Good things don't last Long

Reluctantly pulling yourself from Sam's arms, you searched his face, looking for answers to the doubts that plagued you while with Death. But what you saw had you relaxing, a soft smile grazing your face. He couldn't keep his eyes off of you, his smile huge as his hand reached for yours, pulling you down to sit next to him at Bobby's small table. It wasn't that sexy of a move, but it still brought an unknown feeling to your face, something warm and tingly. 

He kept his hand in yours as Bobby and Dean both came into the room. Dean grabbed some beers from the fridge, handing them out, before sitting down across from you. Bobby walked by you, patting you on the shoulder. "Nice to see you back kid. Don't worry, I laid into Dean when I found out what he had done."

Dean ducked his head, looking extremely guilty, and even though he had hurt you, you still felt bad for him. "It's alright. I understand where he was coming from. He was just trying to keep his brother safe. They've been burned by the Supernatural before."

Dean swung his head up, his eyes wide as he took in your words, before a sly smile crossed his face, bringing back the Dean you knew. The Dean you considered a great friend. "Well, she's back now, so there's no reason to fuss."

You watched as Sam glared at his brother, showing him he was still upset over the fact. You didn't want to see them get in an argument, so you swiftly changed the subject. "So Sam, Bobby, Dean told me you were trying to stop a deadly virus from hitting. I take it you were successful?"

Bobby nodded, just as Dean finished off his beer, getting up and ready to move out of the kitchen. "Yeah, between Sam, Cas and I we were able to stop it, and rescue the people trapped inside. Dean, where you going?"

Dean just shrugged, "I'll be back in a little bit." He exclaimed, before slamming the door shut behind him. 

"He seems different somehow." You thought out loud, noticing how his usual snarky and give em hell attitude had been subdued. 

Sam nodded, while Bobby looked down at the table. "While you were gone, he decided that he was going to give in, become Michael's vessel."

"No!" You exclaimed, shocked that he would have given in. "What happened?"

"Cas beat the shit out of him, locked him in my safety room. Took a couple of days before we could trust him again." Bobby explained.

"So, what happens next? Why didn't you guys contact me, ask for my help? I was with Death the entire time." You asked, still a little hurt that you had been cast aside. 

Sam gave your hand a squeeze. "I wanted to. But Dean thought you would be upset with us, and not want to help. Or that Death had you completely under his control, and you couldn't have done anything anyways. Or Dean also thought you would turn on us, and we never would have received Death's ring." He explained.

Searching his eyes with your, silently begging for him to see how truthful you were. "I would never turn on you. Truth be told I would double cross Death before I did it to you. And that's saying a lot."

He leaned forward, pressing his lips softly to yours, as you heard Bobby scoff in the background. "You kids." He muttered, and you found yourself chuckling into Sam's lips, his curling up in reaction to your laugh.

"What is it?" He asked, pulling away a centimeter so his words weren't muffled. 

"Bobby called me a kid. Just struck me as funny since I'm centuries older than him." You giggled, watching as Sam frowned. "What is it?"

"I knew you were a Reaper, but it never truly dawned on me how old you were. Am I falling in love with a cougar?" He asked, just as Bobby choked, before you heard him scrape his chair back.

"And that's it for me." He muttered, leaving the room.

"What's that mean?" You asked, confused, making Sam chuckle. He shook his head, before pressing another kiss to your lips. 

"It's not important." He answered. "It's just a term some people use for women dating younger men."

You nodded, having a feeling you would never catch up on humanities lingo. "Sam, back to the main topic. What is your plan now that you have the rings?"

You watched as his entire body tensed, and he leaned away from you. A feeling of dread filled your entire body, surprising you at the intensity of it. "Sam?" You pleaded, as he stood up, doubling the distance between the two of you. What had just been a warm and amazing moment was now turning into something you wished you could take back.

"Well, Dean and I've talked about it. And we think the only way to trap Lucifer, is to let him use me as his vessel." He told you quietly, leaning back against the counter, waiting for your reaction.

"Sam, no. There has to be another way!" You pleaded. Out of everything, you had never imagined it would come down to this. 

"It's the only way. I'll trap him, Dean will use the rings, and we will put him back in his cage." He told you.

You stood up, wrapping your arms around yourself, needing some sort of comfort after what you had just heard. "And you? You'll be locked in the cage with him?"

He nodded, staying silent. "Well, if that happens, I'll come down and free you! I'm a Reaper. I know we aren't usually allowed in Hell, but there's ways in. I'll find one of them, and bring you back." You started rambling, but he came forward, grabbing your shoulders.

"Y/N, no. I won't let you. It's too dangerous, and I don't want you to risk yourself by trying to save me." He argued with you. "And there's always the fact that by opening the cage, Lucifer could get out. So no." 

You felt a tear slipping down your face, despair settling in at the thought of losing Sam. Brushing it away angrily, you stared up at him. "Sam, please."

He shook his head, his face showing he wasn't going to let you argue any more. "Please. You have to promise me this! I can't go into the cage unless I know you will be safe."

You stood there, his hands tight on your shoulders, weighing your options. You wanted, with every fiber in your being to stop him, or at least try and rescue him when he succeeded. Because you had every faith in him that he would. But you also didn't want to send him down in that pit, worrying about you.

"Sam, two times I've let myself get close to humans, to feel emotions that I'm not supposed to. And both times it's come back to bite me. Do you know how much this is killing me? What you are asking is tearing me apart." You sobbed, as he pulled you to him, wrapping you tightly in his arms.

"I know, but it's the only way. Please Y/N. I don't want to spend eternity down there, having to worry about you trying to break into hell." He whispered into your hair, before pressing a harsh kiss to the top of your head.

Taking a deep breath, you nodded, feeling his entire body relax as he felt your answer.