Fitting In

The rest of the afternoon was enjoyable, spending most of it helping Dean work on his car, learning what made her run. Dean was funny, and smart, and knew a lot about the machine. Afterwards, the two of you returned to Bobby's house, where he handed you a beer. This time you took a sip, barely making a face. Bobby was in the kitchen, standing next to the stove, where something was bubbling away.

"Where's Sam?" You asked, glancing around the room, wanting to see a glimpse of your tall, shaggy haired hunter.

Bobby stopped stirring long enough to answer. "He went to go get cleaned up. He'll be back down in a little bit."

You nodded, before you walked over to Bobby, staring down at the fascinating mixture in the pot. You had always been fascinated by human food, but you hadn't had that many chances to try things. "What is this?" You asked Bobby.

"Chili. Have you been hiding under a rock girl? First, you've never had coffee, now you have no idea about chili? Who are you?" He asked, his eyes growing big as he stared at you with concern.

Just then Sam came into the room, saving you from your predicament. "Bobby, calm down. Some people eat other food, healthier food, than what we usually do."

You nodded, grateful for the help. "Yep. My family was health nuts." Smiling at Sam, you took in his hair still dripping water onto his shoulders, the messy mop even more so from the cleaning.

"Man, you really are perfect for Sammy than." Dean said, rolling his eyes, and you blushed, glancing underneath your lashes to look at Sam. Sam was glaring at Dean, looking as if he wanted to strangle his brother.

"I'm sorry if I'm causing any problems. I've just been out of the human loop for so long, I'm not sure what a lot of things are." You told them, only for them to all turn and stare at you.

"What did you say?" Bobby asked, dropping the spoon, and turning to you, his arms crossed against his chest, as you realized you might have said the wrong thing.

"Well...I...I just..." You stuttered, turning to Sam for help. "My family lived far off the grid. We never really had any modern conveniences, and I always resented that. So, um..I always felt like .."

"Don't worry. We get it." Sam said, staring at Bobby and Dean, trying to silently convey a meaning. "You didn't feel like a part of anything, never given a chance to try things on your own."

You nodded, grateful that Sam was able to help you save yourself. Because you were certain that if Dean figured out your secret, you would be tied to a chair, or worse, dead. Because Bobby was smart enough he could figure out a way to kill a Reaper, and he would help Dean.

You nervously turned, looking at both Dean and Bobby, who were both still staring at you, identical looks on their faces. They might have bought your lie, but because of your slip up, you had lost what little bit of trust they had given you.

"Soups on." Bobby announced, before turning back to the stove, and turning it off. Sighing, you followed Sam as he grabbed a bowl and dished some food out. Following his lead, you dished out the pungent food, sniffing suspiciously . 

Sitting down at the table, you picked your spoon up, only to feel a sudden pull. It felt as if someone had placed a leash on you and they were pulling their end, getting you to come to them. You tried to sit there, acting as if nothing was wrong, but it kept getting stronger and stronger, and you knew you wouldn't be able to resist much longer.

"Excuse me please." You told them, standing up, swaying as the tugging increased.

"Is everything okay?" Sam asked you, standing up to make sure you weren't going to faint.

Grabbing his arm for support, you shook your head. "I don't feel well. Can you help me up the stairs?" 

He nodded, wrapping a supportive arm around your shoulder, guiding you through Bobby's cluttered house, and up the narrow stairs. He opened the first door you came to, guiding you into a small bedroom. It was tiny, but cozy, with a brass bed against one wall, a colorful but faded quilt placed on it. Across from it was a dresser, scratched, and dull. 

Sam guided you over to the bed, where you gratefully sat down on it. "What's a matter?" He asked.

Laying down, you closed your eyes. "Death, he is calling for me. I can't resist his call any longer."

"What do you need me to do?" He asked, and you feel him standing over you.

"I'm going to pass out. Just make sure nobody comes and interrupts me." You told him, before you let yourself go to the calling.

It was always weird to you, answering a call this way. Usually, you were able to transport yourself to wherever he was calling you from, but today you didn't want to take that chance.

This was by far trickier and harder. You left your body behind, leaving it vulnerable to any enemies, and if someone startled you back to your body, you could become disoriented and lash out.

You immediately arrived at wherever Death was, and by the looks of it, he had taken residence in a fancy apartment. It was full of heavy, antique furniture. Furniture you remembered seeing during your time in the 1800's. There was a fire blazing in the hearth, while Death sat at a small, circular table in front of it.

He was alone, with a crystal glass of whiskey in his thin hand, and you watched the other hand wave you forward, before pointing to the chair across from him.

You did as you were told, your ethereal self fading in and out of focus as you fought to control it. Since you didn't use this form often, it was harder for you to keep it in focus.

"Hello, my dear." He said, not moving his gaze from the red sparks being emitted from the fire.

"Hello sir." You answered.

He sat there quietly for a moment, and you wanted to push him, but you knew that wasn't a good idea. You never hurried Death, he worked on his own schedule.

Finally, he spoke again. "How is it going with the Winchesters?"

"It's going okay, I think. Sam knows what I am, but he doesn't mind. Dean doesn't know, and I want to keep it that way. But they both seem to trust me, and are letting me into their lives."

"Good." He answered, nodding his head. "But, I might need to pull you away from them soon."

Your heart plummeted. You weren't ready to leave Sam's side yet, but you knew there was no way you could go against Death's orders.