Summoning Death

While you set up the makings of the spell, Dean made himself feel more comfortable by getting different weapons out of the trunk of the Impala, even though none would work against Death. You cracked a smile when Dean pulled out the grenade launcher, a wistful look on his face before he placed it back.

"So what's the plan again?" He asked, pacing around you, the nervous energy too much to keep him still.

You sliced your palm, wincing at the flashing pain. Dripping the blood down in the copper bowl, you turned your attention to Dean. "I summon him here, beg for him to help us bring back Sam's soul."

"Sounds simple." Dean answered, shrugging his shoulders.

Wrapping a bandage around your hand, you frowned. "I wish it was. Maybe you should stay in the car. I really don't want anything to happen to you if this goes awry." 

"Hell no. You're doing this for my brother. The least I could do is stand by your side." He argued, giving you no choice but let him stay there.

Taking a deep breath, you chanted the words that would bring Death to you, all the while praying you weren't signing your own death warrant by doing so. As the last words left your lips, you tossed the remaining ingredients into the bowl, watching as it flared up in flames. Turning in a circle, you waited for him to arrive, your hands shaking. 

"Did it work?" Dean asked you, as he looked all around.

You turned in a circle one more time before landing your gaze back on him. "I really don't know. Usually he answers right away. But maybe he was able to fight it this time, I don't know."

"Just because I didn't come the split second you called doesn't mean I wouldn't come at all." Death's low and almost monotone voice sounded from closer to the Impala. Dean spun around, his eyes wide as Death ran his hand along the gleaming black side of the car. "Dean, I have to admit, you drive a beautiful car."

"Thanks." Dean stammered, and you didn't blame him. Staring Death in the face was always an overwhelming feeling, and most humans didn't live to tell the tale.

"Y/N, I wondered what happened to you." Death said, surprising you by pulling you into his bony arms. "I didn't think you had died, for I would have felt it. But you were off of the Reaper radar, and I couldn't find you."

"Lucifer turned me human." You explained, and Death nodded before leaning against his cane.

"I've never cared for Lucifer." He said casually, as if you were talking about an office coworker and not the devil himself. "Is that what you summoned me for? Because you know how much I hate being summoned like this."

You gulped, his disapproval weighing heavy on your shoulders. "I'm sorry. I know how much you hate it. But I had no other choice."

"Yes, I can turn you back into a Reaper. Actually, I really do need you. Every since this bonehead over here started the apocalypse my Reapers have been dying nonstop. I could use the extra hand."

"Actually Death, that's not what we called you here for." Dean said, stepping into the conversation. "You see, my brother went to hell to stop Lucifer and somehow he was brought back. But without his soul, and that's causing some issues."

You heard Death sigh, and you knew that was probably not a good sign. "You Winchesters. I have given the two of you more leeway than any other human on the planet, and yet stuff like this still happens. Whose to say that I won't just put him back in the cage with his soul, and call it good?"

"Please." You pleaded with Death. "You can't do that. Sam's a good person, who has done so much good for this world. Can't you do this one little favor, please?"

You watched as the wheels turned in Death's head, watching as he stared at you while he made his decision. "What you ask is not easy. And even if I do, it could kill him, or cause unfixable brain damage. Is that really what you want?"

"I want my Sam back." You whispered, tears streaking down your face. 

You were surprised to see Death's attitude soften as he gave you one of his seldom used smiles. "I suppose there might be a way to put up a wall, to keep his time in hell hidden so it doesn't melt his brain."

"Oh thank you!" You exclaimed, clasping your hands together. 

Death raised a hand, stopping your celebration. "But if I was to do this, I need something in return."

"Of course, anything." You started saying, just as Dean reached out and grasped your shoulder. 

"Y/N, maybe we should hear his conditions before we blindly accept." He told you, being the voice of reason in place of his brother.

Death turned a shocked look to Dean. "Dean, I never expected you to be the reasoning one. I always thought that was Sam."

Dean shrugged, standing up to Death. "Well, with Sam indisposed at the moment, someone needs to be. And no matter how much I want my brother back, it's not worth jumping right in."

Death tapped his chin with his long, skinny fingers. "Hmm, it's nice to see you growing up Dean. And as for my conditions, it's simple. I will return Sam's soul to him, along with giving Y/N all of her powers back on this condition. That as soon as Sam is back up and running, Y/N becomes my right hand person, leaving you and Sam for good. No more hunting, no more foolish talks of loving a human. I'm in need of my top Reapers by my side, and this is my offer."

Dean pulled you back, away from Death's listening ear, a frown on his face. "Is it really worth it? We can look for another way. You don't have to go back to him, living a lonely life as a Reaper. Sam wouldn't want you to do that for him." Dean argued, but your mind was already made up.

"Dean, neither of us can stand seeing Sam like this. And who is to say there is another way? I'm a Reaper, I've been living among humans for a long time, and I've never heard of another way. It will be hard, not getting to be with Sam, or even you, but it will be worth it, bringing your brother back." You said, wiping a tear back. Truthfully, you weren't even sure you wanted your powers back, you were starting to like being human, knowing that you wouldn't have to watch the people you love die while you never age. But you would do anything to have Sam back, even if it meant you didn't get to be with him anymore.

Dean roughly pulled you into a hug, pressing his hand tight to the back of your head, his voice thick with emotion. "I won't ever be able to thank you enough for doing this. For sacrificing your life for my brothers."

Stepping back from Dean, you took a deep breath, before facing Death who was starting to look impatient. "I agree. Let's do this."