Cole and Mason

(Your POV)

     I blacked out again as soon as the figure lifted me out of my car. All that I remember was them putting me in the back of their car and driving away. I was fully awake when they started to talk. I glanced at my arm and realized it wasn't hurting as bad. I saw that my knife was gone and a shirt was wrapped around where my knife was.

     "We have to find a hospital!" I hear a guy voice says. The other voice sighed.

     "Mason, we don't even know this girl. And besides how do we know if the hospitals are still running? You head the news reporter, we aren't even supposed to be outside right now." This voice sounded a bit deeper then the last one.

     "That's back in the city Cole. We don't know about here!" The other exclaims. I need to say something to them.

     "Why aren't the hospitals running anymore?" I managed to get out in a raspy voice. The guy in the passenger seat looks back at me and smiles.

     "This is probably suspicious as fuck, but trust us. We're going to take you to a hospital. Oh, I about forgot, my name's Cole, and my friend who's driving is Mason." He says. I give him a small smile.

     "What's going on?" I say, my voice starting to somewhat return back to normal.

     "There's this...... disease I guess and it's starting to infect everyone! Not just in California but everywhere else. This disease makes people...... Hungry for living things, people. One was trying to get in your car but we luckily we shot it. Apparently you have to hit them in the head to they die." He says. Disease? Eating people? Headshot?

     "To me....... and please don't throw me out of the car for this thought but what you just said........ It sounds like you're crazy. Zombies aren't real, they can't be real!" I exclaim. This time even Mason looks back at me.

     "Believe me I wish I was crazy. But that's what's going on." He says.

     Suddenly I start to see red and blue lights start to flash everywhere. I try sitting up but pain still comes to my head. Cole ushers me to lay back down. As the lights continue to flash I get a look at Coles face and see that he looks around my age.

     "You need to stay lying down." He says. The car starts to slow down. Cole looks forward and looks around.

     "What the hell is going on?" He says. The car stops and Mason roles down his window.

     "You can't be in this area! You have to turn back now!" An officer says through the window.  Cole leans over.

     "You don't understand! She needs a doctor! The hospital is right up the road!" He says. I start to hear gunshots go off. Tons of them. The officer looks at us for a split longer and then starts to run off.

     "Fuck, now what do we do?!" Mason exclaims. He puts the car into park and looks back at me.

     He turns on the light and I see him and Cole clearly now. Cole has jet black hair, freckles, bright green eyes, and looks like he's a body builder. Mason has blonde hair and dark blue eyes with glasses. They both stare at me, like they're waiting on an answer.

     "I...... Can you take me to San Diego? I was heading there before I crashed. And maybe there a hospital there." I say. They both look at each other and turn back in their seats. Cole turns of the light and sighs.

     "Yeah....... Maybe it isn't as bad there." Mason says. He takes the car out of park and turns around. Cole sighs and shakes his head.

     "Dude, it's everywhere, EVERYWHERE! There is no safe place anymore!" Cole yells. It stays quiet for a little bit.

     "Anywhere specific you want to go?" Mason asks. Shit...... I don't know the address to Lui's.

     "Do you guys have a phone that I can use?" I ask. Cole reaches in his pocket and pulls one out.

     He hands it to me and looks back at me. I start to type in Hopes number. Not even a single ring happened. All I got was no signal. I ended the call and tried again, getting the same results. I groan in frustration and hand the phone back to him. He turns back around and sighs. Hopefully I remember Lui's house by memory.

     "The power grids must've gone down." He says. Mason looks at him before looking back at the road.

     During the whole course of the ride. I managed to sit up the right way. Of course my head was hurting like shit, but I manger to sit up. The headaches went away after a while of sitting up.

     "Can I have my knife back?" I ask into the silence. I saw Cole reach on the ground for something and then sit back up.

     "If you plan on shanking us. Just know that I'm not afraid to kill you." He says. I saw as Mason looked at him horrified.

     "What? I'm just saying." He says. He hands me my knife back hesitantly. I take it and slide it in my pocket.

     As we near towards San Diego they start to slow down. Okay..... Come on memory, you need to work now! Maybe...... Go to the convention center and then work our way back? I guess we have to. But before I even get a word out I look at the skyscrapers of San Diego in the distance. I'm so used to cities being lit up, it's weird having them all down.

     "Head to the convention center. I ha-" I was cut off by Cole.

     "Are you mad?! Going into the city at night?! Have you watched any zombie movies?!" He exclaims. Mason sighs and starts to drive. Cole looks at him like he's crazy.

     "Are you crazy?! We're gonna get killed!" He says. Mason continues to drive.