Chapter 2: If Only You Were A Vampire

I couldn’t bring myself to pretend what happened was nothing. You would think after living more than 200 years, that the ability to keep memories would leave you. But no, my stupid little vampire mind refused with all of its pride. And the ghost of those 9 months had stayed with me from when I went into that mall, and came out looking suspicious dressed in black pumps and a silk black hoody.

I guess black was the new Vampire.

Silverhead high. The one and only. Okay, not true, because I’m pretty sure it had a sister school in England.

But that was where I was. Standing in front of the school I remembered eagerly searching a year ago to find Trevor’s doppelganger, and boy did I find him. I had no doubt that he was here. With the Bennet witches to protect him from anyone that came his way, this would be the first place he would go. Because unlike me, he still had family: Parents, younger brother and sister.

I just wanted to see him. That’s all I wanted. I promised myself I wouldn’t bother him no more. In those 9 months in that abandoned hotel, I promised myself a lot of things. And that was to let him spend time with his family, and move on, even though he was basically mine. The only person who had cared enough to stay with me. Who was nice to me. Who asked me about how I felt.

I muffled a sob.

I would see him. Then I would leave. Just once.

I pulled up the hood of my hoody and kept to the shadows, the day ring tingling on my finger. I had no clue how strong Ava would be, If she would be able to sense my vampire energy airborne or by touch. So I summoned my weak witch energy and altered my aura so I was just another human to her. As long as she didn’t see my face.

A bell rang in the distance, signalling lunch. I relaxed my tense shoulders and casually walked into the main office, smiling at the lady at the counter before leaning into stare at her.

“I need a visitors pass,” I said, using compulsion. If I was going to spy around, at least some part of it would be legal. The woman looked at me and smiled.

“Hello Dear. Visitor’s passes are only available to immediate relatives or friends of the students and staff business.” Her voice was sickly sweet, and I didn’t have to check her tea to know it was swarming with vervain. The whole school must be vervain drinkers and I didn’t have to think twice to know this was a damn Bennet Witches doing.

Seriously? I can’t go anywhere without a Bennet Witch waving their magic wand at me. I’d rather there be a billion Hermione Grangers then another Bennet walking the earth. If only Witches couldn’t breed like vampires. Would make life a whole lot easier.

“Oh Silly me,” I said in a high pitched voice. “I am…” What was a name that was really common? “Amanda’s Sister. I’ll be going to school here soon and just wanted to visit.”

The receptionist smiled a big toothy grin and nodded, “Alright. I’ll call Amanda out of class to see you. Here’s your badge,” she chucked a flimsy plastic card with a clip on the back of it, “Just take a seat,” she pointed at the seat, “and she’ll be with you in a second.”

Why do I even bother with humans?