Frustration

It had been three days since you had left Bobby house behind. Three days since you had seen Sam's dimpled smile, or argued with Dean. During those three days, you had stayed holed up in your tiny apartment, laying listless on your bed.

You weren't mad at Dean. You couldn't be. He had been burned so many times he had learned not to trust anyone,  especially Monsters. It just hurt that he couldn't see past that label and see you for what you really were. As Monsters went you didn't think you were too bad. You had even managed to save him a couple of times.

What hurt the worst was not being able to see Sam, or even be near him. You had kept the cell phone, but so far he hadn't texted you, making you wonder if you had just been a little fling, and he didn't care that you were gone.

It was hard, having all these self doubts. Most Reapers were sure, and full of themselves, but you had been more in tuned to humans, sharing a couple of their emotions. In a fit of frustration, you threw your coffee cup across the room, the shattering porcelain sounding like music to your ears. "Why do I have to get close to humans? Why do I have to be so different from the rest of my kind? It only leads to heart break." You yelled in your empty apartment, letting lose some of your frustration and disappointment. 

"Because you are different than the rest of your kind. Always have been, always will be. That's why I kept you with the Winchesters." Death said from behind you, before leisurely walking forward and focusing on your shattered cup. "Pity, I liked that cup." He said before flicking his hand at it, making it as good as new. Leaning down, he picked it up, before handing it to you. "Don't take out your frustration on inanimate objects. They aren't worth your energy." 

"Death. I, um.. Hello." You stuttered, more than a little flustered that your creator had seen your little hissy fit. "I'm sorry you had to see that."

He sat down on the chair you kept specifically for his visits. It was old and worn leather, bought in the 1800s. Keeping it with you as you moved from place to place, making sure that Death's favorite chair was placed in your new home before anything else. Made of brown leather, it didn't match anything else in your place, but you didn't dare exchange it out.

He waved his hand, pointing to the couch across from him. "Sit. And tell me why you are here, and not shadowing the Winchesters." 

You sat down, twirling your hair nervously around your finger. You had a hard time reading Death still, and you weren't sure if he was just curious, or angry with you. And an angry Death was not something you wanted to mess with.

"I think I told you that we decided it would be a good idea to not tell Dean what I am." You reminded him, and he nodded. "Well, the subterfuge kept getting worse and worse, and he started to notice things. He's smart, I'll give him that. Well, I used some of my power to heal Sam after dealing with Famine, and I had to tell him. There was no way around it." You explained.

He was quiet for a moment, his fingers steepled as he contemplated your words. "I understand why you did what you did. It was actually following my orders to make sure they stayed safe."

"What do you want me to do? Do you want me to still follow them, but stay invisible?" You knew you had to ask. You wanted to more than anything. But you were afraid he wouldn't let you, instead putting you on some other mission.

"I think I want you to be by my side for the time being. I trust your opinion, and I have a feeling I will need your help sooner rather than later." He said, before standing up.

"But sir, are you sure? Because I can do both. I can help you out while still shadowing them. I'm worried one of them will do something stupid, and I want to be there to try and stop it if it happens." You almost begged to him, forgetting your place.

He turned to face you, his hand resting securely on the cane he carried with him everywhere. "Y/N, my mind is made up. I trust the Winchesters will be able to survive. I know for a fact that I will be seeing Dean soon. But I think the best place for you to be, is by my side. I will give you ten minutes to gather any items you want, and get your place ready for your departure. You will be staying with me."

You nodded, knowing there was no way you could go against his wishes. Taking a deep breath, you headed into your bedroom, looking around. You pulled a bag out, grabbing some clothes. You didn't have much in the way of possessions, and you didn't need to take much with you. 

Taking the phone and the charger from your nightstand, you decided to text Sam a quick message. You weren't sure if he would read it, or even cared, but you wanted to let him now where you would be. "Sam, Death came visiting ,and requested that I stay by his side during this time. I hope everything is well with you and Dean. If you need anything, please text and I will try to make my way to you. I miss you." The last part of the text was sent on a whim. You truly did miss your tall, kind hunter, and the smile he seemed to reserve just for you.

Sighing, you tossed the phone into your bag, before grabbing it and heading back out into the main room. Death stood at the door, glancing down at his watch as he waited for you. "Nicely done Y/N. You were done in seven minutes. I do love being punctual."

"Aren't we transporting?" You asked Death.

He shook his head, pulling out a set of keys. "No, I've decided I like driving. And I'm not too far away."

You followed him out the door, making sure it was locked. Turning around, you were surprised to see a long, gleaming white classic car with huge fins. "Really?" You asked him.

Death gave you a rare smile. "She's a beauty isn't she?" He said before climbing into the driver's seat. You tossed your bag behind you before sitting in the passenger seat. Death pulled the car away from the curb, and you watched as your apartment slowly faded away. Your hand on your chin, you wondered what was going to happen now, and what Sam was up to.