Coffee

You pretended to sleep, but it was hard. You had no real idea what people did when they slept. You knew they had dreams, or nightmares, but not how they actually fell asleep. You tried, wondering if it was possible for a Reaper, but just closing your eyes wasn't working. You willed yourself to sleep, but all you earned was a pain in your head.

You were about ready to give up, when you heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Sitting up, you watched as Sam slowly made his way down, his movements tired and heavy. As soon as his eye level hit the main room, he looked over to you, his eyes widening as he realized it was you, not his brother.

"Dean?" He asked, his voice quiet, attempting to not wake Bobby. He had made his way to you by then, his hair ruffled from sleep, the scruff of a beard starting to form on his cheeks and chin. He was very handsome, but it wasn't his good looks that attracted him to you. It was how, even after everything he had gone through, he was still a good person, with a beautiful soul.

"Dean went to sleep in the Impala. He gave me this bed. It was very nice of him, but I don't know how to sleep." You rambled on, the tall, hunter making you nervous, which was a new and somewhat upsetting feeling for you.

"Reapers don't sleep?" Sam questioned, settling his long, lanky build onto the window seat beside you. He was so close you could feel the heat radiating from his body, his unique and amazing musky smell permeating the air.

"No, at least not that I've heard of. But I'm kind of a loner, so I don't know what a lot of the other Reapers do." You explained to him.

He nodded. "I understand you there. I've always been kind of a loner too. Makes for a hard life."

You blushed, unsettled that the great Sam Winchester had something in common with you. "Sam, why did you let me come with you? And why not tell your brother?" You asked, needing to know.

Sam was quiet for a moment, his gaze cast downward, studying his hands. "I'm not really sure. I just could sense that you were there to help us, that you didn't mean us any harm. I hope that's true, because the last Supernatural being I trusted, ended up double crossing me. But Dean doesn't trust any Supernatural beings. That's why I thought it was better to keep it a secret for now."

You had the sudden urge to comfort him. Placing your hand on his shoulder, you felt the muscle tense under your hand. "I promise I don't plan on double crossing you. I was there for my creator's raising, but truthfully, I was more interested in helping you out."

He focused his hazel gaze on you then, studying you closely. "Why? You didn't know me, you didn't know Dean. And I know you were probably excited that Death was back."

You nodded. "I was excited, I still am. Death is my creator, but not only that, he is one of the few beings in this universe that I can trust. But I didn't feel comfortable being around the other Reapers. I know Death would come for me, in his own time, to see how I was doing. But you, you needed help, to get away from Lucifer, whom I can't stand. And I couldn't just stand there, and watch Dean die, and you get turned into Lucifer's meat suit." You explained to him, skipping the fact that you already knew who they were, and you had been following them.

Sam grasped your hand in his, yours dwarfed by the size of his. "Thank you. I mean it. And you have a place with us, for as long as you need it. But will Death be angry you are with us, the men smack dab in the middle of the apocalypse?"

You were still shocked that Sam was holding your hand, that you didn't hear his question. "Y/N?" He said, and you snapped out of it. "Oh, I'm sorry. It's just, I'm not used to human touch. At least, living humans. What were you saying?"

He blinked his eyes at you. "Really? But I was just asking if it was safe for you to be here with us? If Death would be mad? Because you can stay with us as long as you need to."

You stared up at him, mesmerized by how nice and real he was. "Thank you Sam. I don't think Death will have any issue with it. And I would like to stick around. At least for a little bit."

Before he could answer, Bobby started clomping down the stairs, and Sam pulled his hand away, standing up and moving to the kitchen. Bobby glanced at you, then looked at Sam, his eyebrow raised in question. He didn't say anything, he just moved into the kitchen, starting the coffee pot, while Sam pulled some eggs out of the fridge. 

At the same time the front door opened, and Dean stepped inside, yawning widely. "What's for breakfast?" He asked, just as his stomach rumbled, and you held back a laugh. 

"Eggs and bacon. Now get your ass over here and get the bacon going." Bobby ordered, which Dean quickly complied. You sat there, watching how the three men moved around each other with ease.

"Hey Y/N, how do you take your coffee?" Bobby asked you, and you stared up at him dumbfounded. 

"Coffee?" You asked, and all three men turned to look at you.

"Y/N, haven't you ever had coffee before?" Dean asked you incredulously.

You shook your head, a little ashamed of the fact. But as a Reaper, you never had to eat. You had enjoyed food on occasion, just to taste it, but you had never tried coffee.

"Wow." Dean muttered, before pouring something dark into a cup and handing it to you. "Careful, it's hot."

You breathed in the aroma, surprised at how amazing it smelled. Taking a sip of the almost black liquid, you were surprised how smooth, but bitter it was at the same time.

"What do you think?" Sam asked you, three pairs of eyes trained on you.

"It's different. But I don't mind it." You replied.

"Well, we've brought another one over to the dark side." Dean teased, before turning to work on the bacon. The three continued to work, while you sipped on the bitter liquid, wondering what other human wonders they would introduce you to.