figured that out of all three of you, you would be the most likely one to succeed over Famine. He had no control over Reapers. You weren't sure how Death would take your interference, but you figured that was a battle for another time.

"I can do this." Cas argued, before zapping out of the car, leaving you and Dean alone.

"Great." You muttered under your breath, knowing this gave Dean the perfect opportunity to grill you. And just as you thought that, he was turning his body in his seat so his full attention was on you.

"Y/N, now is the perfect time for the two of us to have a little chat." He said.

If you truly had a heart, it would be racing, but right now all you felt was the adrenaline of fear kicking in. You didn't want this to be it, the end of your relationship just because of what you were. That didn't define you, not totally, but you knew Dean would have a hard time getting past the fact that you were a Reaper. "Don't you think we should keep an eye out for Cas? I don't think this will be as easy as he thinks." You tried changing the subject.

"Cas is a big boy, he can take care of himself." Dean threw out. "But what gets me, confuses me, is how you knew what it was, and what was in that case before an Angel did. A girl who supposedly lived a boring, out of the way life. Care to explain?"

"What if I can't explain? What if I just knew?" You said, frustration and annoyance darkening his eyes as you spoke the words.

He was about ready to say something else, when he glanced back at the restaurant. "Damn it Cas. He should be back by now."

You let your Reaper senses open, feeling all the empty bodies inside the restaurant, and all the greed and hunger located in the middle. "He hasn't finished it. We need to go in and help him!" You said, already opening your door and stepping outside. You rushed around the side of the car, only to be stopped by a hand on your wrist.

"Fine, we go in and help Cas. But then when we are done, you will tell me everything. No more trying to change the subject. You will answer my questions, every damn one. Got it?" He growled near your ear, and you just nodded.

He released your wrist, and the two of you made your way inside using the kitchen's side door. What met you inside had your stomach queasy. Humans laid everywhere, in various states of death. One had his head boiling in the fryer, while another laid on the ground, blood surrounding him. Gingerly stepping over the bodies, you moved into the main room, where more death waited you. But it wasn't the type of Death that drew you. These poor humans had already lost their souls, and not to be sent on, either. You could tell that these souls had suffered horribly, their bright light snuffed out by someone else's greed. It made you sick, and you wanted to curl into a ball and grieve for these poor people who never had a chance.

"Y/N? Let's keep moving." Dean whispered behind you, giving you a gentle push. Taking a big, deep breath, you stepped out farther, wincing as you saw the man in the middle. He was old, in body, but also in spirit, older than humanity. He sat in a wheelchair, his eyes scanning the room as if he was waiting for something. He had goons surrounding him, Demons dressed in black suits. You noticed Cas on the floor, his hands full of raw meat as he stuffed it in his face.

"No, Cas." Dean groaned from beside you, just as Famine noticed both of you.

"Y/N, Dean I was wondering when you would arrive." He said, his voice as frail and brittle as his body. "You're friend's a little preoccupied at the moment."

Dean lifted the Demon killing knife, holding it in front of him as he weighed his options. Famine noticed, a smile lining his face. "Dean, that won't work on me. I'm old. But don't you want to know why I don't affect you?" 

Dean hesitated, uncertainty crossing it's face as Famine came closer, his wheelchair buzzing as he moved it across the room. "It's because in here," He said, pointing at Dean's heart. "It's empty. One big, bottomless pit. You don't want for anything, because you're already dead inside."

You cringed at Famine's words, hating the look they put on Dean's face, knowing he believed every single word Famine was saying. "Stop it!" You yelled, charging over, freezing when the Demons stepped forward.

"And Y/N. I'm surprised to see one of your kind working with humans. Isn't human interaction against the rules?" He said. "I'm sorry I didn't leave you a job here, but they were just so tasty and I was so hungry." He told you, spreading his arm out to show you all the dead bodies.

As Famine backed his chair up, Sam came bounding into the room, his face stained with the blood of Demons. "Sammy, no." Dean pleaded, distraught at the fact that Sam had given in to his urge.

"Sam, my boy. I've been waiting." Famine said, looking almost gleeful at the fact that Sam was there. "I have a treat for you." He told him, pointing to the Demons on each side of him. 

Sam looked at them, "No." Was all he answered.

"Fine, then they're mine." Famine told him, and you watched as the black smoke left each body, before being swallowed by Famine. You had known he would eat almost anything, but you had never imagined he would eat Demons.

You turned back to Sam, just in time to see him raise his hand, turning it in the air as he concentrated hard. You looked back at Famine to see him writhing in his chair. "Sam, that won't work on me." He said.

"But it will work on them." Sam retorted, and you watched as Famine's belly seemed to swell, before bursting open in a cloud of black smoke.